cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A General Where-to-Service Question

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
We had our first look-see at Class A coaches over the weekend, just starting browsing around to figure out what it is we do and don't like in them. DW brought up a point and I'm wondering just how valid it is:

She thinks buying from Camping World might be the best option because of the nation-wide dealer/service network.

I love Camping World (topic for another post) but I wonder how much of a difference it will really make. I can't imagine any RV place refusing service for the RV part of the coach just because you didn't buy from them. And if we get the Ford V10 for example, any Ford service center should be able to provide whatever drive train service is needed.

Comments/opinions?
9 REPLIES 9

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
I bought mine at General RV in Tampa, (thank you Chris Spurlin). I have my RV work done at General RV in Ashland Va, (very happy) I have my truck/motor work done by my local truck mechanic. Works for me!
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years with various gas motorhomes we've had an engine, a transmission, and a complete rear end replaced, as well as several other more minor drive line repairs. In almost every case, we've had the work done at an independent truck shop, usually one recommended by our emergency roadside service provider, and have always felt we were treated fairly. We do have a Ford dealer near our upstate NY get away cottage that does a lot of RV work, and even has a large building specially built for RV body work and painting. We've only used them once for some A/C work and a brake switch recall though. Most of the other lesser issues with the drive line, electrical, appliances, etc., I handle myself, but I wouldn't hesitate to call a mobile RV tech if I was stumped by something.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
CW is certainly backed up in this area. First, they have to complete the build on the low end coaches they sell because Elkhart et. al. is turning out record numbers of unfinished units. Secondly they are doing warranty work on the coaches they sold because Elkhart et. al. are turning out record numbers of broken units. Then comes the normal Mx on units they sold, and after that is Mx on units they didn't sell. I work at an independent shop (I work in the store not the shop) and we are doing warranty work for the local CW because they are scheduled out until September. People buy a unit and expect that next week they'll be headed for Yelllowstone. They are SHOCKED that the entire summer will go by before they can get a non-functioning water heater fixed.

If you want to pay for for the repairs, any shop will do. If you want the warranty to cover it, you have to make sure the dealer or the factory will reimburse you for warranty work done by someone other than an authorized dealer. And no, the independent shop will not fight that battle. That's all on you. You pay the bill then go fight with Warren Buffet for the money.

The mobile techs in the area are flat out.

This is why I get a chuckle here when someone recommends buying a new unit "so you don't have to deal with other peoples' problems".
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also consider calling mobile mechanics. You'd be surprised how much they know and would be willing to look at your RV. RV's are not rocket science, they are generally just full service house & truck.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, service from Camping World as you describe in your post would not be a good enough reason to buy from Camping World. We have had service done at a Camping World and didn't find it worth the time and effort to wait for it to be scheduled. We like to use a local mechanic or a mobile mechanic when we are in a unfamiliar area.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Jacksonville Fl to Dothan Alabama we only found the one at Dothan that would even look at it and did fix it. All the rest between stated Sorry we do not work on RVs.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in Alaska, the DP stays stateside wherever we happen to be when we want to fly home for a while.

Yes, there's usually a CW someplace within a couple of hundred miles, but they're always so backed up with work you can't get anything done.

Oil and lube is almost always done at a Speedco and usually there's a Blue Beacon next door for a wash.

For chassis or engine work, it's a Freigtliner shop.

For little work, it's usually a mobile RV tech at an RV park.

If the non-chassis work can wait, we keep a list for when we get back to Vancouver, WA for a very good little RV shop that we make an appointment with, give them a list ahead of time, and they get us in and out within 2 - 3 days.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
In regards to Ford, good luck with that. I have almost a dozen Ford dealers within 40 miles and not one Iโ€™ve called will perform regular maintenance. Iโ€™ve only found one that agreed to change the oil and check belts, fluids, etc, but NO mechanical maintenance. You may need to find a truck service center to do serious work on it. Ask the service manager of the CW you are thinking of buying from where you can get full Ford service and maintenance done.

I bought from CW and the buying process was excellent, mainly I think, cause I did my homework, had exactly what I wanted to order in a spreadsheet with prices, and what I was willing to pay. CW was primarily an order taker and no โ€œsalesโ€ was required. As far as service after the sale not such a good report. They did tell me that any CW will perform needed work. The not bought here no service here does happen, rare especially if you are on the road and wasnโ€™t in a position to buy them in the first place.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Most manufacturers have a dealer network nationwide for servicing an RV under warranty. Some offer to cover repairs at most RV or Vehicle service centers as long as the repairs are pre-approved.

You'll see many complaints about Camping World's service on RV forums like this one. Just keep in mind the national statistic is you will tell 10 people if you don't like the service and only tell a few if you do like the service. So there are a lot more people out there who are satisfied with the service they received at Camping World then the number of folks who complain about the service on forums like these.