cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to Class C

grygielk13
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! My family and are new to the Class C and RV world. We just purchased a 2011 Coachman Freelander and are ready to make some memories.

I am looking for any tips/tricks that you have all learned through your adventures! Possibly some links or apps that you may use for dump stations, campgrounds, really anything!

Our daughter travels for softball so we will be using the RV for the remainder of her season, so a lot of use of the generator. Any tips or trick for that would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Kelly!
7 REPLIES 7

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Take the family to a local campground for one or two nights. Bring a notebook along and write down what you find yourself lacking and questions you have for this forum. Also talk to fellow campers.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Use a GPS to plan ahead for merges and off ramps. Lane changing can be dangerous, hard to see small cars and motorcycles on your right side, turn on turn signal early but don't depend on other guy to let you change lanes, better to skip a lane change than risk an accident. Don't let following drivers push you into taking turns too fast in mountainous areas. Pull over when safe and let parade pass. Take frequent breaks at rest stops, enjoy the drive. Make sure you have safe tires by date codes. Have good emergency road service. Carry a good tool kit, don't forget prescription meds etc., not available on the road,

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
First try and find a brand specific website for the coach brand. There should be some and ask your question there. I just found one for the winnebago aspect/cambria and it has some folks participating but not many but it is an unusual model I guess.

Once you find the website or get someone to respond do a PM and ask specific questions. You know, how to do.............. You will get better responses.

Just a thought, PM me if you like I will try to help.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Class C's tend to have water issues in the cab-over area. Good idea when storing the rig to elevate the nose a bit so that water sheds towards the rear.
Kevin

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
make sure you understand how much weight your rv is designed to carry and brake safely. Just because it fits, doesn't mean it should be in the coach. The three most common causes of blowouts are 1 - RV is overloaded, 2 RV Tires are under inflated, and 3 tires still look good but are too old.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 08 Freedom Express which is about the same rig. Depending on where you are going travel with about 10-20 gallons of water in the tank so your bathroom is on line. Let the fridge cool down for a while before you hit the road. Stay up on tire pressure.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Several things came to mind:
You can run the generator and roof air while you drive if you need extra cooling and power for video games
My choice for finding RV spots is www.rvparkreviews.com and once you find a park then go to the park website to get the full details and make reservations
Buy a Boy Scout Handbook (the older the better) it has great tips on things to do in the wilderness and sections on plant, animal, bird identification and more...
Take the RV out to a big empty parking lot and practice driving, parking and emergency maneuvers with it so you become very comfortable knowing what it will do if you have to make a quick lane change or a panic stop.

Good luck with your adventures