Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Long term boon docking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Long term boon docking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
20acreheaven

The great PNW

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is my first post, go easy....

The wife and I decided to ditch the rental and get a TT to live on our property while going through the building process. We currently have no utilities and expect to be a year to 18 months without any hookups. I'm opening myself up to a broad array of topics here, but looking for any advice I can get. A few things specifically:

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
1. As much as I wanted a metal shelter, it just isn't feasible for a temporary location, so we're planning to leave it out in the open with a metal carport serving as a patio. Are there extra maintenance steps I should take since the popout will be extended the entire time?

2. Pest control - found a product called Mouse Free online and being in a wooded area I'm seriously considering applying it. Figure I'll thoroughly inspect the underside and plug any holes with steel wool and try to illuminate the outside somehow. Anyone ever have a problem with yellowjackets though?

3. Thinking of pulling the toilet and placing a composting toilet in the bathroom. If anyone's ever done that I'd love to hear how it went. I really don't want to drag it into town every few weeks to dump the black tank and if I used a portable tank I'd have to get it up in the truck to use the nearest neighbor's septic.

4. For power I'm planning on a Champion dual fuel 3800 W generator and a small solar kit for the batteries (TT has a furrion outlet pre-wired) Noise isn't an issue and I figure the tv is the only thing I need to worry about "dirty" power with, hoping a UPS will prevent any damage the few times we watch tv.

Any tips and advice or things I haven't thought of are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Living the dream on my 20 acres of heaven!

boogie_4wheel

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd spend the money and install a septic tank to hook to. Figure out where your house will be and get a tank in the ground. Then you just need to deal with fresh water/propane/gas.

Skirt the trailer with insulating material. When I lived in mine for two years (full hook ups), I skirted with thin OSB backed with 1" styrofoam sheets. Take it a couple inches into the ground and to the edges of the trailer to help eliminate rodents and bugs. Make a small access flap or door for draining your holding tanks.

Have a lot of gas on hand for that generator for temperature extremes (hot or cold).

2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

20acreheaven wrote:

I really don't want to drag it into town every few weeks to dump the black tank and if I used a portable tank I'd have to get it up in the truck to use the nearest neighbor's septic.
A macerator works well for pumping bw into the tank on the truck bed. Then all you need is a sewer hose long enough to reach the dump hole.

You say this is on your property? Do your septic first and use that. Otherwise, dig a big hole.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the Forum..
I don't know the specifics of your particular situation, but since you are building a home on this property....why not get the infrastructure in first (water, power, septic) and then hook into that while you build...

Doing this will eliminate the need for a generator, for hauling water in and hauling out sewer.....and will certainly make the construction of your new home easier...

Anyway, good luck with your new adventure.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Up here you can’t build a house or cottage till the septic system is built and passed inspection.

20acreheaven

The great PNW

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

boogie_4wheel wrote:

I'd spend the money and install a septic tank to hook to. Figure out where your house will be and get a tank in the ground. Then you just need to deal with fresh water/propane/gas.

Skirt the trailer with insulating material. When I lived in mine for two years (full hook ups), I skirted with thin OSB backed with 1" styrofoam sheets. Take it a couple inches into the ground and to the edges of the trailer to help eliminate rodents and bugs. Make a small access flap or door for draining your holding tanks.

Have a lot of gas on hand for that generator for temperature extremes (hot or cold).

I wish I could, but first we have to improve the driveway (running conduit for power at that time) then dig the well to prove we have adequate water before we can get a septic permit. In the meantime the cash savings pencil out significantly. I like the skirting idea, gonna use that!

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well if it were me I don't think I would give up the place I am living in now before I get into living in a TT without a few things like sewer or electricity or water. get those three things in then think about moving into a TT long term

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you say what your water source is?

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It kinda seems like your concentrating on some of the wrong things (patio, pest control).

You need:

Electricity. This is the one thing that can make an RV habitable long term. Also, in order to build anything, you need a temporary electrical post.

Water. You will need a constant source of water whether you haul it or what ever.

Sanitation. You need a way to get rid of your sewage. You may be able to get a "Porta-potty" type service to come by at regular times to empty your tank. Or, you can use a tote if there's someplace near by to dump it.
Doubt you would like a composting toilet..

Don't even try to live in your RV without some way of covering these needs.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t worry about a septic system, especially if you’re not even started building, but a buried holding tank and a ‘honey wagon’ to pump it out every couple months is pretty cheap.

I’ve never seen a place where they wouldn’t stick a pole in the ground and give you a temporary service panel. The construction folks will need electricity too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Long term boon docking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS