Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Long term boon docking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Long term boon docking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

Up here you can’t build a house or cottage till the septic system is built and passed inspection.

Strange, in this part of the province you’re not allowed to build a septic system until they see what size house you’ve already built. They want to be sure it’s of adequate size.

You do have dig a test pit and do a percolation test before you get a building permit, just to prove the property will support a septic system.

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being a builder all my life a temporary power pole is the first thing I have set. Next would be a well and septic, maybe not in the first week but in the beginning for sure, the land is unobstructed. You are going to need all these things eventually so why wait?

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Fizz wrote:

Up here you can’t build a house or cottage till the septic system is built and passed inspection.

Strange, in this part of the province you’re not allowed to build a septic system until they see what size house you’ve already built. They want to be sure it’s of adequate size.

You do have dig a test pit and do a percolation test before you get a building permit, just to prove the property will support a septic system.

Thats why you fill out the application with the number of bedrooms and a picture of the house placement on the lot. Doesn't matter how big the house is, it matters how many people are using it, hence number of bedrooms not bathrooms or sq ft. Not much good if you build the house on the only part of the lot that purks.

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also used a TT while I built my house, but I had my well, septic, and temporary power set up so I was fully covered.
If you are going to be building the house in the same location youre putting the trailer, why not get the utilities done now for convenience?

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all depends on how much inconvenience you are willing to deal with.

In your shoes I would get a LARGE propane tank (I think there are 100 gallons available) to run generator and cooking and heat.

You could get a pump out service and haul in water.

But you must have enough driveway available to get the trailer, propane, water, and pump out service in.

Looks like the first order of business is to get a perc test, and decide on a house location. That will have to be done before you site the driveway. Get the driveway in next. After that, you should be able to get a temporary meter pretty quickly. That will reduce your generator/propane needs.

Find a shady spot. That will help.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

20acreheaven

The great PNW

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

It all depends on how much inconvenience you are willing to deal with.

In your shoes I would get a LARGE propane tank (I think there are 100 gallons available) to run generator and cooking and heat.

You could get a pump out service and haul in water.

But you must have enough driveway available to get the trailer, propane, water, and pump out service in.

Looks like the first order of business is to get a perc test, and decide on a house location. That will have to be done before you site the driveway. Get the driveway in next. After that, you should be able to get a temporary meter pretty quickly. That will reduce your generator/propane needs.

Find a shady spot. That will help.

Can we handle the inconvenience? I think so, but we'll find out for sure pretty soon, ha ha. We aren't expecting any creature comforts, that's for sure.

Definitely getting at least one 100 lb tank, probably 2 with about a half dozen of the little 20 pounders. 6 5gal jugs for drinking water and a 60 gal bladder to fill the house water. Showers at the gym and paper plates will cut down on usage. The access is an old logging road. Wife drives her Ford Focus down it so I don't see why a trailer wouldn't make it. That dead ends though, and our driveway will punch through the remainder out to the main road. Perc test is done, but we must drill and prove water before getting a septic permit. Power will be run same time as the driveway, but I doubt they will get to it before the rainy season the way excavators are booked out. Sewage? Gonna plug my nose and go with the composting toilet. My buddy swears there's no odor. Worst case we get a tote and deal with it that way. Wife's friend lives a couple miles away, and her property was originally gonna be an ADA campground, so she has an RV dump in place we can use.

We love being out there so much, even in the winter. We're tired of driving an hour every weekend and not wanting to leave. Not to mention the trailer payment is a tiny fraction of our rent and we get to write off the interest. So, other than having a nice new TT, we'll be roughing it, and that's ok..... I think. Or maybe we'll be regulars at the Motel 6 [emoticon]

Living the dream on my 20 acres of heaven!

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would try to get that well done, and then ask the local govt if you can set a septic tank, even without a drainfield. You could use it as a holding tank between honey dipper visits if the ground freeze wont cause too many problems.
If all else fails, get a macerator and fill tanks on a truck or trailer and dump at that friends station.
Dont know how large a trailer you are looking at, but some modest sized ones do have decent tank sizes, some 29' Rockwood and Flagstaff models for example have 45 gal black and 90 gallon grey, At least they would buy you a little time between shuttle runs.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can go a fair amount of time on a larger black tank. Couple mile haul every few weeks to dump black sounds easy.
Or if it were me, on 20 ac in the middle of the woods, I’d make a small buried “septic “ out behind the camper to dump the black tank. Who cares? That’s what outhouses and septic systems doo. Some city slickers on here that don’t understand that food isn’t born in a grocery store and poo goes back in the ground will freak out though.
Gray can get dispersed into the woods.
Hauling water in is a pain, I’d think about that and have a decent tank in your pickup that you can bring in larger quantities. No reason tap water or well water from up the road can’t be drinking water.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

doxiemom11

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know where you are, but winters can get might cold in an rv. Have plenty of $ for propane ( have a big tank brought out or you'll be running every couple of days to refill) Research ways to keep an rv warm if you will be in an area where it gets below freezing.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 11:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're on the wet side of the mountains which it sounds like, go live in a RV. Sounds like fun actually! Especially with a new camper.
Heck it don't even get cold enough to freeze pipes but maybe a couple times a year.
Let's see some pics when you getter setup!

Figure out how to haul water easily, couple propane bottles, power drop would be nice though.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Long term boon docking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS