Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Crack Down on 50 Amp Rigs Using 30 Amp Sites
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Crack Down on 50 Amp Rigs Using 30 Amp Sites

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Next
RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know how long this has been going on but I learned today that some RV parks including the Washington/Pittsbugh KOA I had booked has a policy that if your rig has 50 amp service, you can't use a 30 amp site. I wanted a 2 night stay later this month and all they had left was 30 amp sites. I booked one thinking no big deal. I'll just use my 50a to 30a reducing dogbone. I really don't have a need for 50 amps anyway in my rig. Turns out it's not allowed. In fairness, I didn't read the policy which is clearly stated on their website and they did offer to make an exception for us but with the caveat that if they felt we were using too much power, they would kick us out. Because we wouldn't have any idea what their idea of "Too much power" is, we cancelled. Is this becoming a thing now? Did I buy a 50a to 30a reducing dogbone for no reason?

KO

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never heard of this.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

never heard of it.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never heard of it either, but I can believe there's a few park owners out there that think a 50 amp RV is somehow able to draw more than 30 amps from their 30 amp receptacles. I'd love to hear them tell how that's done though...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Each CG sets their OWN policy/rules/restrictions as they should be able to do.
Their monies invested...their risk on returns

And we as RVs can choose cause we have wheels. Yes/No to the rules.

Now if you are a 50A rig and want to use a 30A power receptacle the 'idea you would use too much power' is ridiculous
30A is only 3600W TOTAL
50A is 12,000W TOTAL

[emoticon]

We ran into that 'rule' in Washington State at a CG.
No adapters allowed
SO if you were 50A you had to use 50A and pay higher price
If 30A you had to use the 30A
Oh well it was their CG/business/rule so we stayed one night....cancelling the rest of our planned stay and went down the road to another CG

Such is life.......full of rules and one can choose.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well if you are using more than 30 amps you will blow a 30 amp breaker. Makes no sense to me in terms of wiring.

Either they have no faith in their wiring/circuit breakers (quite possible) or they really don't understand how electrical consumption works (which is also quite possible.) Maybe they think that a 50 amp service means you are ALWAYS using 50 amps.

And the most likely explanation--- they charge more for 50 amp sites. They just want to force people into those sites.

As best I can tell, you only need 50 amps for running 2 AC units at the same time. 30 amps will run 1 AC and pretty much everything else, IME.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never did either but its true.
[image]
Seems to me that if they have no 50amp sites available, they turn away customers because they can't use the 30amp sites but Old Biscuit is correct. Their campground, their rules. Our Rigs, we decide where we stay or don't

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With all the low voltage issues reported I can completely understand the requirement.

However it seems odd that the reservation sequence did not start by asking if you have a 30 or 50 amp RV and restate the warning.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

With all the low voltage issues reported I can completely understand the requirement.

However it seems odd that the reservation sequence did not start by asking if you have a 30 or 50 amp RV and restate the warning.

That was my fault for not seeing the warning on the site. I only caught it after making the reservation and seeing it in the confirmation email. That's all on me for completing the booking without thoroughly reading everything. I'm not complaining about the policy whatsoever. I just didn't know if this is becoming the norm and if I wasted my money on the dogbone reducer.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

In fairness, I didn't read the policy which is clearly stated on their website and they did offer to make an exception for us but with the caveat that if they felt we were using too much power, they would kick us out. Because we wouldn't have any idea what their idea of "Too much power" is, we cancelled.

Rob - JMO but I think you let this get the best of you and instead should have not cancelled, particularly since they did offer you an exception. Although not specifically stated I would think "too much power" would mean anything more than 30 amps. Realistically the most I would ever pull with my rig is 20 amps and that's only if I'm running A/C, otherwise I pull WAY under that most of the time. IMO there's no reason anyone can't get along for a night or two with just 30 amp service.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Crack Down on 50 Amp Rigs Using 30 Amp Sites
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS