Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Crack Down on 50 Amp Rigs Using 30 Amp Sites
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Crack Down on 50 Amp Rigs Using 30 Amp Sites

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next
jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Since there is pie on my face, let me rephrase.

When were 50 amp power systems first used in RV's?

Not sure of the exact date but I would say I started noticing them early 1990's.
I couldn't resist!

1990s would be a good guess. In 2004 with my first 50A rig a lot of parks did not have 50A and that has changed since then.

I inspected a Travel Supreme class A last year. All electric, hydro hot heat and hot water, no propane, 8 GC2 batteries, 2 - 2000 watt inverters and a 12.5 kw generator. That's 100 amps folks.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Anybody know when 50 amp was introduced?

At the beginning of this thread!

Now THAT'S funny!!!

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself! I’m in Cape May right now and have no cares in the world till I get home!

FWIW, the KOA in Bellefonte/State College PA had no 50A sites that I could see. There were 3 DP’s with the 30-50 adapter at the pull through sites where I was.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

I know it costs a lot--but individual power meters may be a way to help level the playing field at a campground.

I know of one that only surcharges $2 Cdn for 50 amp over 30 amp. Obviously they do not understand the difference in their potential costs.

15amps at 120v = 1800watts. Assuming a worst case 24hr run time at 15c/kwh that's $6.50. Most of the time a 30amp rig won't use anything close to that because the air/con cycles on and off.

Then you have the issue that someone has to go out and read the meter. This works for seasonal sites but for short term use, it's a huge hassle for little benefit. Much better to just tack on $5 for a 50amp site and you will come out way ahead as the owner.

Yep! Park owner/managers have better things to do everyday than read meters! Everything is subject to the laws of diminishing returns.

Chum lee

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Chum lee,

I'm sure the technology is available to do remote reading. There are many parks that already do charge for power use.

In my case, power at the campground is nearly 20 cents per kwh. In mid winter I average 120 kwh per day. That's $24 out of the bottom line for the campground. Per week $168 for power. They charge $310 rent per week.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ryoung

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I'm surprised the policy wasn't the other way around: "If your rig is a 30 amp rig, you can't use a 50 amp site

If you're thinking that your 30 amp rated rv is running more efficient when connected to a 50 amp pedestal, think again.

If you chose to pay extra for the 50 amp pedestal for your 30 amp rv, you're wasting your money.

ryoung

2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

is 30a more efficient on 50a ..NO
but the 50a is very likely in better condition less beat up
and has larger gauge wire from the breaker to the outlet

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi Chum lee,

I'm sure the technology is available to do remote reading. There are many parks that already do charge for power use.

In my case, power at the campground is nearly 20 cents per kwh. In mid winter I average 120 kwh per day. That's $24 out of the bottom line for the campground. Per week $168 for power. They charge $310 rent per week.

WOW! 120KWH/day? That is a LOT of juice in a MH! For electrical resistance heating I assume. With those loads, where I summer in Albuquerque, it would be cheaper for me to go with a weekly rate ($175), electricity included, rather than a monthly rate ($350) plus electricity at $.15kw/hr.

When I was younger and lived in an apartment in Orange County CA, if you used that much power, the utility company would notify the sheriffs office and they would come by for a for a knock knock meet and greet. They wanted to see if you were running an indoor marijuana grow room.

I know about the newer remote sensing electric meters. My last business venture had one. The meter box was owned by the power company. In most RV parks the individual camp site meters, if present, are usually sub meters that are owned by the RV park. So, chances are if the electrical system needs updating, you can be pretty sure that the meters are the old style analog meters. Not always though.

Chum lee

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ryoung wrote:

Quote:

I'm surprised the policy wasn't the other way around: "If your rig is a 30 amp rig, you can't use a 50 amp site

If you're thinking that your 30 amp rated rv is running more efficient when connected to a 50 amp pedestal, think again.

If you chose to pay extra for the 50 amp pedestal for your 30 amp rv, you're wasting your money.

ryoung

I’ll Pay a bit more for a better connection on the 50A site. And I’ve never had a low voltage issue while connected to 50 amps. Can’t say that for every 30A site I’ve ever had!

gitane59

Ontario, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a ton of assumptions made by rvers and rv park owners that make this issue nothing but a finger pointing mess. We were at a full park on the Canada weekend Friday afternoon and the loop we were on kept blowing it's sub-panel breaker. We were using a 50to30amp dogbone and had the largest rv unit in the loop. As we don't like air-conditioning we only had a floor fan, residential fridge and microwave on standby using AC power while all the smaller unit's all had air conditioners running away using AC.
Guess who the manager came and talked to? Yes us? I very politely told her to go harass some other rver. She eventually accommodated us by moving us to a unused seasonal site in an adjacent loop on a different sub-panel breaker.
It should not come to anyones surprise that even after I moved the breaker on the first loop she had me on continued to trip even after I moved.
I strenuously object to the idea that just because my unit has a 50amp connection I am a power hog and should not be on 30amp pedestal's.

2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

Normy

Central Mass

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nobody seems to mind that all the campgrounds that do not allow a 50A onto a 30A seem to sell the 50A to 30A dogbone in their camp store!!!!!!!

Just say'n!

Just kidd'n. LOL

Normy

Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 22  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Crack Down on 50 Amp Rigs Using 30 Amp Sites
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS