Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Crack Down on 50 Amp Rigs Using 30 Amp Sites
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Crack Down on 50 Amp Rigs Using 30 Amp Sites

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
2oldman

Burley ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think they know what they're talking about.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are they charging more for 50 amp sites? If so, then the reason is obvious.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

I don't know how long this has been going on but I learned today that some RV parks including the Washington/Pittsbugh KOA I had booked has a policy that if your rig has 50 amp service, you can't use a 30 amp site. I wanted a 2 night stay later this month and all they had left was 30 amp sites. I booked one thinking no big deal. I'll just use my 50a to 30a reducing dogbone. I really don't have a need for 50 amps anyway in my rig. Turns out it's not allowed. In fairness, I didn't read the policy which is clearly stated on their website and they did offer to make an exception for us but with the caveat that if they felt we were using too much power, they would kick us out. Because we wouldn't have any idea what their idea of "Too much power" is, we cancelled. Is this becoming a thing now? Did I buy a 50a to 30a reducing dogbone for no reason?

you can't use any power beyond the limits of the circuit...in this case 30-amps. if I were to try and run both ACs, the microwave and more the post circuit breaker would trip.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

I don't think they know what they're talking about.

Doesn't matter, a privately owned campground which this is can have whatever policies they want, without justification. I'd suspect this has more to do with too many past experiences where an owner with a 50 amp rig has dogboned into 30 amp service and ignored the need to restrict his max draw to 30 amps, thereby pulling his breaker, perhaps breakers on a main distribution box serving other sites as well. I can see how after awhile this would become a real PITA issue for the park, having to send out a staff person every time this happens to sort out the issue and reset the breaker(s) - ALL because too many numb nuts insist on turning on everything they own in their 50 amp rig. [emoticon]

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

you can't use any power beyond the limits of the circuit...in this case 30-amps. if I were to try and run both ACs, the microwave and more the post circuit breaker would trip.

Actually you can, for a time ... breakers are timed delayed according to temperature so a 30 amp breaker will in fact pass far more than just 30 amps for a time and will not instantly trip at that threshold. Repeat this scenario enough times and eventually the breaker will need to be replaced - yet another cost for the campground just because dummies insist on abusing the system. Restricting 50 amps rigs with dogbones from 30 amp sites solves this problem.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well there IS a difference....or else they all would just have 30 amp service.

You can get into trouble when just pulling up near the breaker limit without exceeding it.

I got into trouble using my 50 amp service as intended.
Apparently one A/C, the converter and the electric water heater are all on one leg.

With all 3 of those running, one 30 amp breaker on the gen won't hold. On shore power, no problem. WRONG. A connection at the "transfer switch" over heated and the switch control board blew. Since the 50 amp breakers are ganged together, that meant no power at all.

I now have a receptacle for the gen and do the transfer manually. Seems to work fine that way. I think I will not be using the electric element on the water heater much or at all......just incase.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

time2roll wrote:

With all the low voltage issues reported I can completely understand the requirement.

However it seems odd that the reservation sequence did not start by asking if you have a 30 or 50 amp RV and restate the warning.

That was my fault for not seeing the warning on the site. I only caught it after making the reservation and seeing it in the confirmation email. That's all on me for completing the booking without thoroughly reading everything. I'm not complaining about the policy whatsoever. I just didn't know if this is becoming the norm and if I wasted my money on the dogbone reducer.
I get that. Just saying when you put in your personal information the website should ask if the RV is 50 or 30 amp before you click and pay. They often ask for length, slides, RV class, toad, etc. why not the power.

No. I have never experienced this or read a similar post. But then mine is 30 amp so no issue comes up.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do I get a discount if I do not plug in? Done that plenty of times.

2oldman

Burley ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

if they felt we were using too much power, they would kick us out. Because we wouldn't have any idea what their idea of "Too much power" is, we cancelled.
I would also question what 'too much power' is. It's a 30a service. I guess they figure it's 30a maximum and only for a short period of time. Be interesting to question them as to what their experience is with 'too much power.' It's hard for me to imagine RVers who are so brain-dead as to use the adapter then try to run 'everything' (which isn't possible anyway) then blow a breaker and then call the office instead of checking a breaker.

RobWNY wrote:

I just didn't know if this is becoming the norm and if I wasted my money on the dogbone reducer.
It isn't. You didn't.. you'll need it someday. I'm sure your budget can handle it.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

I just didn't know if this is becoming the norm and if I wasted my money on the dogbone reducer.

No, you didn't waste your money. You bought an accessory for the RV. Maybe you can't use it at every CG. But, at some point you will need the dogbone and will be happy you have it collecting dust in the basement or storage bin..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Crack Down on 50 Amp Rigs Using 30 Amp Sites
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS