cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

National Interstate no longer insuring our RV

Sewsyq
Explorer
Explorer
We received a notice that national interstate was no longer going to be covering our RV. They referred us to explore RV which sent us to some other company. We received the packet with the coverage but there was no clear definition as to if it was full-time insurance. My husband called and the bottom line is, no it isn’t. So now we’re in the market for a new full-time insurance and hoping that maybe someone out there can point us in the right direction. We are currently full time stationary in Florida.
SewsyQ
20 REPLIES 20

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We have been with National General for 12 years with full-time coverage just
like a regular homeowners policy. Had one claim on our first year out--ice
storm in SC.MH was repaired in Spartanburg.

Sewsyq
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks, just an update. Used RV-Dreams link to request full timer insurance quotes. Ended up using American Adventure Insurance for our agent and Progressive for our Insurer. We are praying aging less than we did with National Interstate and the coverage is comparable. We’ll definitely keep our eyes on the cost when next year rolls around for renewal. Thanks again for your input and Happy Trails!
SewsyQ

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive for the second time..raised our rates by 40% several years ago. Agent got us with National General for same rate as Progressive for prior year. After five years National General went up about 30%, agent put us back with Progressive for the rate charged by National General the prior year. Keep an eye on the rates and keep a good agent. No accidents only claims have been windshields with both with $500 deductible. Now we have full coverage on glass, no deductible, still $500 deductible on other damages.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

2PawsRiver
Explorer
Explorer
Do the Insurance Companies have a definition for fulltime. If you have a stick and mortar address and stay there from time to time, very seldom, are you a full timer?

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
I changed over to Auto Club, and included my homeowners policy and all my vehicle policies together. Saved about $400, also.
So are you saying that Auto Club is that dumb? You have a homeowners policy with them (certified by you to Auto Club that the S&B home is a primary residence) and a FTer RV policy with them (certifying htat your RV is your home). How does that work?
www.putt10.net

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
You're welcome. Do come back and let us know how you make out with Miller and how the new price compares to your old policy. Inquiring minds want to know!

Sewsyq
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link Optimistic. I had forgotten about RV-Dreams. I requested a quote from Miller’s online and am waiting to hear from them. Thanks to everyone for your input. That’s why I love this forum!
SewsyQ

KPetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Both National General and Progressive offer full-timer coverage and can be quoted and written through Good Sam Insurance Agency.

Keith

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I use Twin Peaks out of Ft. Lauderdale (since 1999.) Lost my full-timer insurance with National Interstate, too. I think NI recommended Safeco to me for my needs. I called Twin Peaks and it was not a f/t policy. They researched and found Progressive met all my needs... including full-timing.
FL is my home state.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a number of good reports about the Miller Insurance Agency. They are an independent agent that deals with a lot of different insurance companies and they understand RVs and the RV lifestyle.

http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/

BTW, the best article I've seen on RV insurance and what you need is here:

http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-insurance-coverages.html

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
But the auto club is not providing you with a full-timers policy. Therein is the difference. Full-timers do not have a homeowners policy, therefore we need the coverages that a homeowners or renters usually provides, but as part of our rv policy. They will not have the coverages they need if they are full-time without purchasing a full-timers policy by a company that offers that coverage and protection.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I changed over to Auto Club, and included my homeowners policy and all my vehicle policies together. Saved about $400, also.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have our full-timers policy with Progressive.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
We got dropped a year ago. At that time our agent would not write Safeco because they never posted stable rates. We went to National General.

Going to find out how good they are here shortly as I have filed my first claim in over 200,000 of rv driving.