Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Spare tire
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Spare tire

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
clotus

ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys I have a 2017 Winnebago 31K. I have been customizing to my liking and I am now at the spare tire, or lack thereof.

There is plenty of rear overhang space in the back between the frame rails. I will most likely being building my own and looking for some ideas from people who have done it before.

I am leaning towards a simple cage type that I can simply slide the tire into or mounting a spare tire hoist. Should be able to make it fairly easily with my limited welding skills.

BAL makes a retract-a-spare, but unfortunately my frame rails are too narrow.

Thoughts/Ideas?

NOTE: I have already weighted the rig and have plenty of rear axle and gvrw for the spare tire.

5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245
Truck: 08 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 diesel
-Airbags, hellwig sway bar, rancho 9000xl, Nitto 285/70R17's, Prodigy P2 brake controller, and B&W Patriot 16k hitch.

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why didn't Winnebago mount your spare up there between the frame rails in the rear?

(Our Winnebago Itasca 24V Class C came stock with the spare tire mounted up high in the back between the frame rails just like in a pickup truck.)

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

Mich F

Plantation, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Why didn't Winnebago mount your spare up there between the frame rails in the rear?

(Our Winnebago Itasca 24V Class C came stock with the spare tire mounted up high in the back between the frame rails just like in a pickup truck.)

His, like my 2014 31K, probably didn't come with a spare tire. I bought a tire and rim and threw it in the huge rear storage compartment.

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a member, Baja Man, he did a really nice job on it, his post has a lot of pictures, you can
See It Here

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

whemme

Spencer, IA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't hardly believe that a 31' long coach on an E450 chassis really would have any spare rear axle weight rating left - I would actually expect an over loaded rear axle. With the rear overhang multiplication effect, the 90 lb weight of the spare and rim will add approximately 135 additional lbs to you rear axle.

2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

Mich F

Plantation, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whemme wrote:

I can't hardly believe that a 31' long coach on an E450 chassis really would have any spare rear axle weight rating left - I would actually expect an over loaded rear axle. With the rear overhang multiplication effect, the 90 lb weight of the spare and rim will add approximately 135 additional lbs to you rear axle.

My 32 1/2' Class C on an E 450 came with an OCCC of 3,275#. I weighed it about 5 months after buying it, all loaded for camping and the rear axle was at 7,820#. I went over the scales about a week ago and it was 8,640# ( 5 years older and put on weight), but still well under the 9,600# rear axle rating.

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 12:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been under for two years but are loaded with clothes and toys (for kids of all ages) this time around, and are running 500-750 over weight on the rear with half a tank of fresh water. The basement and all the compartments are jammed. I'm not happy we're so heavy but the RV, suspension, and tires are all doing fine through the hills. I'm trying to shed some weight before we hit the mountains.

Da Moose - 2001 Dutchman 31' on E450

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read posts all the time regarding large Class C rigs over-loading or nearly over-loading the Ford E450 chassis they're built on.

It's too bad Ford didn't continue offering their short-lived E550 van chassis. [emoticon] and [emoticon]

Regarding a full size mounted spare in an RV .... I wouldn't buy a motorhome that didn't include a full spare neatly stored and fairly easy to get at.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

It's too bad Ford didn't continue offering their short-lived E550 van chassis.

One BIG thing E550 offered was a straight I-Beam Front Axle! Higher capacity, of course. Easier to get a decent alignment, no doubt. Less commonly known, MUCH SMALLER turning circle. Any would be nice, and E550 offered all three. And with a higher capacity rear axle with far bigger gears. On 19.5" wheels.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j-d wrote:

One BIG thing E550 offered was a straight I-Beam Front Axle! Higher capacity, of course. Easier to get a decent alignment, no doubt. Less commonly known, MUCH SMALLER turning circle. Any would be nice, and E550 offered all three. And with a higher capacity rear axle with far bigger gears. On 19.5" wheels.

Yep ... big old leaf springs up there in front!

What a great 22-26 foot 4X4 class C chassis that E550 would have made, too ... bullet proof.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Spare tire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS