cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Added a battery tray

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
On our new ORV, I wanted to place two GRP 27 batteries on the tongue, but they'd only fit in the designated spot if they were not in battery boxes, so I spent some time over the weekend making a removable bracket that would allow both boxes to fit.
The bracket is made entirely from an old bed frame, which I cut up and welded together. I welded a couple bolts to the bottom and created a clamp that secures it to the existing channel.
The thing turned out even better than anticipated.

by

by
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH
8 REPLIES 8

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks All. It was a fun project.

RoyB wrote:

I am currently planning on installing a TORKLIFT battery box that is 59-inch wide using those same welded on angles and this will stick out across the tongue area over a foot or so on each side... This box will align up with the second upright wall section on the front deck on both sides in the above photo. If this doesn't look good to me for support of the box I will have to put different angles in place on top of the tongue area.

I believe it will be OK for me however... The TORKLIFT box fits perfect inside the two welded on angle sections...

You will be facing the same problem if you ever want to increase to more batteries in the future...

Roy Ken

This should get us through the next 5-6 years I hope (expected lifespan of the batteries).
We currently don't do a ton of boon docking, but do like to get out for up to 5-6 days at a time, so with the generator and possibly a solar panel in the future, this should do. In the future I'd like to swap out to 6v GC batts or true deep cycle batteries, so will tackle that when the time comes. I could probably do like you and make a reinforced bracket that sits on top of the frame rails to house a large pre-fabed battery box. When that time comes though I'm also planning on ditching the stock WFCO converter/charger for a better model as well to help protect/maintain my investment.

PS. I had a similar setup on our last trailer with two equally speced batteries. There must be more parasitic draw from the electronics in this trailer (which doesn't surprise me!) because overnight it pulls the batteries voltage down well below what our old one did (I knew our old one inside and out). I have not spent time yet measuring out and diagnosing what/where the loads on this one ares though. TBD!
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
Equalizer 4-point WDH

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Really nice work!,
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice Work... Thanks for the tip of using discarded bed frames. I have one of those leaning up against a wall here...

My tongue area already has two angle sections welded across the tongue area and I have had three GP24 battery boxes using those angles. They stuck out just an inch or so on either side.

Roy's image

I am currently planning on installing a TORKLIFT battery box that is 59-inch wide using those same welded on angles and this will stick out across the tongue area over a foot or so on each side... This box will align up with the second upright wall section on the front deck on both sides in the above photo. If this doesn't look good to me for support of the box I will have to put different angles in place on top of the tongue area.

Google Image

I believe it will be OK for me however... The TORKLIFT box fits perfect inside the two welded on angle sections...

You will be facing the same problem if you ever want to increase to more batteries in the future...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
:C :C :C
Very nice work!

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Two G29's wouldn't fit on our trailer either. I made a longer tray and mounted it over the frame rails above the stock tray.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

MrWizard
Nice work
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
No pic. You'll need to use a hosting site.

I'm working on it...

....and finished.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
Equalizer 4-point WDH

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No pic. You'll need to use a hosting site.
(and we wanna see your project!)