cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this truck and trailer combo doable for this trip?

wadecool
Explorer
Explorer
I’m new here and have a question regarding towing. First off, I have a 2016 Silverado 4x4, crew cab with 3.08 gears. I’m aware of my 6100lb trailer limit (12,000 lbs total truck+trailer). I drive 100 miles round trip for work and if we ever do buy anything to tow it will be a ski boat. Due to the low profile of a boat and trailer and our not going further than 200 miles for weekend trips to the lake, I’m sure my truck will do fine in that scenario.
All that being said, we are planning a big trip to Yellowstone next summer. I’m looking to rent a travel trailer and pull it to Rapid City, through Black Hills, and on to Yellowstone. The camper I have my eye on to rent is a Keystone Passport 2400BH. Its about 28ft long, and has dry weight of 4730 lbs. I’m figuring on adding 500 lbs of cargo, propane tanks, etc. I’ll be deadheading to St Louis, picking up camper there and heading to Yellowstone. My truck has 1800lb cargo capacity and I’ll be keeping it under 1500 lbs total.
What is the opinion of those in the know of my trucks ability to tow this camper. I’d like to be able to maintain 60-65mph on the flats and obviously slow as necessary for mountain passes.

Thanks in advance.
26 REPLIES 26

blt2ski
I'd do it. With 350 or so ponies, you are not low on power. You have a 4.10 ratio in first. Compared to my C2500, 4.10 x 2.48 1,st gr8 vs a 4.10 1st and 3.08 gears. I'll take your set up from a drive train stand point.
Here local, I'd be licensed at 8000 lbs, less truck weight of 5500 or so....plenty of legal payload.
Gcwr, or max tow rating has no legal standing from an LEO standpoint.
If you want to rent a truck and trailer go for it. My swag, you'll be going up hills with your 1500 faster than I was in the fall of 92 with 3.73 geared TBI 454 with a pos 3 so th400 auto. I was pulling A 6500 lb TT. Total 14000. On 9/13/2001, I was going thru Yellowstone again, same trailer but a 6.5TD with a manual 5 sp. Down 50hp, but being a turbo I did not lose the HP to elevation. Truck did better, dispute being 4000+ lbs over gcwr per GM. The 88 was at gcwr.
As noted, some rigs do fine at or above ratings, MY 6.5 was one of those. The 88 @ 89 454 rigs, did fine st sea level on a level. Put them on a grade steeper than 10-12%, they literally would stall out and not go forward.
Choose your tow rig wisely. For what you want to do, you'll be fine with your 1500. You'll be in upper 40s to low 50s on grades. Choose a gear and speed that does not stress the drivetrain, enjoy the trip.
I'm actually trying to find a 3.42 geared 4.3 V6 for.pulling a 6-7000 lb trailer. I'm not worried about it.
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Good going and ask if you would consider test towing that trailer with your half ton before going...heck even after coming back

That would be the very best way to learn the differences between the different classes of pickups towing heavy (the exact same trailer)

And, please post back both experiences !!!
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

wadecool
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after much deliberation, I've decided to rent a 3500 diesel dually from Enterprise Truck rental and a Premier 34BHPR camper to avoid issues with my truck and have plenty of room on the trip. I posted a trip itinerary here:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29688528.cfm

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
BIG difference between towing a flatbed and a travel trailer!
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Your truck will pull a 6000lb TT just fine. You won't win any races uphill. You won't use 5th gear much or 6th gear at all unless going downhill. The chassis and components will handle it admirably.
My current work truck is identical to yours except it has 3.42s....I think? At sea level, it'll pull a 14klb flatbed to over freeway speeds before it's time to merge into traffic. 2 days ago, I pulled a 28' flatbed deckover weighing about the same or a little more than the camper you're talking about over 3 mtn passes in the Cascades and noone passed me because I was a slow moving vehicle.
Your gearing isn't ideal (unless I happen to have 3.08s too).
Trailer brakes and a wdh and leter rip!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled a similar trailer to yours out to Yellowstone with my old half-ton Suburban. If I were you, I'd also install a new diff cover with cooling fins. IMHO the rear axle is the most worrisome component of the powertrain, My friend now owns my Suburban, it has 250k miles on the original engine and transmission, but it's on rear axle number 4. I broke it twice while on vacation pulling my trailer. The third replacement was because of improper break-in, under warranty. I'd already lost 4 days off my vacation; I didn't want to waste another day putting 500 unloaded miles on the axle before I started towing.

I'd also make sure I packed one of those infrared thermometers, to check the rear axle temperature during the trip. We actually did some traveling at night, so we wouldn't be fighting 100°+ temperatures, to help the axle.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
You are far better off putting most of the gear in the trailer, not in the truck. 100 lbs of gear put in the truck equals 100 lbs that goes 100% against the payload capacity of your truck. 100 lbs of gear loaded in the trailer, adds about 12 lbs to the tongue weight, which means only 12 lbs goes against the payload rating of your truck.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
wadecool wrote:
MFL wrote:
If you have the 5.3 V8, it should do the job. I'm sure you know that TT will put you right at truck's towing limit. You will likely add more than 500 lbs to trailer wt. You will need to have some water on board while traveling, I am thinking you'll add 1,000 lbs minimum to trailer for that length of trip.

Everyone has a different comfort zone, when it comes to towing. That camper appears to be a bunk house, and you don't say how many passengers will be going on the trip. Everyone/everything in the truck counts against the truck's GCVWR.

Anyway, when towing right to the vehicles limit, some will say it was a nightmare towing experience, and the next person say the tow went really well.

Jerry

It will be myself, wife, 11 year old daughter, and 2 medium size dogs. I planned on putting most of the gear in the truck bed. As far as water, I planned on keeping the tanks in camper empty and just bringing a couple gallons to carry in truck. We can get water as needed at Ye Olde Wal-Mart as needed on the way.
I'm good with going slow and taking our time, I just want to make sure I don't cause any damage to the truck on the trip.

Check your tire / loading sticker (on drivers door post) and read (including the fine print) the towing section of your owners manual. Depending on cab configuration, drive train, power train, and installed options, every vehicle has it's own payload and towing capacity. F150's (as with any make / model) are not all created equal. Your max towing capacity is "UP TO" 6100 lbs. That means your truck is rated to tow 6100 lbs under certain conditions. Those conditions don't include passengers, aftermarket accessories, or cargo. As you add weight to the vehicles (with items mentioned), your towing capacity is going down.

Here's a link to a calculator, where you can input your specific numbers.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
I think the 500lb loading is extremely optimistic.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Don't get obsessed with putting things in the truck, thinking that somehow preserves towing capacity! Every pound you put in the truck reduces your towing capacity by roughly 7 pounds.

I can pretty much guarantee that you don't have 1800lbs of payload capacity. Using real world weights you are closer to 1200lbs, and by the time you put your family and the trailer tongue on the truck it will mostly be used up, and your truck will look like a giant stepped on it.

You can tow seven times as much as you can haul. Anything that can go in the trailer should go in the trailer.

Agreed on the 1800 lbs. Not sure how you are figuring that, but there is a sticker on the door jam that does list it for you truck.

For comparison, I have a 2015 CC SB Sierra. Max trailering package (NHT), so different rear end and 3.73 gear. My payload is 2015. When I've looked at similar trucks without the NHT, but with 3.42's, payload has been in the 1500 lb range.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't get obsessed with putting things in the truck, thinking that somehow preserves towing capacity! Every pound you put in the truck reduces your towing capacity by roughly 7 pounds.

I can pretty much guarantee that you don't have 1800lbs of payload capacity. Using real world weights you are closer to 1200lbs, and by the time you put your family and the trailer tongue on the truck it will mostly be used up, and your truck will look like a giant stepped on it.

You can tow seven times as much as you can haul. Anything that can go in the trailer should go in the trailer.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ppine wrote:
I had a Chevy PU once with a small block V-8 and 3.08 and it was a terrible tow rig, I used to tow a 2 horse trailer with it which is around 5,000 pounds loaded.

What year truck was it?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
RTCastillo wrote:
First thing I'll look is the truck's operating manual. It should clearly state towing limits.

Read the OP's OP... he says it has a 6100lb tow limit.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a Chevy PU once with a small block V-8 and 3.08 and it was a terrible tow rig, I used to tow a 2 horse trailer with it which is around 5,000 pounds loaded.