Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is this truck and trailer combo doable for this trip?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Is this truck and trailer combo doable for this trip?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wadecool wrote:

According to the RPO codes on sticker in glove box, it has the HD transmission cooling (KNP code).

Easy to check. If it DOES have a HD transmission cooler, there will be 3 "coolers" up front. The radiator, the A/C condenser and the furthest forward and likely the smallest the transmission cooler.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will also need a good weight distributing hitch with sway control.

Get in the right lane and stay there. This is not a race. Keep your speed to 55-60, and slow down if there is a crosswind you can feel. Turn the overdrive off and downshift as needed. Downshift more if your tranny is doing a lot of up and down.

You will be fine, just take it easy and use common sense. Enjoy your trip!

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/18 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wadecool wrote:

RTCastillo wrote:

First thing I'll look is the truck's operating manual. It should clearly state towing limits.

Owners manual says 6100 lbs tow limit, 12,000 lbs for both truck and trailer.

You should be ok then and with safe driving speed. Just be a little watchful of the trailer movements and towing vehicle handling -- swaying or buckling. One very helpful tip for me is to check the alignment of both the towing vehicle and the trailer to see that's it's level. That made a big difference in handling.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a Chevy PU once with a small block V-8 and 3.08 and it was a terrible tow rig, I used to tow a 2 horse trailer with it which is around 5,000 pounds loaded.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RTCastillo wrote:

First thing I'll look is the truck's operating manual. It should clearly state towing limits.

Read the OP's OP... he says it has a 6100lb tow limit.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

I had a Chevy PU once with a small block V-8 and 3.08 and it was a terrible tow rig, I used to tow a 2 horse trailer with it which is around 5,000 pounds loaded.

What year truck was it?

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't get obsessed with putting things in the truck, thinking that somehow preserves towing capacity! Every pound you put in the truck reduces your towing capacity by roughly 7 pounds.

I can pretty much guarantee that you don't have 1800lbs of payload capacity. Using real world weights you are closer to 1200lbs, and by the time you put your family and the trailer tongue on the truck it will mostly be used up, and your truck will look like a giant stepped on it.

You can tow seven times as much as you can haul. Anything that can go in the trailer should go in the trailer.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Don't get obsessed with putting things in the truck, thinking that somehow preserves towing capacity! Every pound you put in the truck reduces your towing capacity by roughly 7 pounds.

I can pretty much guarantee that you don't have 1800lbs of payload capacity. Using real world weights you are closer to 1200lbs, and by the time you put your family and the trailer tongue on the truck it will mostly be used up, and your truck will look like a giant stepped on it.

You can tow seven times as much as you can haul. Anything that can go in the trailer should go in the trailer.

Agreed on the 1800 lbs. Not sure how you are figuring that, but there is a sticker on the door jam that does list it for you truck.

For comparison, I have a 2015 CC SB Sierra. Max trailering package (NHT), so different rear end and 3.73 gear. My payload is 2015. When I've looked at similar trucks without the NHT, but with 3.42's, payload has been in the 1500 lb range.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the 500lb loading is extremely optimistic.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

handye9

Brown City, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wadecool wrote:

MFL wrote:

If you have the 5.3 V8, it should do the job. I'm sure you know that TT will put you right at truck's towing limit. You will likely add more than 500 lbs to trailer wt. You will need to have some water on board while traveling, I am thinking you'll add 1,000 lbs minimum to trailer for that length of trip.

Everyone has a different comfort zone, when it comes to towing. That camper appears to be a bunk house, and you don't say how many passengers will be going on the trip. Everyone/everything in the truck counts against the truck's GCVWR.

Anyway, when towing right to the vehicles limit, some will say it was a nightmare towing experience, and the next person say the tow went really well.

Jerry

It will be myself, wife, 11 year old daughter, and 2 medium size dogs. I planned on putting most of the gear in the truck bed. As far as water, I planned on keeping the tanks in camper empty and just bringing a couple gallons to carry in truck. We can get water as needed at Ye Olde Wal-Mart as needed on the way.
I'm good with going slow and taking our time, I just want to make sure I don't cause any damage to the truck on the trip.

Check your tire / loading sticker (on drivers door post) and read (including the fine print) the towing section of your owners manual. Depending on cab configuration, drive train, power train, and installed options, every vehicle has it's own payload and towing capacity. F150's (as with any make / model) are not all created equal. Your max towing capacity is "UP TO" 6100 lbs. That means your truck is rated to tow 6100 lbs under certain conditions. Those conditions don't include passengers, aftermarket accessories, or cargo. As you add weight to the vehicles (with items mentioned), your towing capacity is going down.

Here's a link to a calculator, where you can input your specific numbers.

* This post was edited 07/10/18 01:11pm by handye9 *

08 F250 Crewcab,4X4, SB
5.4, 4.10 gears
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Is this truck and trailer combo doable for this trip?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS