Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is this truck and trailer combo doable for this trip?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Is this truck and trailer combo doable for this trip?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are far better off putting most of the gear in the trailer, not in the truck. 100 lbs of gear put in the truck equals 100 lbs that goes 100% against the payload capacity of your truck. 100 lbs of gear loaded in the trailer, adds about 12 lbs to the tongue weight, which means only 12 lbs goes against the payload rating of your truck.

intheburbs

SE MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pulled a similar trailer to yours out to Yellowstone with my old half-ton Suburban. If I were you, I'd also install a new diff cover with cooling fins. IMHO the rear axle is the most worrisome component of the powertrain, My friend now owns my Suburban, it has 250k miles on the original engine and transmission, but it's on rear axle number 4. I broke it twice while on vacation pulling my trailer. The third replacement was because of improper break-in, under warranty. I'd already lost 4 days off my vacation; I didn't want to waste another day putting 500 unloaded miles on the axle before I started towing.

I'd also make sure I packed one of those infrared thermometers, to check the rear axle temperature during the trip. We actually did some traveling at night, so we wouldn't be fighting 100°+ temperatures, to help the axle.

2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your truck will pull a 6000lb TT just fine. You won't win any races uphill. You won't use 5th gear much or 6th gear at all unless going downhill. The chassis and components will handle it admirably.
My current work truck is identical to yours except it has 3.42s....I think? At sea level, it'll pull a 14klb flatbed to over freeway speeds before it's time to merge into traffic. 2 days ago, I pulled a 28' flatbed deckover weighing about the same or a little more than the camper you're talking about over 3 mtn passes in the Cascades and noone passed me because I was a slow moving vehicle.
Your gearing isn't ideal (unless I happen to have 3.08s too).
Trailer brakes and a wdh and leter rip!

* This post was edited 07/11/18 05:43pm by an administrator/moderator *

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BIG difference between towing a flatbed and a travel trailer!
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Is this truck and trailer combo doable for this trip?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS