Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford v10 loses power

Redram99
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!!
I have some power issues.
2010 e450 class c with the v10 and 90,000 Kms.

A couple of times in the past the engine has disliked aggressive acceleration and seems to kick into safe mode. This has happened when I am merging onto the highway and holding it wide open to get up to speed. It seems to drop from producing 300hp to about 200hp!! However, itโ€™s only happened a couple times and if I pull over shut it off and restart it is all good again. This only happened 3-5 times over 3 years.

Recently, we did a 3000km trip around bc and on our way home, it started to act up but would not get better. We stopped for a little break, it was running like a champ and then hit the road and it โ€œdetunedโ€ itself. Tried the shut off and restart and it would be good until I hit the first hill and as soon as I pull hard on it it detunes again.

As long as I can keep it in high gear it will pull hard. As soon as it downshifts and the revs pop up to 3500 it will pull hard for a couple seconds and then you can feel it drop power. And then will not smarten up for 10km or so.

It also wouldnโ€™t provide any engine breaking coming down hill. The tranny would downshift but it would just go faster on hills that the engine would normally hold the desired speed.

Motor sounds great.
Not using oil.
Idles smooth and smooth at 4500 rpm.
Not overheating.
Tranny shifts good.
No codes

Any ideas?
I am going to do a air and fuel filter.
Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazing it is.

I wonder "If something is too good to be true, it probably isn't" applies here. It's getting so one sometimes probably shouldn't even trust design engineers anymore.

Perhaps that filter technology - whatever it is - could be applied to my well water filter, my motorhome's water filter, and my backpacking water filter. Or at the very least, have that filter technology extended to us older Ford chassis motorhome owners' external fuel filter replacements so that we could switch to it and never have to replace it again.

Personally, I'd MUCH RATHER have the Ford engineers switch to double fuel pumps in the tank for reliability redundancy so that when one fails, a dash warning light comes on that one of the fuel pumps has failed and you're now depending on only one of the two fuel pumps. I guess that right along with double in-tank fuel pumps should be separate relays for each fuel pump.

On RV trips a failed fuel pump can be very disruptive, serious, and/or dangerous: i.e. Failure on a busy roadway/highway with maybe no shoulder or no cell service, or failure out in the middle of nowhere when boondock camping where maybe you can't get a tow or no cell service, or failure in a small enough town where they can't/won't drop fuel tanks or where you have to find a place to stay while waiting for parts and tank dropping.

I hope whoever invented in-tank fuel pumps is sleeping well nights. :M and :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Amazing.
FUEL FILTER
Your vehicle is equipped with a lifetime fuel filter that is integrated with the fuel tank. Regular maintenance or replacement is not needed.

This is not something new.
I had a 1961 Buick with a fuel "filter" in the tank.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Amazing. I went to Ford.com and found this in Owner Manual for 2013 E-Series:
FUEL FILTER
Your vehicle is equipped with a lifetime fuel filter that is integrated with the fuel tank. Regular maintenance or replacement is not needed.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Try changing the air filter and cleaning the MAF sensor just downstream of the air filter. MAF cleaner can be bought at Auto Zone or the like. Also make sure the electrical connector on the MAF sensor has not become disconnected.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Magic I guess, but the wifes honda does not have a filter either. Guess its the screen that is in the tank.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then how does the gas get filtered?

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
on my 2012 was going to change the filter last year when fuel pump went out. NO filter external to tank. Places show one but none there in actuality.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Redram99 wrote:
There is no external fuel filter on the 2011.
Itโ€™s in the tank.

The fuel pump is in the tank.

There had better be an external fuel filter somewhere outside the tank so that it can be changed periodically.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Redram99 wrote:
Bad news โ€” No fuel filter!!! Go figure.

Good news. I changed air filter, cleaned maf and did a computer reset.

Took it for a good run and pulled a couple long hills. Problem didnโ€™t resurface.

Only has 1/4 tank of fuel in it(trying to exacerbate the fuel pump if thatโ€™s the issue)

Actually ran better than it has for a while. Air filter didnโ€™t look dirty but they never do!

Are you absolutely sure there is no external fuel filter ?? I just serviced a friends 2012 Winnebago class C and it has the exact same fuel filter in the exact same spot as my 2008. All the parts lookups I just checked show the same filter ford has used for years for that year. It would be on the inside frame rail like right under the drivers feet. And this whole problem does sound like it could be a plugged filter. My friends was bought used, so maybe an external filter was added, but weird. Good Luck

Redram99
Explorer
Explorer
There is no external fuel filter on the 2011.
Itโ€™s in the tank.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Redram99 wrote:

What do you mean by "No fuel filter"?

You mean the fuel filter wasn't the problem, or do you mean that your chassis did not have a fuel filter?

If it's the latter ... what's up with that? Perhaps you should have one installed! (I think fuel injectors like clean fuel.)

Redram99
Explorer
Explorer
I also have it tuned by 5 star.
I used the tuner to relearn the crank sensor.
Checked for codes and there were none.

Redram99
Explorer
Explorer

Good news. I changed air filter, cleaned maf and did a computer reset.

Took it for a good run and pulled a couple long hills. Problem didnโ€™t resurface.

Only has 1/4 tank of fuel in it(trying to exacerbate the fuel pump if thatโ€™s the issue)

Actually ran better than it has for a while. Air filter didnโ€™t look dirty but they never do!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
tobydad wrote:
One possible problem could be the fuel filter being partially clogged and as you accelerate the increase in gas cannot make it through the filter. Always start with the simplest solution first.

That may NOT be so simple ! A few years back Ford stopped installing inline fuel filters. The only filter is the sock on the pick up in the tank !