cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmission fluid evolution..

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
My old burb was designed for Dex III. I have of course been using Dex-6 on the occasional drain and fill. I went to the store to buy some Dex 6 the other day and all they had was a synthetic Dex-6/Merc-LV. I read the label and it reads like a fluid that replaces the above two plus some import fluids. I suppose I will run it and not worry about it. But, as a general rule, I haven't been a big fan of the multi use fluids.
14 REPLIES 14

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:

What do you mean, "Honda manual transmission fluid" -- I wasn't aware that any late model Hondas offered a manual transmission option.

They sure do...even the brand new Accord can be had with a 6sp.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
Maury82 wrote:
crcr wrote:
thomasmnile wrote:
Toyota like so many other manufacturers is using 'sealed' transmissions with fluid that supposedly never requires/requires infrequent changing. With the 2018 Camry 2.5L engine, the factory fill motor oil is now 0w-16 (and per the manual is the ONLY oil to be used unless you can't find 0w-16, which is just appearing in the US market). Hard to wrap my head around, but Toyota has been using 0w-16 on its Japanese vehicles for 2 decades. Guess we'll see how it plays out, especially driving in Florida in the summer months.

Our 2014 Honda Accord specifies 0W-20. I use Mobile One Synthetic 0W-20.

Same here with the Mobil One full synthetic. I don't trust Honda manual transmission fluid, so after breaking the car in, I immediately dumped the factory gear fluid and put in Penzoil Synchromesh gear fluid, and the shifts are smoother, and the engine revs more freely.

What do you mean, "Honda manual transmission fluid" -- I wasn't aware that any late model Hondas offered a manual transmission option.

The Civic SI is manual transmission only.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Maury82 wrote:
crcr wrote:
thomasmnile wrote:
Toyota like so many other manufacturers is using 'sealed' transmissions with fluid that supposedly never requires/requires infrequent changing. With the 2018 Camry 2.5L engine, the factory fill motor oil is now 0w-16 (and per the manual is the ONLY oil to be used unless you can't find 0w-16, which is just appearing in the US market). Hard to wrap my head around, but Toyota has been using 0w-16 on its Japanese vehicles for 2 decades. Guess we'll see how it plays out, especially driving in Florida in the summer months.

Same here with the Mobil One full synthetic. I don't trust Honda manual transmission fluid, so after breaking the car in, I immediately dumped the factory gear fluid and put in Penzoil Synchromesh gear fluid, and the shifts are smoother, and the engine revs more freely.

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
thomasmnile wrote:

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
I understand your aprehension on a multi use fluid.
A couple I have had good luck with are Valvoline Maxlife atf, and Amsoil.
The Valvoline Maxlife is a newer formulation that is similar to the low viscosity formulas like Dex6 and Mercon LV. It still seems to work fine in the older Dex3 applications.
Amsoil handles it a bit different, they offer a low viscosity formula and a traditional viscosity formula. I do prefer this, since you csn more closely match the viscosity to what the transmission was originally designed to use.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
silverfz wrote:
On my tundra i just did my first transmission service . Drained 4 qt out and out 4 qt in at 140k. Mine is a full sync world ATF and it is suppose to be lifetime. i plan to do it another one in 60k.

Initially, on the CRV, I bought Honda transmission fluid. Then I started using Casterol import synthetic transmission fluid (Transmax). I rode on that for a few years. It did perfect. I do know that Toyota transmission fluid is top shelf stuff.

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
On my tundra i just did my first transmission service . Drained 4 qt out and out 4 qt in at 140k. Mine is a full sync world ATF and it is suppose to be lifetime. i plan to do it another one in 60k.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
thomasmnile wrote:

My wife's town and country and my old CRV have "sealed transmissions". On the van I pulled the pan and changed the filter and filled it back up with ATF+4. 159,000 and shifts like it did when new. On my old CRV the transmission doesn't have a pan but it does have a drain plug. About once a year for years I have drained off three quarts and added three quarts. 200,000 miles later still shifts perfectly. There is no such thing as transmission fluid that never wears out. Cars and trucks are designed to be very low maintenance but, need a major repair every 150,000 to 200,000 miles.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Devocamper wrote:
falconbrother wrote:
My old burb was designed for Dex III. I have of course been using Dex-6 on the occasional drain and fill. I went to the store to buy some Dex 6 the other day and all they had was a synthetic Dex-6/Merc-LV. I read the label and it reads like a fluid that replaces the above two plus some import fluids. I suppose I will run it and not worry about it. But, as a general rule, I haven't been a big fan of the multi use fluids.

probably does not matter at this point but dex 6 was not backwards compatible with dex 3 at least not in the Allison transmissions dex 6 would damage the seals for some reason there was a certain manufacturer date for the change over, look for the material standard number if it is on the bottle it should be ok .

Dex6 if fully compatible with GM transmissions using DexIII. Your correct on certain allisons, but it's an allison not GM transmission.

And I believe Dex6 has always been a synthetic fluid. but only more recently labeled as such by many aftermarket suppliers.

Personally I'd get a Dex6 fluid, not one designed for multiple uses. See if it says "compatible with" or "GM approved".
you want one with a GM approval
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:

probably does not matter at this point but dex 6 was not backwards compatible with dex 3 at least not in the Allison transmissions dex 6 would damage the seals for some reason there was a certain manufacturer date for the change over, look for the material standard number if it is on the bottle it should be ok .
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lubricants continue to improve on regular basis. It is one of the reasons cars go 200,000 miles now and often much longer.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Definition - Multi-use - works well in all equipment except for things that I own. 😄
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.