cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Property tax?

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
One of our fellow RV'ers told me he is being charged a property tax on his trailer that is parked at a private RV park here in NC. It's not tagged or titled in NC, it's from Georgia but they still tax it as property. Do other states do this too?
25 REPLIES 25

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
On wife's dad's property we had road tax school tax winter tax and summer tax plus special taxes to pay for new jail and so on. I think I forgot another one or two.
We were taxed at a higher rate since we did not live there too.

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
In Michigan, if the wheels and axles are removed from an non-motorized RV or manufactured home, mobile home and in a mobile home park, it's called "manufactured housing" and the property tax is set at $3/month or $36/year. If owned by a Michigan resident and it's their lived in principle residence they can also qualify for a homestead exemption reduction.

If the wheels and axles remain on the unit and registered/titled in Michigan in at a park, at home, or anywhere else it's called an RV (non-motorized only). The one time tax in Michigan when first registering the purchase of it is according to it's axle/total unloaded weight as manufactured in 3 classifications with the highest being a one time max cost of $300 good for a lifetime as long as you own it no matter with no other taxes or registration needed or additional costs. The max of $300 if owned and used for even 15 years is $20/year or $1.67/month.

If motorized it's called a vehicle and has higher yearly vehicle registration taxes but Michigan has NO personal property taxes so overall it's very reasonable also.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
I would love to have a cabin or something in NC. But since NJ and NY Residents took over a decade or so ago it has turned into a tax and more tax state.
Taxes on vehicles and MH and home would eat us alive..
Taxation without representation comes to mind. Seems like NC Citizens would try to fix that situation.

Virgina levies personal property tax on homes, vehicles and campers(TT, 5 th wheels, MH's etc). Not much better here but our gas tax is much lower which is why when I go to Myrtle Beach I fill up in SC.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to have a cabin or something in NC. But since NJ and NY Residents took over a decade or so ago it has turned into a tax and more tax state.
Taxes on vehicles and MH and home would eat us alive..
Taxation without representation comes to mind. Seems like NC Citizens would try to fix that situation.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pulsar is correct. Tag and tax together on renewable yearly tags, multi year tag tax bill comes included on your personal property tax bill annually. Sorry for the bad info.
Puma 30RKSS

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
pulsar wrote:
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

However, my question would be does NC charge the same tax to state residents?

In North Carolina, property tax is a county and municipality levy, not a state levy. That is also true in Georgia.

Yes, NC counties levy a property tax against motor homes and trailers.

It seems to me a better question would be: does he pay a property tax in his home county in Georgia? If so, he should look into why he is paying that tax.

One thing that confuses the issue in NC, is that one pays the property tax to DMV, when getting license plate renewals. DMV then sends the money to the appropriate jurisdiction.

Tom

NC actually uses 2 different taxing methods on boats, RVs, etc.
If your tag is a multi year tag you pay property tax. If it has to be renewed every year you pay a road use tax. The tax is the same amount regardless. I have seen RVs with renewable tags and boat trailers with multi year tags. Mine are the other way around. Boats are taxed as personal property regardless. It all depends on the clerk at the time of the original transaction. NCDMV tag and title offices except for one are contract operations. As a result you can get conflicting answers depending on who you are talking to. NCDMV licensing offices are state run by state employees.Their answers never waver.

North Carolina charges a highway use tax every time the title changes hands. That is a state tax.

The DMV sites I have seen call the yearly tax paid, when the tag is renewed, a property tax. For example, Tag & Tax Together
Your annual vehicle inspection, registration renewal and vehicle property tax will be due the same month each year. Only one payment - made either in person, online or by mail - is required to pay both the annual tag and tax for your vehicle (Inspection fees are still paid to the inspection station).

My registration card, that comes in the mail every year, lists the appraised value the taxing uint (in my case Forsyth County, Lewisville, and Lewisville, NC) and the tax rate for each. Those taxing units do not have the authority to levy road (or highway) use taxes.

BTW, those taxes are deductible as property tax for federal income tax purposes.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Here at my Escapee(CO-OP)Park Nevada there are Park Trailers, and regular trailers and Motor Homes everywhere. The Park Trailers are taxed, and the others have to be registered in there home states.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Florida a RV in a permanent situation WITHOUT a current tag can be assumed to be and taxed as real property ! Maybe same in other states >

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
pulsar wrote:
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

In North Carolina, property tax is a county and municipality levy, not a state levy. That is also true in Georgia.

It seems to me a better question would be: does he pay a property tax in his home county in Georgia? If so, he should look into why he is paying that tax.

One thing that confuses the issue in NC, is that one pays the property tax to DMV, when getting license plate renewals. DMV then sends the money to the appropriate jurisdiction.

Tom

NC actually uses 2 different taxing methods on boats, RVs, etc.
If your tag is a multi year tag you pay property tax. If it has to be renewed every year you pay a road use tax. The tax is the same amount regardless. I have seen RVs with renewable tags and boat trailers with multi year tags. Mine are the other way around. Boats are taxed as personal property regardless. It all depends on the clerk at the time of the original transaction. NCDMV tag and title offices except for one are contract operations. As a result you can get conflicting answers depending on who you are talking to. NCDMV licensing offices are state run by state employees.Their answers never waver.
Puma 30RKSS

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
I like your tag line, Ivylog. Although, if I steal it, I'm going to have to add: Only a **** Fool would do some to the things I do.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
GA charges a property tax on non motorized RVs...no longer on MHs. IF he has a current tag on the trailer, I would not pay NC... double taxation. Doubt he has a current decal on the GA tag.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
UPDATE: He lives here (NC) in the trailer all year because this is where his job sent him to work. He could be ask to relocate at any time. To me, the trailer & RV site fees could/should be considered a business expense but I don't know if he's an employee or private contractor.

Iโ€™m not a lawyer licensed in North Carolina, but every time Iโ€™ve moved to another state because my job required the move, I had to become a resident of the new state after X days. Having an RV as my residence would make no difference. Especially if the RV was my full-time home and I never took it back to the state where it was licensed.

A tremendous number of us have had jobs that could or have required us to move. Often on short notice. Lost a lot of money on being forced to sell a home a few weeks after closing once. Quit a good job once because I refused to move.

Just a choice we sometimes have to make.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a seasonal in MN. They sent the Tax Assessor around to measure or decks and sheds so they could tax them. My trailer had to carry a current license plate. After they measured my 4X6 shed and small deck they had to come up with a value then send me a bill. Then I paid the bill and they had to record it. When all this was done, they collected $16.00. I'm sure it cost them more to do all this than they collected. After one year they decided not to do this anymore. Figures..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS