Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: CB Radio
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> CB Radio

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use mine. An extra layer of protection.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
[email protected]
602-321-8141
K7OU
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't had the need for a CB since cellphones came into play.

Cell service coverage is usually great along most interstates and secondary roads so for weather, emergency or communications we use our cellphones.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still have one installed up under my drivers seat and it is always on but has the squelch turned up all the way. It only picks up what is close to me. I too only use it to monitor the truckers road hazard information and always nice to know where the "SMOKEY BEAR" is located.

The language on the Truckers CB is still very bad which is unfortunate if you have kids aboard...

I don't think I have ever heard another RV UNIT talking over it...

Even the Truckers are going away from it too haha...

Back in the early 60s it sure was the thing to have when traveling for sure... Every one going in the same direction all got to be friends and we all used to stop together and have some good conversations...

Days all gone now...

Roy Ken
[image]

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=RoyB]I still have one installed up under my drivers seat and it is always on but has the squelch turned up all the way. It only picks up what is close to me. I too only use it to monitor the truckers road hazard information and always nice to know where the "SMOKEY BEAR" is located.

The language on the Truckers CB is still very bad which is unfortunate if you have kids aboard...

Roy Ken
[image][/qukonote]

THATS A BIG 10-4 on keeping track of the "bears and their locations and directions of travel".

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

have one on in my truck whenever it is moving. you no doubt will get a post/s from somebody who heard a naughty word on one 15 years ago. [emoticon]

bumpy
Oh yes. Not sure if it was 15 or 20 years ago.

But you know what.. I used an earpiece on one ear for the CB. that way the Wife (who was easily offended) did not get to hear it, and as for me. it .... was simply ignored.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Do any of the CB handheld models come with a USB cable as their power supply? I have several 12VDC cigar lighter outlets already spoken for by other more critical hardware, but if one were powered by USB, I'd probably get one. I've got USB charging ports all over the Navion.
I have a 12VDC cigar lighter powered handheld CB unit, but I don't plug it in very often for the aforementioned reasons.
I like the CB background chatter. Very informative, and sometimes entertaining.

You can buy cigarette lighter Y-cables to make as outlets as you want.

Horizon170

GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use mine on occasion for traffic checks, but use it much more for local weather reports.

Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 03:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

Do any of the CB handheld models come with a USB cable as their power supply? I have several 12VDC cigar lighter outlets already spoken for by other more critical hardware, but if one were powered by USB, I'd probably get one. I've got USB charging ports all over the Navion.
I have a 12VDC cigar lighter powered handheld CB unit, but I don't plug it in very often for the aforementioned reasons.
I like the CB background chatter. Very informative, and sometimes entertaining.

You can buy cigarette lighter Y-cables to make as outlets as you want.

I just got from Amazon a USB male connector to a cigarette lighter female connector. $9.99. suspect it will only be 5 volts however?????????????
bumpy

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most all CB's are designed to run on 12VDC (or 120vac for a "Base" type) this includes the handhealds which use either 8 AA or 10 Ni-Cad AA cells.

All use ciggy cords, none use USB.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

I still have one installed up under my drivers seat and it is always on but has the squelch turned up all the way. It only picks up what is close to me. I too only use it to monitor the truckers road hazard information and always nice to know where the "SMOKEY BEAR" is located.

Roy Ken
[image]

After 30 yrs of working in High Schools, I have heard far more vulgar language from high school kids than I have heard from truckers in general. And yes, not all High school kids or truckers use vulgar.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> CB Radio
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS