Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Couple's trailer, tow vehicle, garage size
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Couple's trailer, tow vehicle, garage size

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
suehuck

COLORADO

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

We are new to both this forum and to RVing. We've had small (tiny) trailers in the past, but we're now retired and want to spend anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks a year in an RV spread out throughout the year.

We want to stick with a couple's trailer that has a queen bed set up all the time, a back bath, and one slide out. We also want a 6 cf fridge. We plan on spending some of that time in national parks so overall trailer length shouldn't exceed 22 or 23 feet.

We're considering the Coachman Freedom Express 192RBS or the Winnebago Micro Mini 2106FBS. They look very similar in layout - is there a significant difference in quality? The Winnie has smaller holding tanks but seems to cost more (based on RV Trader prices). Are there other couple's trailers to consider? We looked at Jayco but the holding tanks are the smallest of the bunch so we've ruled those out. Although the trailer doesn't need to be a true 4 season camper, we do plan on taking it down to warmer states for several weeks at a time when the snows fly in Colorado.

We've looked at Lance and some of the other well made trailers based on the west coast but they are too spendy for us.

The other thing we have to think about is the tow vehicle. Right now we have a 2014 Grand Jeep Cherokee with the tow package and a V8 engine. We also have an older vehicle we need to replace and that new vehicle will eventually become the tow vehicle for the trailer. But until we buy the new vehicle do you think it's safe to use the Jeep as the TV? I'm not concerned about payload, but since we live in the Rocky Mountains I am concerned about torque and wheel base.

Regarding the new tow vehicle to be purchased, we have to find a truck that will fit in our garage. (The builders put a bump out in the garage that severely limits what we can put in there.) We're narrowing our choices down to the Chevy Colorado and a Ford 150. To fit in the garage, the Ford 150 could only have the front cab with no extended cab and only 2 doors, so if the Chevy is hefty enough I'd prefer to buy it. But it's obviously more important to be able to safely pull the trailer through the mountains so if the Ford 150 is advised, we'll just put up with having only the front seat.

I've lurked on this site for a while and have learned quite a bit. I know that dealer reliability is critical, so if you all can either suggest a dealer on the front range or let me know how to find one I would greatly appreciate it. I've done some basic google searches but I'd really value personal experience.

Thanks for your help! We newbies so all advice is welcome.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the Forum....
Might also want to look at the Nash line (Northwood Manufacturing) They are decent quality and probably available in your area.

Something like this: Nash 23D.

[image]

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax LBZ
Blue Ox SwayPro

suehuck

COLORADO

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the suggestion on the Nash. I just took a look and the finish looks luxurious, but the trailer is almost 26' long.

Lwiddis

El Pueblo Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m happy with my Winnebago. Along with Airstream there is a lot in that name.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the length of the garage available? Good chance you can select a bigger cab and make it fit. The RegCab long bed F150 is 228" long. The SuperCrew 5.5' bed is only 232".

I would definetly go 1/2 ton truck over a midsize. The midsize isn't much smaller and you can buy a 1/2 ton with better suspension for towing.

The V8 in the jeep should be enough power unless you get into extreme altitudes.

I would suggest one of the eco-boost (turbo) engine options if you will spend a lot of time in Colorado. Naturally Aspirated engines lose 3-4% of power for every 1000ft above sea level due to thin air, so get up above 10,000ft and you are down by 30-40%. A turbo will compensate by pressurizing the incoming air so you lose very little power at altitude.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

suehuck

COLORADO

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our garage is 220" (if the bump out wasn't there it would be 238"). Good to know about the turbo engines. We will spend a fair amount of time at altitude so it sounds like a turbo engine will be a wise investment.

I never, ever thought about the bump out when we bought the place. Our options are limited to a) buying the half ton we want (one with at least a crew cab) but walking several blocks to park it and that isn't a great option in February, b) finding a half ton that will fit, so no crew or extended cab, c) buying a mid-sized truck, but I don't think it will have the heft we need in the mountains, or d) just use the Jeep for towing, but DH really wants a truck.

I could strangle the builders but that's another story.....

RTCastillo

Fontana, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The downside for Jeep is that it has very short wheelbase which makes it prone to sway -- unless you are getting a short trailer too.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best half ton truck you can buy is the F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost (comes with the 10 speed transmission), and Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP). Best tow vehicle made in the 1/2 ton. If buying new it will have to be ordered and be pricey but well worth it. If buying used, you will never find one with the HDPP.

This all won't be necessary for a 23-foot trailer, but if you ever plan on going bigger (like 28-feet), it would be wise to buy the truck you will need later, now; rather then buying something now, that doesn't work later.

P.S. - I camp in all kinds of NP, SP, Private parks, etc. and never had a problem fitting in with 25-feet and 28-feet trailers.

* This post was edited 07/10/18 10:31am by troubledwaters *

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the trailer size you are talking about, ANY recent V8 or turbo boosted half ton pickup and many SUVs, including your Jeep Grand Cherokee would be just fine. The VERY HIGHEST pass in Colorado isn't going to reduce the HP enough to cause any issues at those weights. A weight distributing hitch with good sway control will be just what the doctor ordered. I also think the Chevy Colorado would be fine. I would certainly do it. One consideration for mountain towing, the V8 engines will likely provide more engine braking on those long descents.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

BC4277

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum, I have a 192RBS, which I bought in March 2017. It has more than 20k miles, first trip was from Colorado to San Diego, up the west coast to Fairbanks, AK. and return to Colorado. The only issues I had were operator errors. RV 4 Seasons in Wheatridge fixed a couple of minor issues, i.e. a couple of stapled panels that had worked loose, some minor chalking. My wife & I love the floorplan.

I've had no problems towing with my 2003 Toyota Tundra, which included a trip down and return up "The Hill" to Bella Coola, BC. The Hill is about 35 miles of gravel road which has 8% to 12% grades. I have a friend that tows a ± 20' Coleman with her Jeep Cherokee and has not reported any problems. Definitively invest in a good WD hitch with sway control.

Whatever TT you chose, make sure you like the floorplan.

Bryan

2017 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer Hitch
2003 Tundra 4.7

Where ever I am,
is where I'm supposed to be

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Couple's trailer, tow vehicle, garage size
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS