Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: I may have a problem...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing: I may have a problem...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scjohnson243 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

badsix wrote:

you should have no problem with that truck. i'm wondering what rear end gears you have, should be around 340 or 373 the 373 is better.
Jay D.

It would depend on the year and which transmission.

OP?

The year is a 2005 engine is a 5.7l.

I do not know the gearing, But will try to find out.

Ok, so this is the 4 speed auto. That would have either 3.55 or the optional 3.90’s. Now if it came with 20” Wheels from the factory then it automatically got the 3.90’s. The info on gearing is in the glove box if you have the 17” wheels.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

proxim2020

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing to keep in mind, your truck uses Chrysler's engineered AFT+4 and it doesn't age like typical trans fluid. According to Chrysler the dyes used in ATF+4 may or may not change with age, therefore color can no longer be used as an indicator when determining the health of the fluid. Also as it ages, it doesn't produce the typical burnt smell so you can't tell by smell either. It's pretty difficult to tell if the fluid is any good so it's best to just stick with the maintenance schedule. If the sensors have tested good then I would have the fluid, filter, and spin on filter changed.

Rams came from the factory with a few different transmission cooler options. To figure out which one you have, just count the cooling rows in the cooler. The base cooler had very few rows, something like 8-10 rows. The trucks with the tow package came with coolers that have about 16 rows.

If you're truly overheating then you can upgrade to an even larger cooler. There was a 24 row cooler that was made for the 5.7L 3500's. The radiators used for the 5.7's all had the same mount points, so you could mount the 3500 trans cooler in a 1500. It's quite the beast.

[image]

I had an 08' 1500 Hemi that had the same 545RFE transmission as yours. We towed heavy with it for almost 10 years. My truck came with the towing package so I had a 16 row cooler. We never overheated even when pulling in the heat. A 16 row should be enough, but there's a 24 row cooler out there just in case it's not.

Fuzzy Bear

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/18 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have to ask, has the fluid and filters ever been changed? Yes, pulling the stick and looking at and smelling the fluid is a quick check, but I think it needed to go further. Dropping the pan will provide a lot more insight. Plus if it has been some time since the fluid and filters were changed it might be best to have it all fresh and new.

Doug

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 6spd auto.

2007 Lance 1191

xteacher

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/18 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

scjohnson243 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

badsix wrote:

you should have no problem with that truck. i'm wondering what rear end gears you have, should be around 340 or 373 the 373 is better.
Jay D.

It would depend on the year and which transmission.

OP?

The year is a 2005 engine is a 5.7l.

I do not know the gearing, But will try to find out.

Ok, so this is the 4 speed auto. That would have either 3.55 or the optional 3.90’s. Now if it came with 20” Wheels from the factory then it automatically got the 3.90’s. The info on gearing is in the glove box if you have the 17” wheels.

We have a 2013 Ram 5.7L HEMI with 20 inch wheels. It has 3.55 gears. The 3.92s are better, and I wish this truck had them. Our current TT is a good match for my truck, but if we went heavier, I'd definitely want the 3.92 gears.

OP, unfortunately, the pre-2007 Dodge/Ram trucks tended to be problematic regarding their transmissions. I hope you can get your truck's issue repaired without breaking the bank.

Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/18 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have the 3.92 rear end set up for trailer towing just wait til you have to replace it cause you are towing too much weight, going too fast, $2000 or more plus complicated break in period. Do not tow a too heavy trailer with early 2000's Dodges (just by a Chevy and enjoy).

1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/18 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LVJJJ wrote:

If you have the 3.92 rear end set up for trailer towing just wait til you have to replace it cause you are towing too much weight, going too fast, $2000 or more plus complicated break in period. Do not tow a too heavy trailer with early 2000's Dodges (just by a Chevy and enjoy).

What? You do that with any vehicle something will fail!

boosTT

Milwaukee

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/18 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How fast are you towing? Faster speeds will require more downshifts and get the trans hotter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing: I may have a problem...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS