Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need recommendations for small 110V freezer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Need recommendations for small 110V freezer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
plasticmaster

Home

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking for a small 110V freezer. I go to the Keys each summer, catch a lot of fish, and spend a lot of money and time going to the store for ice. I'm thinking a small 110V freezer would make a good addition to my camper for freezing/keeping fish fillets and storing/making my own ice. I'm thinking something around 3 cubic feet that I can carry and use in my travel trailer. Any recommendations?

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dometic coolfreeze are great. Ours is 49L capacity, works on 120VDC or 12VDC. For several years we used it when camp hosting. Set it to zero load with food and had frozen meat for all month.
Too far away, but ours is for sale.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Coolfreeze is nice as you can use it as a fridge OR freezer.

There are also several ac only ones on Amazon.

The $100 ice makers on Amazon or at BB&B pump out a lot of ice.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We removed one of our recliners, and replaced it with a 5.0 cu. ft. chest freezer ( Haier). We run it on an 800 watt inverter, when not on shore power.....which is most of the time. We wouldn’t be without one. Will soon have a 3.5 cu. ft. in our little class c!

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an Engel. Not sure how big it is but like the above 12/120 volt. I run it on 12 volt all the time less there is an issue with the 12 volt (Taes a common Computer Cord for 120).. on 12 volt it draws a great whomping THREE yes 3 Amps.. (less than some of my light fixtures).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Engels is good. Couple of things to keep in mind:

Unlike the 110 volt household freezers, these dual voltage units - Dometic, Engel, Arb, and a few others - are designed for use on boats and expedition vehicles, and are far more rugged than a household item needs to be.

As someone else mentioned, they can also be used as refrigerators as well as freezers, thus they are more versatile and useful.

Finally, with most of them, if you've got them plugged in to both 120 and 12 volts, they will run on the 120 but AUTOMATICALLY fall back to the 12 volt and keep running if something interrupts the 120 volt power. This can save you hundreds of dollars in food that DIDN'T spoil if you were away when the power went out.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

plasticmaster wrote:

I'm thinking something around 3 cubic feet that I can carry and use in my travel trailer. Any recommendations?

Small = $$$$ ! Make sure it has a real compressor in it. The Peltier style cooler will only drop the temp 20F-40F (?) from ambient. They can stack peltier cooler on top of each other and get much colder temps but the power consumption goes way up.

You are better off with something about 5 cu ft. Leave it outside (under some shade). Better yet, build a box around it with 2" foam, but make sure there is air to get in and cool the compressor !

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can’t remember the exact price, but, our little (3.5 cu. ft.) freezer was under $200.00!

We do nothing special for the freezer in our 5 th wheel.....it’s been doing well for three years! It was $160.00 well spent at Sam’s Club!

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

We removed one of our recliners, and replaced it with a 5.0 cu. ft. chest freezer ( Haier). We run it on an 800 watt inverter, when not on shore power.....which is most of the time. We wouldn’t be without one. Will soon have a 3.5 cu. ft. in our little class c!

This is EXACTLY, and I do mean exactly, what a co-worker did in his 30 ft travel trailer. They had a recliner they never used, but they go to Florida to fish, two to four times a year. I sat and watched them catch about 60 whiting one afternoon at Perdido Key. The little Haier freezer works nicely for keeping them, as it is well sealed and insulated and keeps them frozen on the trip home, with no power.

Charles

2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Need recommendations for small 110V freezer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS