Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Looking to get into RVing.. need help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Looking to get into RVing.. need help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Jeepnfool

Western PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks... I guess it's more than finding a place to place our head and fill our stomachs. Was also looking at the ability to use "my" bathroom when needed (Which for my wife is about every hour and half)... opposed to many of the raunchy roadside stops, though we did find that Love's truck stops had some of the cleanest restrooms around. not lugging a few overnight bags into the hotels at night or making sure the cooler is still full of ice. I would imagine that they would depreciate quickly, as it is more of a vehicle than a house and we know that one is usually good investment whereas the other tends to be a vacuum. My has mentioned that I wouldn't be able to cruise along at 80+ mph like I do in the truck, nor will I see anything around the 25+ mpg I was getting either. Hoping an RV would offset the hotel costs and the need to not "push" to get to the next city to find a room. I'm going to continue to do my homework and thank you all for helping see some options. I'm still not 100% convinced it's not for me, but have seen a few more options now.

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, here's something to think about. You said you did a criss-cross across the USA in 2 weeks. That means you did a LOT of hard, fast driving, motel hopping every night, sandwich in the car driving and fast food stops. Did you have time to actually get out of the vehicle and smell the roses? Were you able to visit any sites, see any attractions, visit any interesting places long enough to soak in the experience? Probably not. Too much time was spent just driving to get there and get back, like a badge of honor, "Hey, I did this! I was there!" but the experience was so short lived, 10 years from now, you'll have no memory of anything.

Now, I say all this because, if you drag along that jeep in the same 2 week trip, just exactly when will you have the time to use it?

If you are planning future trips, shorter distances, and to locations where you'll be in place for a few days so you can actually enjoy the time, the location, the activities, take the time to actually get that jeep out and go 4 wheeling through a muddy creek bed, well, that's a different matter.

I'm just raising the question, if you goal is a destination, spend a few hours and come home fast and furious, you are really missing out on what this lifestyle is really all about. With an RV, it's not all about the destination, the larger part of it is about the journey. You need time to smell the roses. Think about it? Do you really need to take that jeep along? Will you actually have time to use it? Jeeps, like roses, take a little extra effort to really appreciate. Consider you travels with shorter distances, longer stays, and more involvement with the experience of the moment and I think you'll find a new perspective on why we really own RV's.

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!
And yes, it really does have a door on the opposite side:

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“but the great majority of owners kind of do it anyway”

That’s not ever a reason to exceed max tow rating.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your issue is the trailer and the Jeep. I understand that taking the Jeep would be a priority . . we loved ours & it gave us lots of fun. You wouldn't want to leave it at home. I think you need to look into a used Class A, preferably a diesel, for your Jeep & trailer. You don't have to go big. Look at a 36'. Good luck. You'll love it vs moteling.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Jeepnfool

Western PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I never did address the fact we did the trip really fast, which we knew we were doing. The trip itself was a last minute plan (decided Saturday, left Wed). Did we skip a lot? yes. Did we see a lot? yes. We pretty much skipped the Midwest as the Southwest was the goal and bee lined it to Arizona. Took in Meteor Crater, Petrified forest and spent a full day at the Canyon... We wanted more, but the short trip didn't allow us, Sedona, Hoover Dam, etc. were all skipped, but hotels were already reserved and we had a schedule. Then another arrow shot to Anaheim for 2 days at Disney, then a short trip up the coast before turning inland towards Fresno, spent a day in the Sequoia National Forest and Kings Canyon. Wanted Yosemite, but again, short timeline. Another jaunt over to San Fran and a day and a half there Before heading back east. A few hours at lake Tahoe and at SLC. before the rest of the trip became gas stations and candy bars... this was our first trip to the west, and we wanted to cover a lot, so we knew we couldn't spend much time in one place.. but now we have a taste and would like to do it again SLOWER. Like the 4 corners area for 2 weeks, then back to CA for 2 weeks. We also have plans for Yellowstone and the Northwest, but will be doing it much much slower. Seeing all the RVs on the road while we were driving.. I figured all these people can't be wrong for doing it this way.... Also figuring, since we had to reserve hotels, it put us on a schedule, rather than having our home on our back. I realize that we may
still need to reserve a spot at the local RV camp/KOA, but unsure how that part works yet and can you just prop up for a night at the local rest stop? Not saying that I'm drawing out the awning and throwing some chairs out, I just to catch some zzz's
And yes the Jeep is my priority, as I would like to be able to go to all the prime 4-wheeling spots across the country and enjoy them while they're still open to the public. This wouldn't be every outting, but special trips. Trips where the Jeep wouldn't go, we would pull our little RAV 4 or something so we can navigate the towns/sites while the beast is parked.

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeepnfool wrote:

Thanks... I guess it's more than finding a place to place our head and fill our stomachs. not lugging a few overnight bags into the hotels at night or making sure the cooler is still full of ice. My has mentioned that I wouldn't be able to cruise along at 80+ mph like I do in the truck, nor will I see anything around the 25+ mpg I was getting either. Hoping an RV would offset the hotel costs and the need to not "push" to get to the next city to find a room.

I love RVing and that is about the only reason to do it. You still have to find a place to camp, setting up camp is more work then checking into a hotel, and the 10 MPG fuel cost along with the RV cost and maintenance would cover a lot of hotel expense and then some. Having an RV is not a way to save on cost. For myself, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The real question is how much money do you have or want to spend? Money will give you options. Little money; little options.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of time, when we camp, there are no hotels or motels. So, there is that part as well.

Plus, like many others, we prefer our own beds, our own shower, and our own cooking, except when we choose to eat out...

My guess is that costs probably work out similar between more for gas in RV, less for campsite vs hotel ... less for food.

Because we camp in a truck camper, we have less an issue finding a camp spot, and only a couple mpg difference in mileage. A larger rig probably has a bit more 'comfort', and a bit more fuel costs.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & JAX Fla
GMC 2500 4x4 Sierra X-Cab
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
2002 Angler 8B
Back-country camping fanatic

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hondavalk wrote:

Jeepnfool wrote:

Thanks... I guess it's more than finding a place to place our head and fill our stomachs. not lugging a few overnight bags into the hotels at night or making sure the cooler is still full of ice. My has mentioned that I wouldn't be able to cruise along at 80+ mph like I do in the truck, nor will I see anything around the 25+ mpg I was getting either. Hoping an RV would offset the hotel costs and the need to not "push" to get to the next city to find a room.

I love RVing and that is about the only reason to do it. You still have to find a place to camp, setting up camp is more work then checking into a hotel, and the 10 MPG fuel cost along with the RV cost and maintenance would cover a lot of hotel expense and then some. Having an RV is not a way to save on cost. For myself, I wouldn't have it any other way.

x2

wife and i bought a 33ft TT last year and new f250 ford truck to tow it. the main reasons we bought it were having our own bed, bathroom, etc. i have never liked staying in a motel room no matter how nice and clean it appeared. don't want to sleep and bath where thousands of other people have done the same.

other reason is that we are able to travel with our 4 small dogs anywhere we like to travel which so far has been mainly in the southeast us.

add this to the fact that we love relaxing in a state park or private campground sitting outside, grilling and cooking food, drinking an adult beverage. very relaxing for us.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends what your budget is. Diesel Cs like the ram 5500 chassis are pretty speedy. Like 6 figures spendy.
Look for a C with a V10 FOrd or 8.1 Chevy. Probably the best you can do for towing with a gasser class C. They’ll haul a 3 ton trailer. Don’t expect to win any races uphill or at altitude.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Looking to get into RVing.. need help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS