cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replaced my Generator ... Help

Jsejmz09
Explorer
Explorer
The Onan finally died. (has been nothing but trouble). I replaced it with a a open frame generator from Lowes for under 500. But I think I may have a heat problem. I ran it for about 1/2 hour and the compartment was very hot, even tho it is open on the bottom. Should I rig a exhaust fan pulling the air out, or in this case down? Has anyone else done this, I can't be the first to be cheap.
68 REPLIES 68

MrWizard
video does not play
youtube page does not completely load
checked other youtube pages, they are ok
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Jsejmz09
Explorer
Explorer
F4Jock you may be Semper Fi but all you F4 Drivers kill me. Below is a link to a longer video I did to show the basic finished product. I will be replacing the box fan with a all weather fan in the near future.

https://youtu.be/OoE33d_UJKw

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
Jsejmz09 wrote:
No sorry it cuts off when genny isn’t running.

But when the genny isn't running you don't need to cut of the electricity because you aren't using it! (Yeah I know - weird sense of humor but that's me!)

Honest, I really do know what you're doing, I was just using the literal sense of having electricity and not having electricity, not referring to powering or not powering the fuel pump. As I said, weird sense of humor! Gee, there's a new book title. Tom Swift and His Electric Fuel pump!
Patti, Jack, our GSD Gunner the Wonder Dog and our multtude of cats.
1998 National Tropi-Cal on a 1997 Ford F53 chassis with 460 Ford power.

Jsejmz09
Explorer
Explorer
No sorry it cuts off when genny isn’t running.

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
Jsejmz09 wrote:
TNGW1500SE. I think your right. Although the fuel system for the coach is not pressurized I like the idea of a cutoff. I have installed an electric cutoff that only works if the Genny is running.

But why would you want to cut off your electricity when the genny is running? Isn't that why you are running it in the first place? (Sorry! Just couldn't resist!)

Jsejmz09
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE. I think your right. Although the fuel system for the coach is not pressurized I like the idea of a cutoff. I have installed an electric cutoff that only works if the Genny is running.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Brian in Michigan wrote:
I remember being flamed years ago for sealing up the front end of my MH just behind the grill. I sealed it up using metal mesh and spray foam. Good grief the people just went nuts on how the engine heat was going to start a fire with the foam and non of this was near the engine. It all worked out and a dozen years later everything is just fine and working like I thought it would.It has always amazed me the responses that are giving from people who don't know their stuff from a hole in the ground.

WARNING: It takes 13 years for the foam to heat up. Then it explodes 😉

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
F4Jock wrote:
Okay, maybe I'm dumb but why wouldn't a gravity feed work in the first place? Why couldn't it be hooked up to the same feed line that the original one was? When I considered doing this that's what I was going to try.

I'd say the original gen would have had a electric fuel pump. The tank would be at the same level as the gen (or lower) so you'd need a pump to supply fuel or install a higher second tank for the gen.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Jsejmz09 wrote:
I believe it would. But There was no room for the tank on top. I already had a fuel line coming from the main tank that supported the Onan. That was the only reason for my installing an electric pump.

Since you are adding a gen that's not designed for an RV, gravity feeding the fuel might be a better option. There could be an issue hooking to the RV factory tank. Some fuel systems build up pressure in the tank.

If you remove the gas cap on a hot day, is there pressure in the tank? If so, it could build up pressure in the heat that overcomes the needle and seat in the new gens carb. That would cause fuel to fill the new gens cylinder, maybe to the point of fuel in the exhaust, oil pan or on the ground. A shut off valve on the fuel line might be advisable. It could be electric and connected to the same circuit as the fuel pump. The only thing keeping fuel in is the needle and seat when the fuel bowl is full. Excess pressure would overcome that seal.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
I remember being flamed years ago for sealing up the front end of my MH just behind the grill. I sealed it up using metal mesh and spray foam. Good grief the people just went nuts on how the engine heat was going to start a fire with the foam and non of this was near the engine. It all worked out and a dozen years later everything is just fine and working like I thought it would.It has always amazed me the responses that are giving from people who don't know their stuff from a hole in the ground.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
Jsejmz09 wrote:
F4Jock... That might work. Thank you. If you flew F4 in the Air Force I used to load the bombs lol.

I am USMC. Mostly flew top cover and CAP. Hated close support. The "Double Ugly" disliked low and slow. Too damned big a target and unwieldy.

Jsejmz09
Explorer
Explorer
F4Jock... That might work. Thank you. If you flew F4 in the Air Force I used to load the bombs lol.

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
Jsejmz09 wrote:
Yes my fuel line was higher than the generator carb. In fact I could lower the fuel line below the level of the tank and it would not flow.

Your right about the winter weather on the fan. I haven't quiet figured that out yet.

Maybe a down-facing plastic or SS shield on the order of an external bathroom fan hood?

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
hipower wrote:
F4Jock wrote:
Jsejmz09 wrote:
I believe it would. But There was no room for the tank on top. I already had a fuel line coming from the main tank that supported the Onan. That was the only reason for my installing an electric pump.

That's what I meant. Since you removed the tank if you just hooked up the generator's tank to carb feed line to the original Onan feed line wouldn't that have obviated the need for the pump?

I doubt that it would since the Onan pulled fuel from the coach tank with it's own fuel pump. Slight possibility that what you suggest could work if the coach fuel tank was slightly higher than the input to the generator and the fuel level never went lower than that point.

Secondary thought on my part would be about the life of a fan that could be exposed to winter highway slop, etc., since this may be a year round use vehicle in the PA weather. Regardless, kudos to the OP for thinking outside the box and saving some expense with a solution that fits his needs. And catcalls to those who felt the need to berate him for trying.

No idea about the juxtaposition of the generator fuel feed with the tank but assuming that the one quarter tank safety level was adhered to you would think that there would be sufficient head most of the time to gravity feed. As I said, I considered doing this type of thing because, when my 5500 Generac needed work I thought it would be an easy and cheap upgrade in generator capacity but after looking into all of the possibilities I figured to put a grand into my original for a rebuild was a better ROI rather than go this route. I do hope it works and, of course, works long and safely.