Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Replaced my Generator ... Help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Replaced my Generator ... Help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Jsejmz09

Greencastle, pa

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why would you need a generator in a campground? It seems I am the first to try this, thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That type of generator is not designed for your application. I don’t think a fan is going to be sufficient to cool the unit and it certainly won’t help with the excessive noise that type of generator makes.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Michigander

Cedarville, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually am following this thread as I have had the same idea as the OP but to use a Honda 5,000 gen when our Onan croaks. We have had a Honda 2,000 for 17 years and it has been used a ton and never given us a lick of trouble. We have had serveral Onans and and if I can figure out the Honda idea I will never have another Onan!

2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
Honda civic toad "RGOCART"

"A father measures his wealth not in his possessions, but in the happiness of his family"

Stim

NE Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to make sure your insurance is up to date and purchase a large fire extinguisher. (although insurance might not cover your modification)
While the RV generator prices are excessive they are designed to go into the enclosure with heat exiting the bottom.
The RV generators have the large fan drawing air away from the generator heat.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you have to remove and extend the exhaust
you want the muffler outside the compartment
heat wrap the the exhaust manifold pipe going from generator to muffler
install a big fan blowing cool air into the compartment onto the generator
look up posts on 'generator sound quiet boxes'

you will get the general idea

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 04:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you install a fan you need to blow fresh air in. I wouldn't pull the heat through the fan. I would also mount the generator so that the exhaust is blowing out and not depend on the fan to move the very high temp exhaust. I would also NEVER sleep with it running.

Depending on how you use it maybe you could open the compartment door or even mount the generator on a slide out tray.

blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, not to jump on the bandwagon, but a $500 generator is a very poor long term option. They are not even made to last many hours of continuous use, are loud , and suck fuel. As far as your question, keeping it cool in the enclosure made for an RV gen is gonna be hard if not impossible. If you're dead set on making it work, most likely will need to cut out the center of the door and install louvers at the least. You can wire up a fan of some sort but make sure you also come up with some ducting to draw fresh air into the space. Blowing the hot air already in the enclosure around will have little effect.I wish you Luck, but I'm skeptical that you'll ever be happy with it. Good Luck anyway!

Jsejmz09

Greencastle, pa

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL what a bunch of skeptics. The Rv is used for a band bus and 95% of the time is on shore power. We only want to use it occasionally driving down the road. So Yes I am going to put louvers in the door and mount a helping fan beneath the unit to assist with the internal fan that blows down thru the open bottom and draw fresh air in. I will send a bunch of pictures when I am done. I am determined you don't need to spend 4500 for a generator because you have an RV. PS: of course the exhaust will be extended beyond the chassis.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever you do, do NOT change the Muffler. A BIG mistake is to put an aftermarket muffler to quiet the noise. That causes the Genset to overheat. Doug

kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jsejmz09 wrote:

LOL what a bunch of skeptics. The Rv is used for a band bus and 95% of the time is on shore power. We only want to use it occasionally driving down the road. So Yes I am going to put louvers in the door and mount a helping fan beneath the unit to assist with the internal fan that blows down thru the open bottom and draw fresh air in. I will send a bunch of pictures when I am done. I am determined you don't need to spend 4500 for a generator because you have an RV. PS: of course the exhaust will be extended beyond the chassis.

I too would love to get rid of Onan in my RV life. I'd love to see someone get this successfully done, so I wish you all the luck and look forward to seeing some updates and pictures! I recently replaced my Onan with a new one. I maintained my old Onan 7000 perfectly and yet it was nothing but trouble every year. My Honda generator was totally neglected, and yet it has NEVER been in the shop for repairs! I was thinking the solution could be to remove the Onan from the bin, install a hitch carrier with an enclosure for a Honda with remote start. On the enclosure, make a small door that opens for the exhaust and power 2 12 volt fans on the enclosure (one sucking air in, one blowing air out). Could power the 2 fans from the 12 volt source on the Honda generator. The power output could be made so that when you unplug from shore power, you could plug into another outlet that is supplied by the Honda on the generator but close to the shore cord area inside the bin. The idea that the Honda would not pull fuel from the main tank is not that big of a deal, because the Honda fuel tank itself might have enough capacity to run many hours before needing to be refueled. Would also be easier to treat ethanol enriched fuel because you would only be treating the generator fuel, not the entire motorhome tank. A Honda on the hitch is not the perfect solution, but it might be a reasonable one when you are simply tired of pouring more and more money into the Onan, and wanting the reliability that the Honda provides. Reliability over convenience with the Onan might tip the scale for me next time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Replaced my Generator ... Help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS