Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Replaced my Generator ... Help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Replaced my Generator ... Help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Jsejmz09

Greencastle, pa

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh Ranger Smith, please don't be mad and go away. I laugh at the naysayers. Anything can be done it the will is strong enough. But if your offended then, Have a Nice Blessed Day.

doxiemom11

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect many have trouble with their Onan's because they do not use them and they sit idle for long long periods of time. We have an 18 yr old Onan that we make sure we use at least once per month under load even if we don't really need it, and have not had a problem with it ever.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

remember you came to an RV forum where members are campers and travelers
NOT 'members in a rock band'

many people here camp in forest campgrounds National parks etc..
there is no electric power no hookups, and they do use generators as needed and they want them quieter making less noise, less disturbing

you ask for advice, you didn't like the advice, maybe there is a band bus forum
where they are more attune to your way of thinking
enjoy your rv/band bus, i'm sure you will not notice the noise while rolling down the road

there are people here with champion generators
but they sound different when sitting on grass in the open. than stuffed into a RV compartment reflecting all the sound like an amphitheater

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Stim

NE Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jsejmz09 wrote:

Proof of Concept:
To make the genny fit I first removed the gas tank. And installed a low volume electric fuel pump. Then I wired the genny into the coach. (my shore power connects in plug in a different bay)

I added two vents to the door a 12x12 and a 8x8. Then I placed 'Temporary" a box fan to the open bottom sucking out. So far after 1 hour my compartment temp has risen 3 degrees above the outside temperature

I don't know how to post photos...

So now you have an improper generator in an enclosure not designed for it and you connected an electric fuel pump to it.
Have you also added an engine stall system to shut off the pump, LIKE all vehicles with electric fuel pumps have been using for many years?
You haven't said how many members are in the band?
When you say "hold my beer watch this" you will have a lot of options.

F4Jock

Sweet Valley, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stim wrote:

Jsejmz09 wrote:

Proof of Concept:
To make the genny fit I first removed the gas tank. And installed a low volume electric fuel pump. Then I wired the genny into the coach. (my shore power connects in plug in a different bay)

I added two vents to the door a 12x12 and a 8x8. Then I placed 'Temporary" a box fan to the open bottom sucking out. So far after 1 hour my compartment temp has risen 3 degrees above the outside temperature

I don't know how to post photos...

So now you have an improper generator in an enclosure not designed for it and you connected an electric fuel pump to it.
Have you also added an engine stall system to shut off the pump, LIKE all vehicles with electric fuel pumps have been using for many years?
You haven't said how many members are in the band?
When you say "hold my beer watch this" you will have a lot of options.

Or a low pressure / high flow shutdown? Sometimes people just gotta do it for themselves. I just hope it either works or the lesson isn't too costly. I looked into his idea long and hard and asked lots of experienced RVers before I gave it up as a bad idea and had my genset rebuilt. Hell, I even looked at trying to mount an enclosed unit. I did end up gettimg one of those add on gen stacks. One thing I did learn over my 72 yrs tho -- don't give advice to someone whose mind is made up or ask for it if yours already is.

Patti, Jack, our GSD Gunner the Wonder Dog and our multtude of cats.
1998 National Tropi-Cal on a 1997 Ford F53 chassis with 460 Ford power.

dunnpe

Antioch Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Onan 5500 just gave it up with 1080 hours on it.

Symptom were would shut down after about 30 minutes but I could restart it after and hour or so. Then it got to be running less time between restarts. Figured it was from being too hot. Not so. Took it to an Cummings/onan service center and they first found the mother board burnt. Replaced board but didn’t fix the problem. Then with new board installed it was determined that it was the actual armature and the part that is around it to make the electricity had grounded out causing the problem. Replaced those and all is good except for my wallet. $2200 roughly

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 33V,
8.1 Workhorse, Koni's
2004 Honda Element

F4Jock

Sweet Valley, PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dunnpe wrote:

Our Onan 5500 just gave it up with 1080 hours on it.

Symptom were would shut down after about 30 minutes but I could restart it after and hour or so. Then it got to be running less time between restarts. Figured it was from being too hot. Not so. Took it to an Cummings/onan service center and they first found the mother board burnt. Replaced board but didn’t fix the problem. Then with new board installed it was determined that it was the actual armature and the part that is around it to make the electricity had grounded out causing the problem. Replaced those and all is good except for my wallet. $2200 roughly

Take a look at the prices for even used RV generators on eBay. At least you know where yours has been and what was done to it. So, you paid about 2 bucks an hour for power whenever you needed it.

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm picturing the Rock Band guy blasting through the desert on top of a bus. You aren't the only cheap one by any means, my buddy named me the "Cheap B-----d long ago.

You can figure out a way to do it but I would have started with an invert style that wouldn't have been much more money. You may get short life out of it or other problems but the main thing is just be sure it isn't going to burn down. As mentioned about fuel shut offs etc. It is one thing if it did catch fire but a whole different thing if it feeds itself lots of fuel.

Jsejmz09

Greencastle, pa

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the record it’s a Country Band and we travel Nation wide and are well known. No my mind wasn’t made up I asked for ides. The fuel pump has a kill switch . I am not young or stupid as most of you want to imply. You guys need to chill out. It’s in and it works. Thanks for all hel
End of discussion. Ps I am deleting my profile. Have a great day

bucky

Bunn NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sell a few more CDs or downloads and buy the proper equipment. You have let stubborn get in the way of logical thinking. We know that you are still reading so please don't use Blessed Day in a sarcastic manner anymore.

BTW you may have deleted your sig but your profile is still up.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs. It pulls better than Marcell Ledbetter's mule.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Replaced my Generator ... Help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS