cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing a motorcycle trailer

hamrs_62
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a motorcycle trailer, it is a aluma trailer, rated to haul 2800lbs, it did not have trailer brakes, does it need trailer brakes to haul the GVCW, from what I read on here I am getting the impression that it does, why or how can they sell it without brakes if the law states that it does, confused
7 REPLIES 7

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
hamrs_62 wrote:
I bought a motorcycle trailer, it is a aluma trailer, rated to haul 2800lbs, it did not have trailer brakes, does it need trailer brakes to haul the GVCW, from what I read on here I am getting the impression that it does, why or how can they sell it without brakes if the law states that it does, confused
We own an Aluma MC210 trailer and use it to carry 2 big Harleys. We've had it weighed several times fully loaded and its only been 2300 pounds total. Those trailers are light at 500 lbs. Don't worry about the GCVW its all about how much you really weigh loaded. We've pulled it all over for years and never been questioned.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

hamrs_62
Explorer
Explorer
thanks

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Generally, single axle trailers do not "require' brakes. Double axles do. And, of course, as mentioned above, the weight of a trailer counts too.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just bought a new cargo trailer to haul my Indian Springfield {862#}. It is a Pace American, Outback single axle and 6 X 10 {14' overall}. Sold my Kendon single trailer, which I loved and towed my HD Super Glide on for 15K miles over the last 2.5 years. The Indian was a bit much for the Kendon and had been wanting an enclosed cargo trailer for a while for the improved protection and security.

Did a few mods, paint, shelves and even a coatrack and then loaded the Torque Monster this morning. Headed down to the local C.A.T. Scale and the loaded with more than a few tools and toys the trailer came in at 2,315#.

I do not have, nor do I see the need for brakes on a 2,300# trailer as the 6.8L V-10 married to the Torque Shift 5 speed trans makes for one serious engine brake. Just use Tow Haul {ALL of the time} and you won't miss having trailer brakes.

Leaving in the morning for a run up to the White Mountains to ride the Devil's Highway... woo hoo!

:B

hamrs_62
Explorer
Explorer
well thanks, I have been looking at the laws here, and from what I see and read, it is like Washington, 3000 and over, on my trailer it says not to exceed 2900 lbs, and I will not exceed that with what I am hauling, but still like to check with other that have more knowledge on the subjects I have limited dealing with,, thanks, any other info anyone else has would be appreciated

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Washington requires brakes at 3000 pounds and over.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Federal law requires brakes installed by the manufacturer on trailers 3000 lbs or more GVWR. Your tow vehicle recommendation or state laws might be more restrictive than that.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3