Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Wall Mart Rules?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wall Mart Rules?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We never camped in a parking lot although have pulled in to grab a few hours sleep in a pinch. We much preferred to set camp and put our feet up with a cold one in a more relaxed setting. We were seldom in such a hurry that we had to push to the end of the day then hurriedly look for a place to crash for the night.

Nutinelse2do

On the Road Where the Weather Suits Our Clothes

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you need to define your definition of full timing.
Is there a Walmart overlooking the Grand Tetons, or how about the Oregon Coast?
If you have to stay at a WalMart for multiple nights due to cost, then you cannot afford to full time and need to find alternate plans for your future.
We have been rv’ing for 27 years, and full time on the road for four. Camping is NOT the most expensive part of this lifestyle.
There are many other places to stay for free while traveling through an area than a Walmart.
Have yet to stay at one, and never will.
Might want to check out free and low cost camping websites, join Passport America, etc. There are hundreds, if not thousands of alternate options.
Might want to do a little more research before you head out in a couple months.

Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - KSDP 3912... Cummins 350ISL..Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

IBcarguy

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, I have never stayed over night at a Walmart parking lot and would only do that if I was on the road and absolutely had no other choice. If I did, it would only be to get some sleep. I'd never disconnect, put out my slides or awning, or grill hamburgers. If I can't afford to pay the fees at a state park or a private RV park, I'd sell my rig and give up the RV life style.

* This post was edited 07/11/18 08:33am by IBcarguy *

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Imbriaco wrote:

Hi all! We’re not new to the RV scene but we are new to a ‘08 Montana 34RL and will be embarking on a full time RV life beginning in Sept. I need someone to settle a disagreement I have with my wife.

If you’re using a wall mart parking lot, is there a time limit, do you or can you d/c the truck from the trailer to check things out, and do you typically open all slides while parked there?

Thanks in advance for responses; this will be the 1st of many queries I have as awe prep for our next adventure.

Wally Docking:
1) Each store allows/disallows based on Local Ordinances
2) Time limit....OVERNIGHT
3) Not a CG so one should pull in..inquire with Store Manager as to YES/NO and if OK where to park---out of the way
4) Slides....??? really shouldn't cause it is NOT a CG but IF you have parked along a landscaped area away from flow of traffic then it is sorta OK

5) It is a business that has welcomed RVrs to utilize their parking lot for a overnight stay for the purpose of Sleeping....not sight seeing/adventuring or cheap camping

We Ftd for 7 yrs and NEVER needed to use a 'parking lot'
We traveled weekly..leaving one place around 10AM and parking/setting up by 3PM (CG/Fairground/City Park/State-National Parks/BLM boondocking)
Pretty sure Wally World did not intend on RVrs taking up parking area at 3pm and staying until 10AM before leaving

Use it if you need to catch some ZZZZZZZZZZZsss then move on

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One night was all I wanted in wal mart. some nut kept driving around the parking lot with his load muffler and car

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ralph Cramden wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

Check in with the manager, do some shopping there and generally be gone the next morning.

Or you could sprout roots and stay a spell, put your feet up...lol

[image]

Looks like a typical KOA to me. No trees and plenty of RV's.

That'Coachmen' looks like it has issues.

Never understood the Walmart attraction. Cracker Barrel is much better and a genuine RV park is better yet. My philosophy is, if you are that cheap (you have to stay at Walmart, stay home instead).

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

One night was all I wanted in wal mart. some nut kept driving around the parking lot with his load muffler and car

There seems to always be some altercation going on at our local Walmart. My wife calls it 'punch out at Wally World'. goes on weekly. Not sure if it's drug related or what but certainly not a good place to set up shop at.

lee worsdell

elmvale

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stayed many times ,I do put my slides out only way to get to my bedroom. We do shop their also. I try to find the furthest spot so iam not taking parking spaces up that customers would use.

lee worsdell

elmvale

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And sidecar flip has nothing to do with price. I drive well into the night to get where iam going. Don't think at midnight a koa would let me in lol. Iam heading to pembrooke maine for a week this Friday after work. So a Walmart will be our choice Friday night.

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Imbriaco wrote:

B.O. Plenty wrote:

Why not opt for the security and convenience of an RV park? We will never stay in a WalMart lot. They aren't all in good neighborhoods, besides if we park there it's one less spot for the 1/2 million dollar diesel pushers that roll in at noon to spend a couple days there.
B.O.

Totally agree. Just understanding how people use (or avoid) the cheap or free nights stay.

The same type of people who complain there are not enough campgrounds where they want to camp or the campgrounds are not kept up to their liking.
If you don't support the campgrounds when traveling then don't complain when you can't find a campground when they close because they can't make a profit.

Camped in every state but Alaska

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wall Mart Rules?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS