Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Wall Mart Rules?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wall Mart Rules?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Imbriaco wrote:

Hi all! We’re not new to the RV scene but we are new to a ‘08 Montana 34RL and will be embarking on a full time RV life beginning in Sept. I need someone to settle a disagreement I have with my wife.

If you’re using a wall mart parking lot, is there a time limit, do you or can you d/c the truck from the trailer to check things out, and do you typically open all slides while parked there?

Thanks in advance for responses; this will be the 1st of many queries I have as awe prep for our next adventure.

You have to apologize now for opening up this topic -- again! Lol!

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

And they DID.....over and over
Until the shoot out!

NOW us law abiding citizens do NOT have to put up with the low-lifes

I was =trying= not to disparage the LEOs in CV, but I can see that it was likely warranted. :-(

Lyle

* This post was edited 07/11/18 06:00pm by an administrator/moderator *

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Walmart by my house does not get many (any?) RV over-nighters probably because it is about 1.5 miles off of the freeway. The odd thing is, there are frequently a dozen or more 18 wheelers parked there ! Yes, they are quite far from the building but it seems quite odd.

There are at least 3 "big box" stores between the freeway and Walmart. Some have even larger parking areas, but they do not allow overnight big rig parking.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

The Walmart by my house does not get many (any?) RV over-nighters probably because it is about 1.5 miles off of the freeway. The odd thing is, there are frequently a dozen or more 18 wheelers parked there ! Yes, they are quite far from the building but it seems quite odd.

There are at least 3 "big box" stores between the freeway and Walmart. Some have even larger parking areas, but they do not allow overnight big rig parking.

I just read an article that says there is a major shortage of parking places for cross country semi's. They prefer truck stops with electric hookups, dislike rest areas which have no electric hookups. Walmart parking may be better than nothing.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wadcutter wrote:

Imbriaco wrote:

B.O. Plenty wrote:

Why not opt for the security and convenience of an RV park? We will never stay in a WalMart lot. They aren't all in good neighborhoods, besides if we park there it's one less spot for the 1/2 million dollar diesel pushers that roll in at noon to spend a couple days there.
B.O.

Totally agree. Just understanding how people use (or avoid) the cheap or free nights stay.

The same type of people who complain there are not enough campgrounds where they want to camp or the campgrounds are not kept up to their liking.
If you don't support the campgrounds when traveling then don't complain when you can't find a campground when they close because they can't make a profit.
100% in agreement. Some friends that own a small campground told us their biggest competitor is the Walmart 10 miles down the road..shame.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

excelrvguy

Smith Center, KS

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I published an article I found on my website about Walmart overnight parking etiquette.

https://btrvinnovations.com/blogs/rv-service-tips/rv-tips-tricks-walmart-overnight-parking-etiquette

jdb7566

minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Imbriaco wrote:

Hi all! We’re not new to the RV scene but we are new to a ‘08 Montana 34RL and will be embarking on a full time RV life beginning in Sept. I need someone to settle a disagreement I have with my wife.

If you’re using a wall mart parking lot, is there a time limit, do you or can you d/c the truck from the trailer to check things out, and do you typically open all slides while parked there?

Thanks in advance for responses; this will be the 1st of many queries I have as awe prep for our next adventure.

Wal-Mart is not a campground, so the very thought of disconnecting your truck to go sight seeing says you ought to be staying in a real campground. Far too many doing as you suggest, have ruined it for those who just want a place to park for a few hours, or a short overnight.

2001400ex

Veradale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stayed at a Walmart in Bend Oregon a couple weeks ago for the first time. However we called literally every campground within a half hour and they were all full. Even the expo center which has over 100 sites and a huge open field. We asked if we can just park in the field since the campground was full and they said no. I was with another fifth wheel, we parked side by side, opened the slides, brought out camp chairs, and drank some beers. There was about 15 other campers doing the same. One next to us ran their flipping generator all night for some reason, which was irritating.

I personally would only do it as a last resort. Although we sleep overnight in rest areas often. We leave at 8 or 9 at night. I drive until I'm tired, sleep for 5 hours then get up and arrive at our destination early in the morning. Not everyone's cup of tea but works for us.

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2008 GMC 2500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Fiver Driver

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/18 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The picture reminds me of our first trip north. We were driving through Whitehorse, Yukon Territory when we noticed a lot of RV ahead. I thought it was a dealership. Approaching closer we saw the Walmart sign. No, we did not stay there.

happycamper1942

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/18 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year we were in Whitehorse in the Yukon and visited Walmart to do some shopping.an area of the parking lot had been turned into a RV lot, people unhooked, slides out,chairs and barbecue s at up, and they were there for days. It was a real mess. Made me ashamed to be a RVer.

2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2005 28 foot Gulfstream Innsbruck 5th wheel, 1993 Trav-l-Mate 8'-9"WS camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wall Mart Rules?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS