Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: AC working right?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> AC working right?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My new camper came with a Coleman Polar Cub 9.2.

It got a bit warm here today, so I tried it out. I noticed that even with the control turned to the cool limit, the compressor still cycles off. I just timed it at 1.5 m on and 3 m off and the air in the camper still feels warm. Is this normal? Is there a maximum duty cycle built into the control? Or is the control sensing the cool air in the vicinity of the unit and switching off. All control is on the unit. What's your experience? Thanks.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No it is NOT working correctly

Compressor should NOT cycle on/off until temp set point has been reached
When compressor shuts down the 3M is needed for high pressure side to equalize before compressor starts again

Sounds like unit is 'freezing' up.

Is it humid where you are?
Are you running A/C Unit on HIGH Cool?
Is air discharge Cold?

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One other thing to look at is if an air outlet is blowing directly on the thermostat.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

One other thing to look at is if an air outlet is blowing directly on the thermostat.

It's hard to imagine a truck camper would have anything but a direct blow A/C with the thermo mounted on the unit itself as part of the ceiling unit. [emoticon]

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three things can cycle it off. In the case of a COLEMAN with "Local" (not a wall mount thermostat) there is one more.. And I'm suspecting that last one.

If your controls are knobs on the ceiling in roughly the middle of the grill....

Remove the knobs. tehn teh grill and filter

There si a small "Tube" with a bulb on the end

ON my Carrier's this was the frost sensor and it was stuck in the evaporator coils but on a COLEMAN with ceiling controls THIS SENSOR DOES NOT EXIST

The sensor that LOOKS LIKE IT. it the room air temp sensor and is NOT supposed to be poked into the condenser.. It's just supposed to hang there in free space. Why they did it that way I do not know and I can see several "issues" with doing it that way Find a place you can zip tie it down and be happy.

THIS ONLY APPLIES TO CEILING CONTROLLED UNITS. If you have a wall-T-Stat this does not, far as I know, apply.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No wall stat, all control is at the ceiling. I removed the knobs, grilles, filters, and shroud this evening. As soon as I dropped the shroud, the compressor came on and stayed on. Put the shroud back up, and the compressor shut off again. No bulb sensors evident.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing that can cause vehicle A/C systems to cycle ON/OFF rapidly and not cool well is a low refrigerant level.

A tiny leak in the system can of course cause this. Rare ... but it can cause what the OP is experiencing.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same unit in a 14ft cargo trailer. Generally it will run for maybe an hour or more to cool down the trailer then cycle, but cyle is more like 10 minutes on or more then off. I highly suspect from your description and statement that something is amiss in the unit rotary thermostat causing the compressor to cycle. maybe it is getting airflow it shouldn't.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you need to clean the intake filter.. Find the T-Stat sensor (look around) on my Coleman the thing was just hanging there in free space but it is an after market install. On my Carrier controlled Advent Air it's stuck in the evap coil.. THat one will cycle if it gets too cold.

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The unit is brand new, no time for the filters to load up. Plus, when I lifted the shroud back into position and the compressor kicked off, there were no filters in place.

This looks like the setup.

Note that with the shroud in place, cold air from aft (left in the diagram) traveling forward to the front louver and bed area (right in the diagram) is forced around the sides of the boat shaped connection box that houses the thermostat near the bow. I'm wondering if I'm experiencing a design flaw.

To those with working Colemans: Does yours looks like this?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> AC working right?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS