Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: AC working right?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> AC working right?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looked again and found the sensor. It was located where it couldn't be seen, coiled up above the boat.The end was in contact with the cold air duct below it. Raised it up and pulled the end out over the passenger side intake filter. It's working much better now, and seems to be dropping the temperature in the camper a bit. It still won't run continuously, though. Seems to work at about 50% duty. Maybe some more tweaking of the sensor position is needed.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/18 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went out and looked at ours. It's a Mach15 and the controls are on the forward end of the ceiling unit. But it's a Coleman with a "Free Delivery" ceiling unit. I can see on ours, when I drop the filters out, that the Sensing Bulb, from Thermostat (Key 4 on Diagram) is entirely in the INTAKE (air Return from Coach Interior through Filters) part of the Ceiling Unit. Right under a Filter. Ours happens to be on Driver Side.

This tells me the Bulb from your Key 4 thermostat should be exposed ONLY to air being returned From the Coach Interior FOR Chilling. ***NOT*** in any Cold Air being Discharged out the ENDS of your ceiling unit.

Is the FABRIC DUCT COLLAR (Key 1) in place? Its job is to make sure that ALL air being drawn in through the Filters in the Ceiling Unit (your linked parts list) goes UP into the Rooftop Unit ***AND*** make sure no Chilled Air gets into the Return (from Coach Interior) area.

I think something is installed improperly or incompletely. Chilled air is getting onto that Bulb, and the Bulb should be looking only at RETURN air.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

wildtoad wrote:

One other thing to look at is if an air outlet is blowing directly on the thermostat.

It's hard to imagine a truck camper would have anything but a direct blow A/C with the thermo mounted on the unit itself as part of the ceiling unit. [emoticon]

Yet somehow our truck camper came stock with a wall-mounted digital thermostat that controls both the furnace and ceiling Polar Cub 9200 A/C unit. [emoticon]

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried pulling more if the tube out above the filter this morning. Will see if the camper is warm later.

Unlike some capillary tubes, there is no bulb on the end. Therefore the whole length of the tube is involved. The "bow" of the connection box has a small gap that would allow chilled air inside. I thing a bit of tape might be in order.

If that doesn't work...

Thanks to all, especially wa8yxm who encouraged me to keep looking for that tube.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> AC working right?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS