Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2018 V10 Ford Class A Rough ride!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

 > 2018 V10 Ford Class A Rough ride!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
campingfig

Southern California

Full Member

Joined: 04/13/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/10/18 11:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First long trip taking out our brand new 2018 winnebago Vista. Roughest ride ever! Feel every bump in the road and am seriously concerned about damage or things shaking loose. 5 days into trip and unit is getting new squeaks!!Any suggestions on how to improve the suspension. Are there modifications that can be done to the suspension like air bags different shocks or something? would love to hear.


Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" at the top?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, post your topic in the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!


* This post was last edited 07/12/18 04:00pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

jerseyjim

New Jersey

Senior Member

Joined: 09/02/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/11/18 01:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Rough ride...." what are you comparing it to? Many years separate my (2001) from your 2018, but my ride is soft...at least completely acceptable.

"Squeaks..." yes. my dashboard had to be tightened..or has to be tightened every so often. The screws loosen up. So does the door. Someone once told me whenever one uses a RV, the unit itself suffers from a 7.1 earthquake. [emoticon]

There are quite a few "aftermarket" products to "improve" the ride and handling. The question now is: how much are you willing to spend?

Personally, the only mod I've made is the shocks. The Ford units were nothing more than rubber bands after 20,000 miles. I just drive the thing. I've learned how to concentrate on my driving completely as the motorhome tends to wander if I don't.

I try to put as much money in the gas tank as I can. Enjoy your ride!

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

Senior Member

Joined: 06/05/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/11/18 04:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on the condition of the road, my 2016 will rattle your bones or be a nice smooth ride. It’s always a guessing game as to what will fall out of the cabinets when you open the doors. I tried lowering the air pressures to the minimum per the charts for my weight which in my case is far lower than what is on the federal placard but not much if any help.

The next option is to replace the shocks as I’ve read many time that the factory shocks, while good quality shocks, are too harsh.


Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

Senior Member

Joined: 07/30/2014

View Profile



Posted: 07/11/18 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First thought is to check air pressure on the tires after weighing the rig ideally one wheel at a time. Air pressure should be adjusted accroding to the weight carried.

Desert Captain

Tucson

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/11/18 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

First thought is to check air pressure on the tires after weighing the rig ideally one wheel at a time. Air pressure should be adjusted accroding to the weight carried.


X2 Sounds like your tires are seriously overinflated for the load they carry. The original shocks on a 2018 should be fine.

[emoticon]





1492

Washington, DC

Moderator

Joined: 04/08/2005

View Profile



Posted: 07/12/18 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

Senior Member

Joined: 08/03/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/12/18 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

DownTheAvenue wrote:

First thought is to check air pressure on the tires after weighing the rig ideally one wheel at a time. Air pressure should be adjusted accroding to the weight carried.


X2 Sounds like your tires are seriously overinflated for the load they carry. The original shocks on a 2018 should be fine.

[emoticon]


X3! Don't make it more complex than it is. Are you running 19.5" Goodyear G670's? (I do.) I start at 80 psi and work up. Usually I run at +-90 psi cold all around. Lower pressures tend to wear the front outside edges of the tires. Over 90 psi creates the symptoms you describe.

Chum lee

stripit

Prescott

Senior Member

Joined: 02/24/2004

View Profile



Posted: 07/12/18 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just picked up a used 2018 Class C 31 ft from a dealer. My tires are capable to hold a lot more air than we needed, the first drive was very stiff. I drove to the CAT scales and weighed the motorhome. Was able to lower the tire pressures 30 lbs under what the dealer intalled when we bought the rig. MUCH improved ride and handling. Might be worth a try to drive to the scales and see what pressure you actually need.


Stacey Frank
2018 Holiday Rambler Admiral XE 31A
SMI Braking system
08 Lexus 400H hybrid
2015 Cadillac SRX
1991 Avanti Convertible

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 12/13/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/12/18 11:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the air pressure right, then put a set of Bilstein shocks on it. The difference was so dramatic that I was upset that I hadn't done the shocks sooner. That's why Jayco has Bilstein's stock on their j ride rigs now.


Retired Anesthetist. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS .Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey. Thorp T18, tons of tools and tons of junk.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/08/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/13/18 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campingfig wrote:

First long trip taking out our brand new 2018 winnebago Vista. Roughest ride ever! Feel every bump in the road and am seriously concerned about damage or things shaking loose. 5 days into trip and unit is getting new squeaks!!Any suggestions on how to improve the suspension. Are there modifications that can be done to the suspension like air bags different shocks or something? would love to hear.


? Did you see the "Announcement : ??READ BEFORE POSTING HERE??" at the top?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, post your topic in the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!


Moderators,
What's with this stuff? I see this on a quite often basis and for the life of me, I can't figure out why this stuff is inserted in various posts. Is there a reason for this?
Scott


Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

 > 2018 V10 Ford Class A Rough ride!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS