Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Need to get shot
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Need to get shot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

I would have a concern about bending the frame on the 5er with 800 lbs hanging off the back like that. Plus if I had a sweet looking bike like that I sure as shot wouldn't trust it mounted on the back of the trailer. Trading the 5er in for a toy hauler would be a better solution, plus lets the bike ride inside out of the elements.

If you had seen his write up on his own CUSTOM made MC carrier you would not have these concerns.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Chris, move the axles and get er dun! Other option is get ya one of these.

[image]

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still say to travel with full black and grey tanks, and minimal fresh water, and see how that works out before making major mods. Sounds like the OP is likely in a CG, with full hook-ups, so the dump should be no issue.

I'm also troubled by the fact that he stated that the rear tire on his bike was too worn to ride safely back home. Just how long was he gone that a "safe" tire to start with was worn down to "unsafe"? Either that, or just how many burnouts did he do on that tire? [emoticon]

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"I don't need to be in the 20-25% range although adding a third axle will put me in that range when the bike is not loaded."

I really don't see how that would happen. Every triple axle has a lower pid that I have seen. Sounds like your axles need to be moved back to get you to 20% or more pin. More would be better then it would come down some with the bike on board.

As to the random "at least it's not a Harley" comment. I went from a 1100 V Star Yami to a 09 HD UltraGlide, no comparison in so many ways.

Moving the axles back does the same thing as adding a third axle behind the tandems. Both place the center of the axles further back from the center of the load.

I really don't like to challenge any on your comments as I know you are an intelligent guy and usually agree with your comments BUT I don't see how adding an axle BEHIND your existing axles will change enough to make it worth while. I am not an engineer but the front axle placement has more to do with more or less pin weight. Moving your axles back will do much more.

Think about it this way: the trailer is a big teeter totter. The fulcrum of the teeter totter is not quite as precise when multiple axles are used and you're focussing on the weight being carried by the truck and seeing the fulcrum as being the front axle. If you look at the teeter totter in the same way but from the rear axle back and consider how much weight the bike is lifting off the truck you would see the fulcrum point as the rear axle. Consider if you added axles all the way to the back of the trailer. The bike wouldn't have any lifting effect on the pin.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

I still say to travel with full black and grey tanks, and minimal fresh water, and see how that works out before making major mods. Sounds like the OP is likely in a CG, with full hook-ups, so the dump should be no issue.

I'm also troubled by the fact that he stated that the rear tire on his bike was too worn to ride safely back home. Just how long was he gone that a "safe" tire to start with was worn down to "unsafe"? Either that, or just how many burnouts did he do on that tire? [emoticon]

Lyle

The Dunlop was about done when I left camping. It had 6000 miles on it and I had new tires on order. While camping I put about another 400 miles on the bike. i noticed it wasn't handling the way it should and so while enjoying a beer after my last ride I got thinking about that back tire.

[image]

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I agree with Chris, move the axles and get er dun! Other option is get ya one of these.

[image]

It would be interesting to see how a dually would have felt while the trailer was swaying side to side all over the toad.

bpounds

Senile, er I mean

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is probably a way to design a pair of tag swivel wheels into your lift. Something that can be rotated up and out of the way when you lower the lift, and rotated into load carrying position when traveling. Similar to the tote trailers that some use.

Just spit-balling, because I don't remember much about your lift design.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I really don't like to challenge any on your comments as I know you are an intelligent guy and usually agree with your comments BUT I don't see how adding an axle BEHIND your existing axles will change enough to make it worth while. I am not an engineer but the front axle placement has more to do with more or less pin weight. Moving your axles back will do much more.

This part theoretically works.

Assuming evenly spaced axles, the trailer pivots around the center point of the axles.
- With 2 axles, it's halfway between the axles.
- With 3 axles, its around the center axle.

The real problem is by the time you:
- Buy another axle, wheels and tires.
- Pay to have it mounted properly
- Add braking to that axle.
- Reconstruct the side to add wheel wells

I'm betting he could trade to a nice toy hauler and not have a jury rigged design.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

This part theoretically works.

Assuming evenly spaced axles, the trailer pivots around the center point of the axles.
- With 2 axles, it's halfway between the axles.
- With 3 axles, its around the center axle.

The real problem is by the time you:
- Buy another axle, wheels and tires.
- Pay to have it mounted properly
- Add braking to that axle.
- Reconstruct the side to add wheel wells

I'm betting he could trade to a nice toy hauler and not have a jury rigged design.

The cost of adding a third axle would be in the neighbourhood of $4000. I haven't seen a toy hauler that I like as much as my current trailer. I'm sure they're out there but like;y at a price that i wouldn't be willing to afford.

BubbaChris

St George Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If putting temporary weight up in the rig, look for something useful and inexpensive.

Although currently out of season here, 40# wood stove pellet bags run about $6 each (way cheaper than Traeger pellets). And we have a Flame Genie I use in lieu of a traditional campfire.

2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Need to get shot
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS