Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Need to get shot
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Need to get shot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Slownsy

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My comment. Dexter makes 6000lb axles with disk brakes as I had them on my FW. They also have different sise bearings for different weight. I would not be sure that axles are 8000lb as hubs can be interchangeable. Find numbers on axles and contact Dexter with numbers and they will give you all the details re axles brakes and springs. Shifting axles may not be a option as previous comments re slides etc but definitely better if possible than adding extra weight op front as well.
Frank.

Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

WaterJosh

Stockton CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 02:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow you got lucky on that tire, I've made a few trips that ended like that on a tire myself tho. As far as ballast goes, this may sound a little simple compared to everyone elses ideas, but remember the old Lucile Ball movie, the long long long long trailer... didn't she collect rocks?? Rocks are pretty easy to find, and free

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That would work. 4x5 gallon pails of gravel stored in the bedroom closet should add about 250 lbs to the pin.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slownsy wrote:

My comment. Dexter makes 6000lb axles with disk brakes as I had them on my FW. They also have different sise bearings for different weight. I would not be sure that axles are 8000lb as hubs can be interchangeable. Find numbers on axles and contact Dexter with numbers and they will give you all the details re axles brakes and springs. Shifting axles may not be a option as previous comments re slides etc but definitely better if possible than adding extra weight op front as well.
Frank.

They are definitely 8,000 lb axles; I just went through this exercise with a Dexter dealer to get the hub. There are a few ways to tell including the brake configuration on these trailers. I have the same model trailer as the OP.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WaterJosh wrote:

Wow you got lucky on that tire, I've made a few trips that ended like that on a tire myself tho. As far as ballast goes, this may sound a little simple compared to everyone elses ideas, but remember the old Lucile Ball movie, the long long long long trailer... didn't she collect rocks?? Rocks are pretty easy to find, and free

I replaced the tire last night. The Dunlop was even more done than I had realized:

[image]

WaterJosh

Stockton CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sold my 05 Kawasaki Nomad when we started trying to adopt a baby, but about 2 years before that I went to the "Darkside", and was running a Goodyear Tripletread Car tire on the rear, had 12k on it and it was just getting broken in, guessing it would've lasted 30k'ish... Got tired of buying $250 Metzlers

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/18 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep your poweder dry. Any time you need "ballast" and you are not on a boat you need to revisit the physics of your tow rig.

If I needed to add weight I would use a few bags of sand.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/18 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You must corner hard only one direction? 6k on a MC tire says you are a gear head!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/18 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

You must corner hard only one direction? 6k on a MC tire says you are a gear head!!!
Yeah I thought that too, but figured it must be the angle of the picture.

Depending on the compound of the tire, and considering the weight and torque of the bike, 6,000 miles isn't totally out of line. My stepson is constantly trying new tires on his bike trying find one that will last on his H-D Streetglide.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/18 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put US Made Dunlop’s on my 09 Electra Glide, 5k later they look great. I ride fairly hard most of the riding was in 90-100 temps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Need to get shot
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS