Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Driving 10km slower for gas mileage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Driving 10km slower for gas mileage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
83trekker

calgary,ab,canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK so i am about to embark on my vacation in to BC, Canada from albera here come the weekend.

Looking at gas buddy im looking around 1.40 to 1.52 per liter or close to 6 a gallon for my US people on here.

I am wondering would a difference of driving 90km per hour compared to 100km an hour make a big difference?

I dont want to drive 80km with seems to be a sweet spot for driving mileage. As its too slow and kind of a hazard as a lot fo the roads i will be on will be single roads, and pissing people off behind me.

With my truck i have the power to easily drive 120km with my trailer but that would deff not help my mileage at all and not safe with trailer tires.

Any suggestions?

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

83trekker wrote:

Any suggestions?

Drive the posted limit and pay the bill to do so. This is RVing, not an fuel economy competition. [emoticon]

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drive the speed you are comfortable with and if you get 5 vehicles stacked up behind you pull over at the next wide spot and let them by. I usually get a couple of thank you honks as folks go by (no one finger salutes) so people understand the reason for my speed or lack there of...

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your mileage is going to decline pretty quickly above 55-60 mph. But I'll still tow at 75 if the conditions allow for it. The mileage difference for my setup is maybe 10 mph versus 12, so even on a longer trip of (for example) 1800 miles you're talking about a cost difference of about $100 at current diesel pricing in my area. Not very material relative to the total cost of the trip.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towing at slower speeds certainly improves mpg but I've never done so for just that reason. We do most of our RVing in the mountain west region and tow our TT at the speed where our 3/4 ton gasser is most capable of handling the steep drops and inclines we routinely face getting to our destination. It does an admirable job of getting us where we need to go, but I've long given up the idea of fretting mpg while underway since it is all part of pursuing this lifestyle. Have a great time in BC!!!

83trekker

calgary,ab,canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all, ill prob just do the speed limit as lot of it in BC is 90km per hour anyways, gas is high here in Alberta but BC its just insane.

They need a pipe line going through there to help out [emoticon]

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a fellow Canadian, I can't believe what the people of BC will put up with in the excessive taxation of gas. Right now gas ia around $1.25 a litter. Will fall 10 cents to $1.15 shortly.

* This post was edited 07/11/18 05:39pm by an administrator/moderator *

12thgenusa

Loveland, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No to nitpick but that’s only a little over $4 US.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar,
Rogue MPT-3024, 440 AH GC2 bank, ProWatt 2000,100% LED lighting

83trekker

calgary,ab,canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12thgenusa wrote:

No to nitpick but that’s only a little over $4 US.

But in BC they have seen already 1.62 or higher so far this summer. The other number quoted above was for Ontario.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IB853347201 wrote:

Right now gas ia around $1.25 a litter. Will fall 10 cents to $1.15 shortly.

Pipe dream. [emoticon] Here in the GTA regular is running $1.30 to $1.38 per litre (has nothing to do with a litter [emoticon] ) depending on the time of day, any reduction Ford invents will quickly be corrected by fuel suppliers taking an even bigger chunk and in the longer term the price at the pump will still be uncomfortably high. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Driving 10km slower for gas mileage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS