cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving 10km slower for gas mileage

83trekker
Explorer
Explorer
OK so i am about to embark on my vacation in to BC, Canada from albera here come the weekend.

Looking at gas buddy im looking around 1.40 to 1.52 per liter or close to 6 a gallon for my US people on here.

I am wondering would a difference of driving 90km per hour compared to 100km an hour make a big difference?

I dont want to drive 80km with seems to be a sweet spot for driving mileage. As its too slow and kind of a hazard as a lot fo the roads i will be on will be single roads, and pissing people off behind me.

With my truck i have the power to easily drive 120km with my trailer but that would deff not help my mileage at all and not safe with trailer tires.

Any suggestions?
23 REPLIES 23

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife and I take care of the high speeds on I90 by staying off of I90. We travel on state and US roads most of the time. I would rather take US 14 across MI & SD than act as a speed bump on the interstate. We are retired so an extra day of driving is not a big deal to us. We have met the greatest people on the 2 lanes. I will not pull at 80 mph. All that being said, don't drive up my butt if I am doing the speed limit on the 2 lanes, I will slow down for you to make it easier for you to pass us.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Recently did a run from Kelowna to Rock Creek, so moderate hills. Kept it mostly to 80 in a 90 zone, pulled over when I could if folks were behind me, and averaged 20 l/100km, so in my mind ~14mpg, or ~12mpg US. Was pretty happy with that.

Heading to Banff shortly and will keep it to 80 or 90 kmh. But will be a hillier drive so I figure 25 l/100km. As a rough guess, 10km/h cost about 1 mpg. For a planned trip of about 1000KM towing, the extra gas is about $25.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
For us the sweet spot is somewhere between 60 and 65 mph. We realize that this puts us outside the legal limit of 55 mph in some states and too slow in others that can do 75. However with car traffic and some truck traffic often moving in the 80mph range, the lane turbulence is scary even at 65. We were nearly wrecked in January when some yahoo moving at an estimated 90 mph tried to avoid slowing down for traffic in the opposite lane by squeezing between us and the vehicle to our left. Locked up all the brakes and had a serious white-knuckle event. ugh.
Bill
2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's/Android Pixel 2XL -WAZE
"And were still wandering..."

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
It takes 4X the horsepower to double your speed, mostly all is due to wind resistance.

Drive as fast as you can afford

Personally because it's California law and I live here I tend to drive 55-62mph everywhere I go.

actually it takes 8x the horsepower to double your speed. however when considering the power to travel a given distance you need to consider time. So.... it takes 8x the horespower to double the speed, but for power required for a given distance it is 4x since doubling the speed results in 1/2 the time to cover a given distance.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
SoundGuy wrote:
Pipe dream. :W Here in the GTA regular is running $1.30 to $1.38 per litre (has nothing to do with a litter ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) depending on the time of day, any reduction Ford invents will quickly be corrected by fuel suppliers taking an even bigger chunk and in the longer term the price at the pump will still be uncomfortably high. ๐Ÿ˜ž

That's why I moved out of the GTA. Much like Vancouver prices, Toronto GTA prices are a complete rip off.
2010 Suncruiser

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel mileage drops considerably with speed when towing. Don't worry about those that want to speed, you will never find a speed that will suit those that always want to go like crazy.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't do 80 in a 100 zone unless conditions really call for it (ie: don't run off a curve because you tried to take it at unsafe speeds). If you can safely do the speed limit, stay fairly close to it. At 80, you are a danger on the road worse than someone doing 130. It's particularly bad on 2lane/2way roads where drivers get frustrated stuck behind a slow poke and take risks to get by you.

Generally, you aren't going to see much difference between 90 and 100 but it depends on the drivetrain. Especially with older trucks with fewer gears somewhere around 80-90 you will find a bad spot where the transmission gearing is either too high or too low (It will vary based on engine, transmission and loading), so the engine races under light load or it lugs under heavy load. In that case, it may be more efficient to pick up the pace by 5-10, so the drivetrain is in a more efficient gearing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
It takes 4X the horsepower to double your speed, mostly all is due to wind resistance.

Drive as fast as you can afford

Personally because it's California law and I live here I tend to drive 55-62mph everywhere I go.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
it may depend on your truck gearing. On my 2015.5 duramax, towing at 55 I will be in 5th gear for sure in tow/haul mode and likely even if not. At 60mph I'm in 6th when out of tow haul, 62 goes to 6th in tow haul. that extra gear pretty much evens out fuel mileage. Since wind resistance, engine rpm, and tire rotational losses are all square law function vs speed, they will eventually dominate over linear losses, rolling resistance etc. But my experience is that those "square law" losses are balanced by the linear losses up to the 50ish mph range. by the mid to upper 60's they really dominate. But in the 50-low 60 mph range not as dramatic effect on mileage.

you can try but may find the difference in mileage not noticeable enough to be worth the effort.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't had my TT long enough to get numbers, but here are the numbers I had with the Class C that I owned for 10 years.

60 mph - 9 mpg (97 kph - 4 kpl)
70 mph - 6 mpg (113 kph - 3 kpl)

That is a 17% speed increase and a 33% fuel efficiency decrease. (Metric figures rounded off.)

Speed matters.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I'm towing my TT in BC this week. I'm seeing $1.46/l for unleaded all over Vancouver Island and up at Squamish. I was happy to find diesel for $1.35 today. I was paying $3.08 for Diesel when I left Oregon. I find I don't see a hit until I go over 110km/h. I usually find a nice semi to draft if I need an economy boost.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Please keep the politics out of this thread. Thank you.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
The difference in miledge between 90 and 100 is so insignificant it's not worth worrying about. I do notice increased fuel consumption if I push much beyond 100 towing but I am not comfortable going that fast and never in that big of a hurry. I am content to stay in the right lane and let the leadfoots go by.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
12thgenusa wrote:
No to nitpick but thatโ€™s only a little over $4 US.

Yep, correct. And Western WA here is trying to beee like BCee with our fuel prices.
My take on the fuel savings is what's your time worth? And this goes both ways. If drivign slower only costs you 20min and saves you enough to buy a cold 12pack (6pack in BC $)maybe it's worth it.
But if when I drive X country, if I average 70mph on I 90 (easy to do by yourself without much stopping) I can save 10-11 hours of driving over averaging 50mph. When it's the difference between a 2 day or 3 day drive....pour the fuel to 'er and get the F out of my way!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold