Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Driving 10km slower for gas mileage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Driving 10km slower for gas mileage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12thgenusa wrote:

No to nitpick but that’s only a little over $4 US.

Yep, correct. And Western WA here is trying to beee like BCee with our fuel prices.
My take on the fuel savings is what's your time worth? And this goes both ways. If drivign slower only costs you 20min and saves you enough to buy a cold 12pack (6pack in BC $)maybe it's worth it.
But if when I drive X country, if I average 70mph on I 90 (easy to do by yourself without much stopping) I can save 10-11 hours of driving over averaging 50mph. When it's the difference between a 2 day or 3 day drive....pour the fuel to 'er and get the F out of my way!

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The difference in miledge between 90 and 100 is so insignificant it's not worth worrying about. I do notice increased fuel consumption if I push much beyond 100 towing but I am not comfortable going that fast and never in that big of a hurry. I am content to stay in the right lane and let the leadfoots go by.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please keep the politics out of this thread. Thank you.
Barney

bartlettj

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm towing my TT in BC this week. I'm seeing $1.46/l for unleaded all over Vancouver Island and up at Squamish. I was happy to find diesel for $1.35 today. I was paying $3.08 for Diesel when I left Oregon. I find I don't see a hit until I go over 110km/h. I usually find a nice semi to draft if I need an economy boost.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't had my TT long enough to get numbers, but here are the numbers I had with the Class C that I owned for 10 years.

60 mph - 9 mpg (97 kph - 4 kpl)
70 mph - 6 mpg (113 kph - 3 kpl)

That is a 17% speed increase and a 33% fuel efficiency decrease. (Metric figures rounded off.)

Speed matters.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it may depend on your truck gearing. On my 2015.5 duramax, towing at 55 I will be in 5th gear for sure in tow/haul mode and likely even if not. At 60mph I'm in 6th when out of tow haul, 62 goes to 6th in tow haul. that extra gear pretty much evens out fuel mileage. Since wind resistance, engine rpm, and tire rotational losses are all square law function vs speed, they will eventually dominate over linear losses, rolling resistance etc. But my experience is that those "square law" losses are balanced by the linear losses up to the 50ish mph range. by the mid to upper 60's they really dominate. But in the 50-low 60 mph range not as dramatic effect on mileage.

you can try but may find the difference in mileage not noticeable enough to be worth the effort.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 11:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It takes 4X the horsepower to double your speed, mostly all is due to wind resistance.

Drive as fast as you can afford

Personally because it's California law and I live here I tend to drive 55-62mph everywhere I go.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't do 80 in a 100 zone unless conditions really call for it (ie: don't run off a curve because you tried to take it at unsafe speeds). If you can safely do the speed limit, stay fairly close to it. At 80, you are a danger on the road worse than someone doing 130. It's particularly bad on 2lane/2way roads where drivers get frustrated stuck behind a slow poke and take risks to get by you.

Generally, you aren't going to see much difference between 90 and 100 but it depends on the drivetrain. Especially with older trucks with fewer gears somewhere around 80-90 you will find a bad spot where the transmission gearing is either too high or too low (It will vary based on engine, transmission and loading), so the engine races under light load or it lugs under heavy load. In that case, it may be more efficient to pick up the pace by 5-10, so the drivetrain is in a more efficient gearing.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fuel mileage drops considerably with speed when towing. Don't worry about those that want to speed, you will never find a speed that will suit those that always want to go like crazy.

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Pipe dream. [emoticon] Here in the GTA regular is running $1.30 to $1.38 per litre (has nothing to do with a litter [emoticon] ) depending on the time of day, any reduction Ford invents will quickly be corrected by fuel suppliers taking an even bigger chunk and in the longer term the price at the pump will still be uncomfortably high. [emoticon]

That's why I moved out of the GTA. Much like Vancouver prices, Toronto GTA prices are a complete rip off.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Driving 10km slower for gas mileage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS