Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Driving 10km slower for gas mileage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Driving 10km slower for gas mileage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1320Fastback wrote:

It takes 4X the horsepower to double your speed, mostly all is due to wind resistance.

Drive as fast as you can afford

Personally because it's California law and I live here I tend to drive 55-62mph everywhere I go.

actually it takes 8x the horsepower to double your speed. however when considering the power to travel a given distance you need to consider time. So.... it takes 8x the horespower to double the speed, but for power required for a given distance it is 4x since doubling the speed results in 1/2 the time to cover a given distance.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

BillandCarole

Vacaville, CA,, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us the sweet spot is somewhere between 60 and 65 mph. We realize that this puts us outside the legal limit of 55 mph in some states and too slow in others that can do 75. However with car traffic and some truck traffic often moving in the 80mph range, the lane turbulence is scary even at 65. We were nearly wrecked in January when some yahoo moving at an estimated 90 mph tried to avoid slowing down for traffic in the opposite lane by squeezing between us and the vehicle to our left. Locked up all the brakes and had a serious white-knuckle event. ugh.
Bill

2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's/Android Pixel 2XL -WAZE
"And were still wandering..."

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently did a run from Kelowna to Rock Creek, so moderate hills. Kept it mostly to 80 in a 90 zone, pulled over when I could if folks were behind me, and averaged 20 l/100km, so in my mind ~14mpg, or ~12mpg US. Was pretty happy with that.

Heading to Banff shortly and will keep it to 80 or 90 kmh. But will be a hillier drive so I figure 25 l/100km. As a rough guess, 10km/h cost about 1 mpg. For a planned trip of about 1000KM towing, the extra gas is about $25.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I take care of the high speeds on I90 by staying off of I90. We travel on state and US roads most of the time. I would rather take US 14 across MI & SD than act as a speed bump on the interstate. We are retired so an extra day of driving is not a big deal to us. We have met the greatest people on the 2 lanes. I will not pull at 80 mph. All that being said, don't drive up my butt if I am doing the speed limit on the 2 lanes, I will slow down for you to make it easier for you to pass us.

Bob & Dawn Married 30 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Driving 10km slower for gas mileage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS