Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Engine keeps running
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Engine keeps running

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

johnhicks wrote:

For my old 6BT5.9 I have a fuse labeled IGN that'll shut it right down if pulled.

If you lose a turbo oil seal and it's running away, killing the ign. wont have any effect.
You have to plug the air intake to choke it off.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klparker wrote:

Have 2001 Itasca, 220 caterpillar diesel. When I turn the ignition off, the engine keeps running. Any idea why this is happening.

Thanks

I'm going to assume this is a typo. Never heard of a "220" CAT, especially in this era coach. Most likely a 330HP 3126 CAT.

"Posted By: Terryallan on 07/11/18 02:42pm

Usually there is an inline valve to shut off the fuel supply"

Nope, no inline fuel valves anywhere on all the CATs I've seen and or worked on in this era coaches. I installed TWO. One before the rear fuel filter and one after it. Now, no possible chance of air entering the system and or, fuel draining back into the tank, as it did prior to my installation of the fuel shut off valves.
Scott

Posted By: jdealcpa on 07/11/18 08:23pm

My 2006 Cat 350 does this every so often. I have changed the ignition switch, been over every thing I can think of, as has the local Cat shop. I merely turn the engine batteries off. My fuel pump is electric so that kills the engine. Problem hasn’t cropped up for a while. So I don’t know if it’s fixed or ???? Good luck.

Your fuel pump is ELECTRIC? May I ask what year/make/model/chassis coach you have that has an electric fuel pump in a CAT equipped coach?

The reason I ask is, our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP only has a lift pump that is attached to the back of the HEUI pump. Of course, neither of those are electric. Just wondering.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ya, I suspect a mechanical pump not electric. But killing 12 VDC to the ignition/engine should shut off the engine. Yes, the exception would be a run-away engine (EXTREMELY rate-- in fact in 18 years I have been on the forum, have never heard of it on a Caterpillar engine).

Probably time to let the OP get back to us to narrow down the speculation.

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

wolfe10 wrote:

Inline shut-off valve-- never seen one on that chassis, but a VERY good idea on the inlet side of the primary fuel filter.

Our Cat had one. And yes we had to use it.

They are a great idea.

What chassis and coach? Very rare to be installed by the chassis maker.

Without it, when changing fuel filter you either have a mess from a diesel leak, or get a lot of air in the fuel line (depends on whether level of fuel in the tank is higher or lower than the filter head.

Was a Ford. CLT9000. Not a RV. But I figured it was standard on Cats. Guess I was wrong. Just another "better idea" from Ford.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Engine keeps running
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS