Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

License Plate

schl44
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
In Wisconsin you are not required to license trailers under 3000lbs GW. So when I'm towing my Cargo trailer which is under 3000lbs it has no plate or license. My plate on my F350 can't be seen due to my Cargo trailer. It haven't been stopped yet for this but I'm wondering what other states law actually is for having your plate obstructed.
22 REPLIES 22

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
DMV makes the offer because it is more revenue for them, just like specialized plates. Its all about money.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Getting stopped by any cop is a pita.

And IMHO I don't think there is a cop on the road that knows ALL the states different requirements for all the different types of vehicles/trailers.

And if he is coming up from behind you he doesn't 'know' which state you are from to make that decision whether to stop you or not. He's stopping you because you have no plate.

With all that is going on nowadays with police stops? That is why I 'did' purchase a plate that was not necessary for my TT to AVOID the whole scenario. Why do you think DMV offers that option? :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
It's still time away from driving. And the time it takes go dig out my wallet to show I was a legal oregon resident. And then digging out the trailer registration to show it was legally regisgtered to an oregon address.

Grit dog wrote:
10-4 there good buddy! See how that works in the real world though.
I can easily side with spending an extra $20 or whatever to make sure you look legit to ALL cops and remove the easy excuse to pull you over.

I hear you both and agree that less stops is preferred. I was responding to this portion:

Then ask for registration, insurance, make sure lights worked, etc. etc. trying to find an excuse to write a ticket.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
I guess you don't know about Rodriguez vs U.S..

When they find out you don't need no stinking plate on your trailer they can no longer legally detain you. The stop can no longer extend beyond the time that it takes how to write a ticket. If they don't have a drug sniffing dog with them they can't legally detain you anymore to wait for a drug sniffing dog to arrive. They cannot legally subject you to a retaliatory "roadside safety inspection" either.

Know your rights and stand up for them. Not standing up for them is why they get away with it.

It's still time away from driving. And the time it takes go dig out my wallet to show I was a legal oregon resident. And then digging out the trailer registration to show it was legally regisgtered to an oregon address.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
It's similar here in Okla. To avoid problems I had vanity plates (fully legal) made for my utility and horse trailers just to maybe forestall another state's LEO from bothering to stop me for no tag. +40 years hauling utility and horse trailers around 3/4 of this great land of ours and we have yet to be stopped. I also carry a single page hardcopy of the Okla law, provided by ODOT or the Tax Comm (forget which) in case I do get questioned by a LEO.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
JesLookin wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
I'm from Wisconsin.

When I bought my first lightweight TT, Wisconsin DMV told me the same thing, it doesn't require a plate.

Well I was going to hit the road with the TT traveling south and most certainly was not in the mood to be stopped by every cop in every county I drove thru for no plate.

You DO have the option to buy a plate for it.
The Wisconsin DMV offers this option.

IMHO, JMHO I would buy the plate versus getting stopped every day as you travel

I bought a plate for the TT even though it was not required.

This is the right answer!
Pretty sure that registration on a trailer it's only $15 per year.

Here is a quote from the Wisconsin DOT form MV1-Recreation
? RVT RV Trailer (walls rigid, collapsible or non-collapsible - for human habitation.) Show length at right. Fee = $15
This form does not show anything about weight for travel trailers.. I have pulled popups through Colorado on many occasions and on every trip, we have been pulled over at least once.

Yes you are right the 'no plate' is related to length not weight. I erroneously referred to weight in my post!

Where weight DOES comes into play is for Wisconsin emissions testing.
Anything over 3,000 lbs does NOT need to emission test.

I found this out when I registered my one ton truck. Get this, they gave me the OPTION of whether I wanted to register as over 3,000!!

Well......hell yes if it means I don't have to jump hoops with emissions testing I'll gladly pay a few bucks more for the plate.(this was several years ago requirements may have changed since then) But I still don't have to take my MH thru emissions.

Albeit I find it interesting that usually a bigger vehicle is going to emit more, yet they don't require them to be tested and the fact that you can actually resister a vehicle for more than it actually weighs.!!!????

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is a quote from the Wisconsin DOT form MV1-Recreation

? RVT RV Trailer (walls rigid, collapsible or non-collapsible - for human habitation.) Show length at right. Fee = $15

This form does not show anything about weight for travel trailers.. I have pulled popups through Colorado on many occassions and on every trip, we have been pulled over at least once.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you don't know about Rodriguez vs U.S..

When they find out you don't need no stinking plate on your trailer they can no longer legally detain you. The stop can no longer extend beyond the time that it takes how to write a ticket. If they don't have a drug sniffing dog with them they can't legally detain you anymore to wait for a drug sniffing dog to arrive. They cannot legally subject you to a retaliatory "roadside safety inspection" either.

Know your rights and stand up for them. Not standing up for them is why they get away with it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wnjj wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
oregon has similar laws for trailers. Washington basically requires everything to be licensed. I traveled with the oregon legal trailer (motorcycle hauler) to washington quite often. Finally got a oregon plate for it because for whatever reason it gave WA LEO's a supposed reason to stop me. Usually for no plate, even though I think they new oregon didn't require it. Then ask for registration, insurance, make sure lights worked, etc. etc. trying to find an excuse to write a ticket. Never got a ticket, but IMHO it gave them a fake excuse for a stop. Usually got pulled over with an LEO coming up behind me so they wouldn't know I was from oregon and hence completely legal in WA. But once stopped, all the reason to hassle me.

If the trailer license plate was the only reason they stopped you, once they learn youโ€™re legal their probable cause/reasonable suspicion for the stop evaporates and you are free to go if you want.

10-4 there good buddy! See how that works in the real world though.
I can easily side with spending an extra $20 or whatever to make sure you look legit to ALL cops and remove the easy excuse to pull you over.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
My TT's plate is blocked by the ladder. I was stopped in TX for speeding. The state trooper commented on the blockage but since it was made that way did not issue a ticket.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
Doesn't every truck pulling a trailer or 5er have the rear plate 'obstructed'?
WI is not the only state that does not issue plates for certain trailers. Most LEOs who work traffic know what states those are

Oklahoma doesn't require a license plate on utility or boat trailers, unless it's a commercial trailer.
We do have to have one on travel trailers and 5ers though.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
oregon has similar laws for trailers. Washington basically requires everything to be licensed. I traveled with the oregon legal trailer (motorcycle hauler) to washington quite often. Finally got a oregon plate for it because for whatever reason it gave WA LEO's a supposed reason to stop me. Usually for no plate, even though I think they new oregon didn't require it. Then ask for registration, insurance, make sure lights worked, etc. etc. trying to find an excuse to write a ticket. Never got a ticket, but IMHO it gave them a fake excuse for a stop. Usually got pulled over with an LEO coming up behind me so they wouldn't know I was from oregon and hence completely legal in WA. But once stopped, all the reason to hassle me.

If the trailer license plate was the only reason they stopped you, once they learn youโ€™re legal their probable cause/reasonable suspicion for the stop evaporates and you are free to go if you want.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
I'm from Wisconsin.

When I bought my first lightweight TT, Wisconsin DMV told me the same thing, it doesn't require a plate.

Well I was going to hit the road with the TT traveling south and most certainly was not in the mood to be stopped by every cop in every county I drove thru for no plate.

You DO have the option to buy a plate for it.
The Wisconsin DMV offers this option.

IMHO, JMHO I would buy the plate versus getting stopped every day as you travel.

I bought a plate for the TT even though it was not required.

This is the right answer!

Pretty sure that registration on a trailer it's only $15 per year.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab