Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: License Plate
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> License Plate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
schl44

wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,
In Wisconsin you are not required to license trailers under 3000lbs GW. So when I'm towing my Cargo trailer which is under 3000lbs it has no plate or license. My plate on my F350 can't be seen due to my Cargo trailer. It haven't been stopped yet for this but I'm wondering what other states law actually is for having your plate obstructed.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pennsylvania Vehicle Code

1332. Display of registration plate.

(b) Obscuring plate.--It is unlawful to display on any vehicle a registration plate which:

(1) is so dirty as to prevent the reading of the number or letters thereon at a reasonable distance;

(2) is obscured in any manner which inhibits the proper operation of an automated red light enforcement system in place pursuant to section 3116 (relating to automated red light enforcement systems in first class cities) or 3117 (relating to automated red light enforcement systems in certain municipalities) or any other automated enforcement system authorized by this title or an electronic toll collection system as authorized under 74 Pa.C.S. ยง 8117 (relating to electronic toll collection);

(3) is otherwise illegible at a reasonable distance or is obscured in any manner; or

(4) is obscured, covered or otherwise obstructed in a manner which inhibits the visibility of the issuing jurisdiction at a reasonable distance.

(c) Penalty for obscured plate.--Any person who violates subsection (b)(2) or (4) commits a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $100.

NMDriver2

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In NM the Law says it must be legible and visible. "The plate shall be securely fastened at all times in a fixed horizontal position at a height of not less than twelve inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate. It shall be in a place and position so as to be clearly visible, and it shall be maintained free from foreign material and in a condition to be clearly legible"

It does not say from where it must be visible and I have never heard of anyone with a trailer being stopped for having the plate obscured by what ever is in tow. When my 5er is behind the truck you cannot see the truck plate unless you hunker down under the overhang, but from there it is visible. [emoticon]

Turret Class traveler

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't every truck pulling a trailer or 5er have the rear plate 'obstructed'?
You might get stopped because your trailer doesn't have a plate but not because the LEO can't see the truck plate. From behind there's no way of telling if you're from a state that does not issue light trailer plates, if you had a plate and lost it, or if you are running without a plate. You may get stopped to see why you don't have a plate.
WI is not the only state that does not issue plates for certain trailers. Most LEOs who work traffic know what states those are

Camped in every state but Alaska

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm from Wisconsin.

When I bought my first lightweight TT, Wisconsin DMV told me the same thing, it doesn't require a plate.

Well I was going to hit the road with the TT traveling south and most certainly was not in the mood to be stopped by every cop in every county I drove thru for no plate.

You DO have the option to buy a plate for it.
The Wisconsin DMV offers this option.

IMHO, JMHO I would buy the plate versus getting stopped every day as you travel.

I bought a plate for the TT even though it was not required.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bikes and their rack behind our TT block the trailers plate pretty bad. So far, so good with LEO.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Along the lines of obscured plates, how are motorists getting away with the dark black plastic license plate covers? You need a powerful flashlight close up to make out the numbers.

Seeing more and more like this, and heavily tinted front windows.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in TN which does not require a plate for a small trailer, like a utility trailer or tow dolly. I have been towing utility trailers and/or tow dollies for 40 years, in multiple states, and never been stopped. Could I be stopped? Absolutely. But when the LEO sees my TN car tags and TN DL, I am free to go.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

I'm from Wisconsin.

When I bought my first lightweight TT, Wisconsin DMV told me the same thing, it doesn't require a plate.

Well I was going to hit the road with the TT traveling south and most certainly was not in the mood to be stopped by every cop in every county I drove thru for no plate.

IMHO, JMHO I would buy the plate versus getting stopped every day as you travel.

This is the right answer!

JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

rockhillmanor wrote:

I'm from Wisconsin.

This is the right answer!

Pretty sure that registration on a trailer it's only $15 per year.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> License Plate
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS