Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Does your 6.4 Hemi eat lifters?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Does your 6.4 Hemi eat lifters?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a little bit of a stretch for tow vehicles but since the Ram's have the 6.4 Hemi option it kinda fits.

I have a Challenger 392 SRT with the 6.4 and it developed a tick at 24K miles (believe it or not, it's been babied). From my research before buying, this engine does not normally suffer from the infamous "Hemi tick" that the 5.7 does.
My tick ended up being one badly worn lifter. While they were in there, they found two more on the opposite bank that we're also worn. Cam was inspected and found to still be fine only because we caught it early. I'm told that sometimes this takes out the cam as well on this eng.
Dodge ended up replacing all 16 lifters under warranty (and had it three weeks because there were 5000 lifters on B/O).

The truck has a very different eng tune but has anyone heard of or had lifter issues with their 6.4?

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope I don't!!
Only 5k miles on the wifes new SRT Charger and the main reason we bought a new one (other than it's cool looking and performs like a car 2x it's price) is because our 06 has been for all intents and purposes Bulletproof.
I don't get on the SRT forums much but from what I have, I don't recall it being a prevalent issue, the "hemi tick" on the newer vehicles

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, weird!

Sounds like soft rollers to me. I wonder if a contractor screwed up? It would be interesting to know what they Rockwell at?

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like it has to be a hardness issue. The new lifters have a revision of "AC" so something has changed but the dealer couldn't tell me if they were improved. It was the lifters at the ends of the head that wore. Hope it isn't an oiling issue..

Decided I will get rid of it in 2020 and will trade it for new RAM/Cummins. By that time I will have had my fun [emoticon]

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure that you are using the proper weight oil and changing it as recommended. Have not heard of any rampant lifter failures in 6.4 HEMIs.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes it’s an issue, but a very small one and only affects certain engines more than others. And there is no set reason for why it affects certain engines and not others of the same style.

Best to just keep an ear out and listen, when it starts ticking take it in!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

Shaneo

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't post a whole bunch, really enjoy reading through the forums though. This particular topic got my blood pumping :-)

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi w/ 4.10 rear end. All oil changes have been through the dealer along with other maintenance items. I am on my THIRD set of lifters. Each time replacing cams and all lifters. The dealership has never been able to pinpoint the specific cause of the problem.. I will be taking it in again during the August/Sept. time frame because the rattling has returned. I will have discussions with the dealer on what can be done through Ram, I don't have high expectations they will be willing to help though.

I am not towing heavy and it is a daily driver truck. I have right about 53,000 miles....... I 'm counting down the days until I can just leave this truck at the dealership and drive a Duramax home.

Me, the Wife and two little guys
2016 Ram 2500 CC, 6.4 Hemi
2016 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shaneo wrote:

All oil changes have been through the dealer along with other maintenance items. I am on my THIRD set of lifters. Each time replacing cams and all lifters. The dealership has never been able to pinpoint the specific cause of the problem.. I will be taking it in again during the August/Sept. time frame because the rattling has returned. I will have discussions with the dealer on what can be done through Ram, I don't have high expectations they will be willing to help though.

At a minimum, I would change both the type of oil and who does the changing. Chances are that your dealer service is as dumb as mine.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It isn't oil, I use the correct 100% 0-40 synthetic oil and only OEM SRT oil filters.
Shane, your scaring me! If this pops up again it will be a gonner!

Shaneo

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry to shed the negative light, this issue has plagued me for the past ~20,000 miles. We are not far from getting rid of the truck.
I do have a friend, 2014 Ram 6.4 w/ 4.10s, basically the same truck with 75,000 without a hint of problems. It just seems I drew the short straw. I enjoy the truck and appreciate the capabilities it brings to the table without the extra cost of a diesel, but this issue has caused me to question the motor.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Does your 6.4 Hemi eat lifters?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS