Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Does your 6.4 Hemi eat lifters?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Does your 6.4 Hemi eat lifters?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I just discused it and we'll dump the SRT (after fixing it) if it does it again.
There may be a new truck in my future sooner than I would like.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is not a new problem and is a symptom of the MDS system that's constantly deactivating the lifters so the valves stay closed. If there's any extended delays in activating the lifters when the cylinders are activated, it can cause a misfire which can cause additional havoc.

Get a Hellcat since they don't have this MDS system.

BTW...Although he didn't advertise it publicly, goducks10 unloaded his cummins for a 6.4 hemi.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Tough"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Chargers are definitely having lifter problems. The local PD has had consider problems keeping lifters in the cars. I don't know if that translates to the 6.4 but the 5.7 has this issue.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2015 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can MDS be deactivated by cimputer command? Maybe an aftermarket flash?

Under 3/36 you can still get a fca extended service contract. Although then you really must dot all i's and cross all t's of service work, all by dealership.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From all accounts the issue has nothing to do with MDS and the damage is not on the MDS lifters. Only specific cylinders and lifters have anything to do with MDS. There are as many accounts of lifters being damaged on manual trans cars as well and they don't do MDS at all.
Police have found that the 5.7 eats lifters when the eng is idled for a long time and then run very hard - MDS is not ever engaged.
MDS specific lifters can have their own failure mode but this thread isn't about that as it isn't what failed on our eng.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 11:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They need to buy this truck back. I'm sorry but it will never be reliable with that much work done in only 2 years.

Shaneo wrote:

I don't post a whole bunch, really enjoy reading through the forums though. This particular topic got my blood pumping :-)

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi w/ 4.10 rear end. All oil changes have been through the dealer along with other maintenance items. I am on my THIRD set of lifters. Each time replacing cams and all lifters. The dealership has never been able to pinpoint the specific cause of the problem.. I will be taking it in again during the August/Sept. time frame because the rattling has returned. I will have discussions with the dealer on what can be done through Ram, I don't have high expectations they will be willing to help though.

I am not towing heavy and it is a daily driver truck. I have right about 53,000 miles....... I 'm counting down the days until I can just leave this truck at the dealership and drive a Duramax home.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

Can MDS be deactivated by cimputer command? Maybe an aftermarket flash?

Under 3/36 you can still get a fca extended service contract. Although then you really must dot all i's and cross all t's of service work, all by dealership.

Yes it can be disabled with a after market tune. This will also eliminate the studder coming off idle and pressing on the go peddle.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shaneo wrote:

I don't post a whole bunch, really enjoy reading through the forums though. This particular topic got my blood pumping :-)

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi w/ 4.10 rear end. All oil changes have been through the dealer along with other maintenance items. I am on my THIRD set of lifters. Each time replacing cams and all lifters. The dealership has never been able to pinpoint the specific cause of the problem.. I will be taking it in again during the August/Sept. time frame because the rattling has returned. I will have discussions with the dealer on what can be done through Ram, I don't have high expectations they will be willing to help though.

I am not towing heavy and it is a daily driver truck. I have right about 53,000 miles....... I 'm counting down the days until I can just leave this truck at the dealership and drive a Duramax home.

Did the dealer also replace the solenoids that controls oil to the mds lifters?

* This post was edited 07/12/18 07:24am by FishOnOne *

gopherslayer

WI

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shaneo wrote:

Sounds like you have a dealership that diagnoses just like Ford did with the 6.oh nos. There’s more going on than just replacing the lifters.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am very curious and might play with an architectural discussion am having over at another forum

Are these engines deactivated during stuck in traffic/stop-sign/etc moments and turns OFF...to then turn back on when the throttle is touched?

IMHO...more of an issue with high pressure parts vs journal bears, like the crank to block vs valve train

Discussion is that during that short off and the high frequency they see...might the parts go metal to metal while waiting for traffic to move again?

Lots depends on many other things...engine oil film strength a biggie...

A tiny, tiny movement while metal to metal and dependent on the film strength of the oil to not allow it to go metal to metal

It is well documented that a high percentage of ICE wear (have seen numbers up to 60%) occurs during the first start after sitting over night...metal to metal wear...

They why of engine oiler kits so you start the ICE....AFTER...you run that engine oiler for a minute or two...

Just curious if these are part of that self stop/start to save the OEMs a tiny fraction in fuel usage

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Does your 6.4 Hemi eat lifters?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS