Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Does your 6.4 Hemi eat lifters?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Does your 6.4 Hemi eat lifters?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And to add. In my professional opinion, as a tech. Since the 5W20 use has started across all manuf, the engine issues have risen. I believe it has to do with the thin oil that is spec’d for fuel mileage! Had an 07 Chrysler T&C and it used a quart of oil every 1500 miles between oil changes using the factory recommended 5W20. I switched to 5W30 and it used only a 1/2 qt every 3500miles. The only change to thinner oil was due to lower CAFE standards.

My Excursion is also supposed to use 5W20. After pulling into a campground for the night and starting it the next morning it would rattle for 5 seconds on startup due to oil drain back. Too much and unnecessary. I again switched to 5W30 as the previous motors used and it makes no noise and uses no oil, at least not by the stick! And it has had M1 since I’ve owned it with 17k miles. I do 4K mike oil changes.

0W20 and 5W20 while good for mileage leaves a lot to be desired for lubrication.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 16yrs
Daughter Marissa 15yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B Dexter EZ Flex
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 10:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

And to add. In my professional opinion, as a tech. Since the 5W20 use has started across all manuf, the engine issues have risen. I believe it has to do with the thin oil that is spec’d for fuel mileage! Had an 07 Chrysler T&C and it used a quart of oil every 1500 miles between oil changes using the factory recommended 5W20. I switched to 5W30 and it used only a 1/2 qt every 3500miles. The only change to thinner oil was due to lower CAFE standards.

My Excursion is also supposed to use 5W20. After pulling into a campground for the night and starting it the next morning it would rattle for 5 seconds on startup due to oil drain back. Too much and unnecessary. I again switched to 5W30 as the previous motors used and it makes no noise and uses no oil, at least not by the stick! And it has had M1 since I’ve owned it with 17k miles. I do 4K mike oil changes.

0W20 and 5W20 while good for mileage leaves a lot to be desired for lubrication.

I agree with your theory. Saying that my wife’s 2005 Acura MDX is silky smooth and quiet at all times on dino 5W20, even at start up. And it has 110k miles and has never used a drop of oil.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

mudfuel07

North Florida!

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I thought one of the reasons for switching was the tighter clearances in the engine as well. A thicker oil would not get by and lubricate.

2018 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 XP
2017 Coachmen Catalina Legacy 333RETS

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mudfuel07 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

I thought one of the reasons for switching was the tighter clearances in the engine as well. A thicker oil would not get by and lubricate.

Some yes and some no. My 07 T&C with the 3.8 was specd for 5w20. The 05’s (I think) were specd at 5W30. Everything in the motor stayed the same, the only change was the oil.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

mudfuel07 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

Some yes and some no. My 07 T&C with the 3.8 was specd for 5w20. The 05’s (I think) were specd at 5W30. Everything in the motor stayed the same, the only change was the oil.

The 6.4 requires 0W40 synthetic oil.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Tough"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the Hemi’s have tight toloerances. But I still believe the oil is still to thin for extended intervals and longevity.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 11:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

0W40 isn't "required" in a Hemi. What Dodge guy says is true. The 20W oils were specd for CAFE standards. Been running valvoline blue 15-40 or whatever other diesel oil was on sale in the wife's old srt charger for years now. At about 140kmiles now, the car runs like a top. The extent of repairs or maint to the engine have been oil changes, new spark plugs around 100k and.....that's it.
However I don't believe 0w20 necessarily lubricates measurably worse either.
Have run several trucks on the reccomended 0W20 oil. Granted not real high miles, but there's millions of cars running lightweight oil and they're not eating lifters or bearings.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/18 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

I agree with your theory. Saying that my wife’s 2005 Acura MDX is silky smooth and quiet at all times on dino 5W20, even at start up. And it has 110k miles and has never used a drop of oil.

And my wifes 2014 Edge Sport runs 10k mile OCI on 5W20 and doesn't use a drop either with 60k miles. The lighter weight oils are not a problem if the engine was properly designed for it.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/18 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

0W40 isn't "required" in a Hemi. What Dodge guy says is true. The 20W oils were specd for CAFE standards. Been running valvoline blue 15-40 or whatever other diesel oil was on sale in the wife's old srt charger for years now. At about 140kmiles now, the car runs like a top. The extent of repairs or maint to the engine have been oil changes, new spark plugs around 100k and.....that's it.
However I don't believe 0w20 necessarily lubricates measurably worse either.
Have run several trucks on the reccomended 0W20 oil. Granted not real high miles, but there's millions of cars running lightweight oil and they're not eating lifters or bearings.

Again... 0W40 is required for the 6.4 Hemi and requires to have a special mopar specification.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/18 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Again... 0W40 is required for the 6.4 Hemi and requires to have a special mopar specification.

Well how's that working out? Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result is the definition of what? If it were my engine, I would set the requirements and choose something that I thought had a chance of improving the situation.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Does your 6.4 Hemi eat lifters?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS