cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using a 30 amp EMS with a 50 amp coach

ShadySkins
Explorer
Explorer
Is it safe to use my portable Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X (30 ammp EMS) with my 50 amp coach (using a dogbone)? We are camping at Frontier Town in Ocean City MD starting next week and will have both 30 amp and 50 amp service available. However, I would feel better using my EMS to plug into the pedestal. So... EMS into 30 amp service, dogbone adapter into EMS and finally 50 amp coach into dogbone.

I literally bought the EMS-PT30X from Amazon 33 days ago and I'm outside my return window.

Unexpectedly we upgraded from a 30 AMP TT to a 50 AMP TT this week and I still want to use my EMS. My TT is prewired for a 2nd A/C, hence the need for 50 AMP service.

Going from a 2011 KZ Spree 321BHS to a 2018 Grand Design Imagine 3170BH
2011 KZ 321BHS
Pulled by a 2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7
Connected with a Reese Dual Cam
Stopped by a Tekonsha P3
4 REPLIES 4

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Safe, yes. But you may find it quite limiting to the needs of a 50 amp power center. Why? Because 30 amps is 3600 watts, and 50 amps is 6000 watts on two legs (12,000 watts in total).

I'd suggest you try to sell the 30 amp--and upgrade to a 50 amp.

The weird part is that for 50 amp a good EMS is much more important. A loose or poor neutral connection can fry one leg of your RV in short order.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ShadySkins
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Totally. Be aware that in another concurrent thread one forum member ran into a situation where the park has rules against plugging any rig wired with 50 amp service into a 30 amp campsite service. Have never seen this before but apparently it's happening more and more. Can't say whether you would run into any restrictions on a site offering both 30 amp & 50 amp service. I suppose a better long term solution might be to sell the 30 amp EMS you just bought and use the proceeds to buy the 50 amp version, even though it'll cost.

Thanks for the feedback. I just recently read that entire thread ๐Ÿ™‚

In the meantime, Amazon is letting me return it outside the return window as a one time courtesy. I literally just ordered the 50 amp version.
2011 KZ 321BHS
Pulled by a 2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7
Connected with a Reese Dual Cam
Stopped by a Tekonsha P3

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You will be perfectly safe using the 30A EMS.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ShadySkins wrote:
Is it safe to use my portable Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X (30 ammp EMS) with my 50 amp coach (using a dogbone)?

Totally. Be aware that in another concurrent thread one forum member ran into a situation where the park has rules against plugging any rig wired with 50 amp service into a 30 amp campsite service. Have never seen this before but apparently it's happening more and more. Can't say whether you would run into any restrictions on a site offering both 30 amp & 50 amp service. I suppose a better long term solution might be to sell the 30 amp EMS you just bought and use the proceeds to buy the 50 amp version, even though it'll cost.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380