cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What I learned this time out: slider and hand brake

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
There we were, a week out. Pulled into camp, started the setting up ritual. My bride hit the switch for the slider to slide out...and nothing happened. I checked the fuses, but was unable to figure out where the fuse might be for the slider (there is one, but is it labeled? The sketch in the owner's manual implies that it might be an inline fuse, in which case, who knows where it could be found?). It was past closing time at Winnebago, and we haven't had enough issues with the RV that I'd have felt good about calling the mechanic we've used, even if I knew the phone number there. In desperation, I called the service writer at the Mercedes dealership that services the motor part of our Itasca.

Good service writers know way more than is needed for their jobs; and he came through, suggesting that I check that the hand brake was engaged. It turns out many of the RV manufacturers have an interlock between hand brake and slider switch, to ensure that you've parked before pushing out the slider.

I pulled up the hand brake, and, presto! The slider slid right out.

I post this here for other folks new to the RV world, like I am.
6 REPLIES 6

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Mich F wrote:
Pops wrote:
Yeah, experienced that several times. DW says slide won't move, Don't even think about it, just go staight to the parking brakes. Panic time if I ever found the parking brake on.

Yup, I've done that myself a couple of times. :S
I have an added twist in that for quite a while I opened and closed the slide without the engine running. I read that the engine should be running, so since then I've had the engine running while operating the slide. Now it would open or close if the engine isn't running, even though the house battery is fine - strange ?

I think maybe they want the engine running so the voltage to the slide motor is as high as possible.
Even with our TT, I leave it plugged into 120V or plug into the truck when ever moving the slides. The tend to move a little faster.

I'm sure that's the reason they suggest running the engine, but mine would, but now won't move, unless the engine is running. I'm always plugged into 120 volt when moving the slide in or out, since the compartment for the electric cord is under the slide.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happened to me also. I use a slide lock and I have the key that turns on the power to the slide operation panel on a lanyard and that key hangs on the slide lock. Don't ask why........

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Mich F wrote:
Pops wrote:
Yeah, experienced that several times. DW says slide won't move, Don't even think about it, just go staight to the parking brakes. Panic time if I ever found the parking brake on.

I have an added twist in that for quite a while I opened and closed the slide without the engine running. I read that the engine should be running, so since then I've had the engine running while operating the slide. Now it would open or close if the engine isn't running, even though the house battery is fine - strange ?

I think maybe they want the engine running so the voltage to the slide motor is as high as possible.
Even with our TT, I leave it plugged into 120V or plug into the truck when ever moving the slides. The tend to move a little faster.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Pops wrote:

2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Pops
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Itasca Cambria 28T

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
GOOD on that Service Writer! And on you, Bill, for sharing your experience. Which just for me, suggests a need for Check Lists. Used to use those, but got away from them. With my increasing number of memory glitches, might be time to go back to...What were we talking about?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB