Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Travel Trailer Theft
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Travel Trailer Theft

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
BeerBrewer

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are considering buying a travel trailer. I already own a pick-up and we were thinking that we'd buy a "new-ish" used travel travel (within towing limits of my truck) and leisurely tour the country (not full time), now that we have more time.

We thought travel to an area of interest and stop at a camp ground, unhook the trailer and then use our truck to tour the surrounding area. Basically using the TT as a home base. So over the past few months I've done a ton of reading/learning about RVing, towing, travel trailers, etc. Unfortunately, I keep reading more and more that travel trailers are prone to theft. I've read stories about people returning to their campsite to find their rig was broken into or that their entire rig was stolen!

Obviously we have to take precautions but I'm wondering how big this problem is and if it is a real concern. So is it a big concern or are these just isolated incidents? Does anyone know the real statistics on TT or RV theft or where I can find them?

Your comments and experiences are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Kavoom

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BeerBrewer wrote:

My wife and I are considering buying a travel trailer. I already own a pick-up and we were thinking that we'd buy a "new-ish" used travel travel (within towing limits of my truck) and leisurely tour the country (not full time), now that we have more time.

We thought travel to an area of interest and stop at a camp ground, unhook the trailer and then use our truck to tour the surrounding area. Basically using the TT as a home base. So over the past few months I've done a ton of reading/learning about RVing, towing, travel trailers, etc. Unfortunately, I keep reading more and more that travel trailers are prone to theft. I've read stories about people returning to their campsite to find their rig was broken into or that their entire rig was stolen!

Obviously we have to take precautions but I'm wondering how big this problem is and if it is a real concern. So is it a big concern or are these just isolated incidents? Does anyone know the real statistics on TT or RV theft or where I can find them?

Your comments and experiences are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I've not heard of it being a "big" problem. I've had a pop up for 13 years and never a problem. I went to a TT this year. They are easy to break into but I've not seen it or heard of it happening.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BeerBrewer wrote:

Unfortunately, I keep reading more and more that travel trailers are prone to theft. I've read stories about people returning to their campsite to find their rig was broken into or that their entire rig was stolen!

In a storage lot, sure, but in a campground? [emoticon] - after 20 yrs of this that would be news to me. I can't think of a single person I know who has suffered trailer theft from a campground. If you're concerned put a coupler lock on it, make sure it's properly insured, and forgetaboutit. [emoticon]

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV theft per se is pretty rare in or from an established camp ground. If you have to store your RV in some parking lot, sure, lots of problems there. But in over 35 years of RVing my RVs have always be next to my house. There are ways to better secure an RV, coupling locks, locking wheel chaulks, digital entry locks. These sorts of things will stop all but the most dedicated criminal.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with SoundGuy, lock it up and don't worry. Just about anything can be stolen or vandalized.
Chances of any problems at a CG are very slim.
Will you have a housesitter for your S&B while you're traveling?

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a campground there is always a lot of people around to "look out" for such activity.

We do a lot of dry camping and boondocking where we are the only people around. Never had a problem in 16 years of camping. We do have a lock on our hitch to security it when towing and to keep someone from towing off the trailer, but the lock is easy broken -- don't ask me how I know -- lost key

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BeerBrewer wrote:

Does anyone know the real statistics on TT or RV theft or where I can find them?

Most likely, such break ins or thefts would be reported to local police departments. I doubt that there is any national or even state entity that compiles such data. Most likely they would be lumped in with all other burglaries or thefts of all kinds.

Which means we're basically left with anecdotes and speculation rather than real evidence . . .

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the others. We've been RV'ing since 1997 with various types of trailers and haven't been broken into. We use caution where we camp. We lock up, put a hitch lock on it and take into consideration where we are. Sometimes we stay put if we're not familiar with the area, but then again, we may only be there overnight, so staying put is not an issue. If we're in a good area, and you'll know, then touring for the day is not a problem. We do that a lot, but DH feels better doing this in a new area while at a campground as opposed to boondocking. But, we do that often while boondocking locally because we know the area and safety of it.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW, I would guess that 5th Wheels are less likely to be stolen than regular trailers. Every truck seems to come from the factory with a receiver these days, but someone would have to go to the trouble to set up to pull a 5th wheel in order to steal one.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was still active in our truck shop, I was involved in several RV repos from campgrounds. In every case when the debtor wasn't on site or cooperative, other guests in the campground approached us asking what we were up to while we were hooking up and disconnecting power, water, sewer, etc. In some cases we saw them take pictures of our truck and license plate, and once called the police. We nearly always advised the park management of what we doing on arrival, so they didn't get involved. The only time we didn't notify the park was when it was the park owner's RV we were repossessing. [emoticon]

As said, in a campground everyone tends to look out for everyone else, so true thefts of an RV are less likely. Storage lots on the other hand, are much easier places for both thieves and repo folks to work undetected.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Travel Trailer Theft
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS