Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Travel Trailer Theft
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Travel Trailer Theft

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

typical paranoia on social media. Why would anyone report that their stuff was NOT stolen? Kind of like reviews, only the negatives get posted or the extremely positive. You never read, "oh my camping trip was just neutral"?

The OP sounds like my BIL, won't put wheels on his portable generator because it "might" make it easier for someone to steal. When in fact they'd just pick it up and take it but the wheels would make it much easier for him to handle.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

aguablanco

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Far more cars and truck are stolen every year. This topic comes up constantly and I have no idea where all the reports of thefts are coming from. If somebody wants it bad enough, no matter what it is, they can find a way to get it. Put a hitch lock on it, buy good insurance, and go have fun.
RichH

2012 Silverado 5.3L 6 Speed
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

Kavoom

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nayther wrote:

typical paranoia on social media. Why would anyone report that their stuff was NOT stolen? Kind of like reviews, only the negatives get posted or the extremely positive. You never read, "oh my camping trip was just neutral"?

The OP sounds like my BIL, won't put wheels on his portable generator because it "might" make it easier for someone to steal. When in fact they'd just pick it up and take it but the wheels would make it much easier for him to handle.

OP was just asking...

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been RVing for about 30 years and have never known anyone or even heard of anyone having their trailer stolen. I've also spent a lot of time on this forum and have certainly not seen any kind of trend like that.
I believe it's a non-issue.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on the good neighbors... You look out for theirs and they look out for yours...

We used to camp in some kinda off grid some times and the large dog bowl with an chain laying next to it works wonders... Put the name KILLER on the bowl hehe...

Hard to beat knowing your neighbor campers however...

Roy Ken

[email protected]

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to add some spice to the discussion, a few years ago a woman was on this forum asking us to watch for her Class A. Seemed a 'friend' of hers just drove off with it from somewhere in the south. It was pretty exciting following the search. The thief had a great time ending up in an Idaho forest campground where she was spotted and turned in I believe.

But if the OP would stick to established campgrounds, and keep bicycles locked up while there, theft is generally a minor worry.

Now if you go to Mexico, even at campgrounds with guards, things can disappear. Last winter, one of the trailer campers in Campo San Felipe had all his LED xmas lights stolen. While they were lit. The night watchman was fired for that.

[email protected]
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BeerBrewer wrote:

My wife and I are considering buying a travel trailer. I already own a pick-up and we were thinking that we'd buy a "new-ish" used travel travel (within towing limits of my truck) and leisurely tour the country (not full time), now that we have more time.

Do keep in mind that your TRUCK is far more likely to be stolen than your trailer. Ford Super Duty's seem to be a popular target for thieves. Consider a good alarm system or a disabling system like Ravelco, or both.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been camping and RV'ing for over 40 years. The only time we have had a break in was at one of the RV storage lots where we stored our TT. Luckily it appeared ours was the last one the thieves broke into so they only took a portable tape player and two ski vests.

We've camped in remote spots and popular campgrounds nationwide and have never had a problem. I have heard the stories about thefts but they are about as rare as folks being attacked by a jack-a-lope while camping....

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think about what it takes to steal an RV setup in a campground.

1 Unhook and stow the electric and water connections.
2 Remove the chocks and crank up the jacks.
3 Hook up the trailer, often requiring a special hitch.

All of this occurring while people are around, often someone coming up and asking if you need help when it becomes obvious you don’t know anything about that trailer.

Then where is the economic gain? We hear constantly how used RVs have no value for resale. We know they are almost worth nothing if being parted out. The market is simply too small.

Some say a stolen trailer might end up in the woods as a drug lab. Why take the risk when such TT can be found real cheap. Nothing that any of us would want to live in or take on the road but they are around.

I’d love to see how a thief deals with rearranging recliners and such to pull in my three slides.

Things like automatic levelers would frustrate a thief trying to figure them out.

Successful thieves rely on stealth and not attracting attention. A TT or other RV is exactly what they don’t want to have anything to do with.

Yes there are stupid criminals. But they don’t last long. Think about some urban thug trying too cut my live 50amp power cord quickly with a pair of bolt cutters.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Sailors are essential because even Marines need heroes”

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got hit up for a loaf of bread once. Was sitting at picnic table and raccoon jumped up and stole it. Didn't mess with trailer though[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Travel Trailer Theft
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS