Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Travel Trailer Theft
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Travel Trailer Theft

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

Then where is the economic gain? We hear constantly how used RVs have no value for resale. We know they are almost worth nothing if being parted out. The market is simply too small.

I generally agree with this. The exception would be highly desirable models like Airstreams.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"we thought travel to an area of interest and stop at a camp ground, unhook the trailer and then use our truck to tour the surrounding area."

Exactly what I do. No problems for me or anyone I know. I lock the coupler, place a lock that fits into the hitch receiver AND lock my chains with a padlock. At least it will slow them down.

On the other side, this is what I like to do and am insured. So the chance of theft is one I've decided to risk. If my TT is stolen I'll take the insurance money and some savings and buy another Winnebago.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the above that you have better chance of having the TV stolen rather than the TT.

Several years Ford trucks were easy to steal, now the Chevy Duramax is easier to steal.

Look at it this way. It's easier to steal a truck, strip it, and sell the parts, tires, rims, engine, etc. Or, if they don't strip it, they're using it for a quick sale or to exchange it for a drug deal. Sure there are TTs stolen, but there's not near the reason to steal them as there is the TT.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing to be paranoid over. Nice part is a TT is easy to secure from being easily towed away. Good hitch lock and chain a couple wheels together, or my personal favorite. If you're going to leave it a long time somewhere unattended and are more worried about getting the camper back than the insurance check, take off half the lug nuts and leave the others loose. They'll dump the trailer wherever the first wheel falls off and it shouldn't be too far away!

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campers are generally good people as I observed. I would, however, be cautious in bad neighborhood and parking your trailer in one. And in storage lots with shady reputations or not so good areas.

jwandvassie

Ormond Beach Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep your insurance paid and go have fun.
Never heard of one being stolen from a campground.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Unfortunately, I keep reading more and more that travel trailers are prone to theft. I've read stories about people returning to their campsite to find their rig was broken into or that their entire rig was stolen!

Please link me up to these stories! In over 50 years of camping I have never heard of a trailer being stolen from a campground. I've asked a lot of people. Nope, not one.
Again, storage is a different matter so where are you reading about this?

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

doxiemom11

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our 8th year full-time and have never heard of or met anyone who's had their trailer broken into or stolen.

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as coupler locks go, I guess they're better than nothing. But do a little searching on YouTube and you'll see plenty of "tests" that demonstrate just how easy these are to beat.

I absolutely agree that you are 99.9% safe in a good campground.

Now the question arises, how safe is to leave a trailer parked in a nice boondocking spot while you go off exploring for a day?

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never heard of theft in a campground. Perhaps a chair or something else of interest, but never a break-in or total theft of TT at a campground.

We had our HTT stored at a storage lot for about 6 months when it was broken in to. I only had the door lock on, not the deadbolt. I didn't think it needed it. Nothing was stolen, they just busted the lock. I put the dead bolt on and a week later they tried to break in again. They couldn't get the door open, so they broke the window in the door and even ripped the door skin a couple inches. The police thought they were probably just looking for a place to sleep. I thought that odd since it happened at the end of April after a really cold winter (cold for SE, Coastal GA anyway). Just out of spite, they broke the hitch pin lock, but it did not appear they tried to actually hitch up.

I noticed that the only other TT in the lot had also been broken into. That TT had a coupler lock, which the suspect also cut off. Not sure why, maybe they thought the same person owned it. That storage lot had no exposure. Someone could have broken in to any of the vehicles in storage without anyone noticing.

We moved the HTT to the backyard for about 15 months, the HOA doesn't allow it, but only person owner could see it and he didn't complain. We moved it to another storage lot with a lot more exposure and cameras on the outside storage area. Never had a problem there in the almost 6 years we stored our HTT and then Motorhome there.

Probably one of the most stolen items are batteries in storage. We always pulled ours off the tongue along with the propane tanks. After the initial break-in, we always kept the deadbolt locked when in storage. Since it was a Hybrid, we always locked all three beds.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Travel Trailer Theft
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS