Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Toilet won't flush
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Toilet won't flush

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
duggram

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yesterday I did my weekly tank drain (I full time) and both black and gray made sounds and felt like they flushed. This morning my toilet is full of sewer water. I turned the water off to my trailer so I could flush without adding water to the problem. I then gently stuck a broom handle down the hole and met a solid surface.

Does anyone have a suggestion on where to start to fix this?

Mfan

Otsego,Mi

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time for a trade in?

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How far down did the broom handle go; just inches after the hole, or a foot or two before bumping into something solid?

Another question? Do you ever flush your black tank out after dumping?

Just trying to figure out where the blockage is actually occurring?

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

Straylight

The Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What kind of toilet do you have? Do the tanks seem correctly aligned when you look under the rig?

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Open black tank dump valve ...then have someone flush toilet/hold toilet open
See if black tank drains more out of it.....clogged tank vent/toilet open provides venting

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

mobilefleet

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

go up on the roof and check inside the black tank vent stack.. it's prob clogged with an insect or bird nest, or there's a forign object in your tank blocking the outlet drain, like a piece of wood from the factory (seen it before) or a feminine product (those are no-no's in an rv toilet).

duggram

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I started with a large plunger. Open the flush valve and push. On the first push I heard a bang come from below the toilet but no drainage. I repeated the plunging for about 10 times. No drainage. I got a short snake with a long handle. It felt like I couldn't touch bottom with it. So I went back and got a 15' snake. It went all the way in, but I think it was curling up. Still no drainage. I went up on the roof and checked the vents. They're both open.

Could I use something like Drano on it? Would that hurt the system?

I tried the broom handle again and it goes 18" (measured) before hit something. How do you find the tank outlet?

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I then gently stuck a broom handle down the hole and met a solid surface.

I don't know how your RV is configured, but in mine, the toilet is positioned directly above the black tank, so when you open the toilet flapper valve and look down when the tank is empty, you can see the translucent plastic bottom of the tank.

So if I suck a broom handle down my toilet hole, it also would strike a solid surface - the bottom of the tank.

If your tank is full of water, you have to potential problems:

1) The tank is not draining. The way to verify this is as was said above: Simply open your drain valve with no hose hooked up, have someone flush the toilet. Water should come out of the waste gate. If no water comes out, you have a blockage.

2) You have a water leak somewhere that is filling your black water tank. In some RVs I am given to understand that not just the toilet dumps into the black tank. Sometimes the bathroom sink or other things can also dump into the black tank. If this is the case on your RV, and you have a leaky faucet, it could be filling up your black tank.

Steve

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

On my RV, the tank outlet is about 12" away from the waste gate. A black pipe goes from the tank to the waste gate. When I lift my access hatch, I can see my black tank and the waste gate.

Steve

duggram

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something that I don't understand is that yesterday when I drained my black tank you could hear flow and feel it in the drain tube. So I know it was draining. But why did it backup into the toilet today? Is there some kind of pre-black tank holding tank?

Any help appreciated.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Toilet won't flush
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS