Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Toilet won't flush
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Toilet won't flush

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
DavinD

Litchfield Park, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you perhaps have electric dump valves?

2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

duggram

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maillemaker wrote:

Quote:

1) The tank is not draining. The way to verify this is as was said above: Simply open your drain valve with no hose hooked up, have someone flush the toilet. Water should come out of the waste gate. If no water comes out, you have a blockage.

Steve

Steve, I can't do this:

The toilet has sewer water in it. I'm not disconnecting the sewer hookup line and flushing the toiet.

duggram

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DavinD wrote:

Do you perhaps have electric dump valves?

No, not that I know of. The trailer is an '06 Keystone Raptor. Of course it has been fine until today.

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

duggram wrote:

maillemaker wrote:

Quote:

1) The tank is not draining. The way to verify this is as was said above: Simply open your drain valve with no hose hooked up, have someone flush the toilet. Water should come out of the waste gate. If no water comes out, you have a blockage.

Steve

Steve, I can't do this:

The toilet has sewer water in it. I'm not disconnecting the sewer hookup line and flushing the toiet.
Use a bucket - you *need* to see what's happening...

The one thing that I've heard of is the plastic round disc that is cut out of the tank to add the outlet pipe sometimes is left in the tank and can then try to come out with a dump and clog the opening.

Good luck!

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub
*** Also a 2004 Roadtrek 170 (See pic in Profile) ***
Trip Pics

golf_bears

Rapid City, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you try putting your 15 ft snake up the drain line, not down the toilet?

Did you check the black valve pull cable to see if it's disconnected/broken from the valve?

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does your black tank gauge normally work? What's it's saying now?

Seems like it started to drain and clogged. You're looking down the toilet and see water correct?

Maybe leave the black tank drain open all day and hopefully it will slowly drain until empty. Then go about finding the clog.

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duggram. Failure to drain pops up on here every couple months. Here is a link to the last thread. OP thought tank was frozen but ended up being the dreaded poop pyramid.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29568489/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

Some of the newer RVs use a remote cable to open the valve and the cable has been known to break. Are you sure the valve is opening today as it was yesterday? The thread above speaks to several methods to clear a blockage. I don't know if Drano will affect the components in your system and I doubt there is a pre-tank. Not knowing your trailer, the broom handle may be stopping at an elbow in the system or hitting the bottom of the tank. Either way, its a ****-shoot (just had to work that in) that any snake will find its way to the exit of the tank unless its inserted from the drain end.

WRT filling, as Maillemaker mentioned. The only ways to fill the black tank are rain coming down the vent pipe, the flush valve on the toilet not fully turning off and running into the tank, or on some RV's the bathroom sink drains to the black tank and that valve isn't fully turning off.

In the big scheme of things, getting the black tank to drain may be the bigger priority.

mnoeltne

Grantsville, UT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get one of the clear plastic reverse flush attachments. This will allow you to watch what gets drained, and you can try pushing some water back up into the tank from the bottom in case something has the outlet blocked.

Mark & Joyce Noeltner along with Cricket the Chihuahua
and memories of Chico the Chihuahua (Sept 2002 to Sept 5, 2013)
2005 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Y
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Black tanks can be quite shallow. Ours in only about 6" high. If your broomstick won't go in far it's probably hitting the tank bottom and won't tell you much.

Liquid Drano can be safely used. In fact, our owners manual says to use it. Won't hurt metal or plastic but double check the label if you buy another brand. You'll need to drive around to let the Drano + contents slosh around. May need to repeat multiple times to get the tank thoroughly cleaned. I use it once or twice a year to get the tank back to factory fresh, factory clean condition.

I see that your unit is an '06 Raptor. Is this a sudden problem of getting worse over time? Have you owned this long? With black tanks, you need to add a few gallons of water before each use and you shouldn't skimp on water with each flush. If you don't, you can get the infamous pyramid of poo and at the least, the tank below the toilet can get pretty gummed up and "stuff" won't move along very well.

In some cases, the factory may have left behind a disc of the ABS inside the tank but on an '06 would be unlikely. If you hold the toilet valve open, water *should* be able to freely drain out through the outlet. If the valve is remote cable operated, need to see if the blade valve is opening properly. Not easy if you have an enclosed underbelly.

Before dumping, you always want to fill the tank to full or near full. Forget about using the sensors to see how full the tank is. Shut the water off and peer down the toilet with a flashlight. I added a shutoff valve behind our toilet to make this easier.

Tanks come in all sorts of dimensions, configurations and outlet locations. With some, pushing a snake or hose back up the outlet won't do much but is worth trying. I once used about a 6' length of stiff rubber garden hose back into the tank to clear it. You could also try pushing a hose around the tank from down the toilet. With some tank configurations, a backflush elbow on the outlet won't do much - doesn't work on our current TT but worked great on a previous TT. A clear elbow is great for seeing what's coming out and how clear the water is getting.

If you're at a CG, see if they have a honey wagon service. They may be able to suck the tank clean.

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

mobilefleet

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you have a blockage at the gate valve. I bet there is something at the tank valve blocking it, or valve is stuck in the closed position, verify the valve opening is actually open if you can when you pull the valve handle. Sometimes if yours is one of those that has a cable that goes up into the underbelly where you can't see it, may feel like it opens when you pull the handle, but may have actually broken off completely or partially, rendering the valve unopened.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Toilet won't flush
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS