Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Toilet won't flush
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Toilet won't flush

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We still need more info from the OP about the toilet. Is the toilet positioned directly over the black tank? When pushing the pedal, in the past, can you look directly down the hole of the toilet and into the black tank? If so, what do you see now? Get a flashlight and look down. What do you see.

Is your toilet attached to a pipe that has a bend or a twist in it and not directly over the tank? If so, you could have a clog in the pipe, like what could happen in a house. But if the toilet is directly above the tank, I don't understand how you can have a blockage, unless the inside of the neck of the toilet itself is full. But pushing a broom handle down would have pushed anything in there on down. Otherwise, you have a poop pyramid from the bottom of the tank to the top of the tank.

Now, where that sewer water came from is very strange. Water runs down hill, unless under pressure. If your outside tank valves are left open all the time, and you have solid PVC type pipes plumbed directly into your camper tank, it's possible back pressure could potentially fill the black tank from the campground sewer system and back up into the bowel of the trailer. But that would have to be a LOT of back - up and a LOT of pressure to come out of the ground 4 to 6 feet high, fill a 40 or 50 gallon tank, and still have enough back flow to come up into the toilet bowl.

So the question we all need answered is, how is your toilet and the plumbing under it done? Straight shot down or through a pipe to the black tank?

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

duggram

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey thanks for all the replies! I'll try to remember all the comments I need to make. The toilet sits on top of the tank. Yesterday when I flushed it I could see that the water level was close to the bottom of the valve, so I drained the tank. Also, you should know that the gray water flows into the black water pipe above the main slide valve. So I can tell that the main slide valve is still working by draining the gray tank, and it is passing fluid. I'm supposed to leave for a week long trip tonight which complicates things a little. My plan now is to clean out the toilet bowl with the plunger, which does a good job of sucking up fluid. I have the water shut off just in case it really can bleed into the black tank some how. I think I would have heard the toilet if the water were running in it and it never does when I'm looking at it. I'll keep messing with the snakes to see if I can make some progress but all they seem to be doing now is cleaning/loosening up old debris from the sides of the tank. I had to run and errand and was visiting with a friend who has had similar issues with his RV. Like he says my system could get any more simple, which is frustrating. I should be able to work this out.

For sure, I am not taking the hose of the pipe and running the snake up it. If the tank is full and it appears to be that would make a mess I never want to see, and I'm sure my park manager feels the same.

So I'll keep messing with my problem here until it's bed time just to see if I can get lucky. Thanks again for all the replies. Each one is good. Thank you.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Darn you have a trip!!
Can you safely climb on the roof, use duct tape to seal the blank tank vent, then plunge like crazy with the black tank drain valve open?

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok.. If an RV Gravity Toilet (Sea-Land for example) will not flush you have a very short suspect list.

1: Broken linkage and the flush gate/ball valve not opening.. Clearly NOT the issue here
2: Tank full....
3: Clogged plumbing (Well the plunger should have fixed that)

I have seen #3.. ONCE (well actually twice but same toilet)

From everything the OP tried it's down to Tank full

NOTE vent clogged will not stop toilet from flushing but it will.. Blow back at you

So your problem may be the tank is not emptying. I have not had that experience, but I have read about one case. Or two.

And again the suspect list is short
1: Valve not opening (Fairly common actually but you'd know that)
2: Clogged outlet .. The one I'm talking about... The workers when they cut the hole in the floor for the toilet pipe just dropped the wood down into the tankj. Where is eventually covered the outlet.. Wood was returned to CEO of comnpany.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

mobilefleet

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would also try a Flush King. They work great to backflush debris out of there. If you don't have one- buy one

Slownsy

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently had similar problem. Blocking of pipe toilet to tank, tank draining true hose but toilet not emptying.. pushed hose op true drain pipe and in to tank while running it in to bucket no luck. Finally brought hose in to toilet and down in to pipe while running it and finally cleared. I do have a 45 offset and believe to much paper not much water was the issue.
Frank.

Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

98coachman

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mnoeltne wrote:

Get one of the clear plastic reverse flush attachments. This will allow you to watch what gets drained, and you can try pushing some water back up into the tank from the bottom in case something has the outlet blocked.
x2 good luck

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pasusan wrote:

The one thing that I've heard of is the plastic round disc that is cut out of the tank to add the outlet pipe sometimes is left in the tank and can then try to come out with a dump and clog the opening.

This is a real thing. It happened to me. I bought my first RV brand spanking new. When it was about 2 years old, I was dumping at home with a Flojet Macerator and had a clear section installed so I could see when the effluent was clear. (Nice big word.) All of a sudden, there was a CLUNK and there was this nice round disk in the clear section. Of course, it didn't get macerated, but when I took the macerator off the RV, that nice round disk was where they had cut one of the openings in the black tank. After that, my black tank drained MUCH faster and better. (If I had been using the stinky slinky at the campground, I would have never known it had been in there.)

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You got to be sure the valve is open.Like somebody say before the cable can broke and you can't operate the gate valve.

2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,,Morryde SRE 4000.6 points LIPPERD Level-up.

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/18 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the Grey pipe flowing into the main pipe below the black tank but before the main valve, then there may be a valve between black tank and main valve that's not working. The previous draining may have only emptied the black tank pipe but not the tank itself because the black tank valve didn't function. Would explain the black tank still being full.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Toilet won't flush
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS