Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Low Shore Voltage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Low Shore Voltage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

everyone else has given the same answer i would. thats why i spent the money on the progressive unit also . its doing the job it is supposed to do. listen to it.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a reason why the surge protector has a warning that says not to plug in anything if all the lights are not showing all green.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is hard this say what voltage is too low. For the water heater it means little. For the battery charging gear, you would have to check the nominal voltage operating . So too the television and microwave.

Low voltage to the AC often means higher current which usually is not good. But how much is too low.

As mentioned, the rest of the folks at the park went blissfully on their way, never knowing they had a problem.

Let's face it, on these hot summer days, with maximum loads on the utility companies, how many of us know or worry about how much the voltage drop is in our own homes.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RTCastillo wrote:

There is a reason why the surge protector has a warning that says not to plug in anything if all the lights are not showing all green.

The OP doesn't have just a surge protector, he has an EMS w/surge protection - BIG difference. The former can check for a number of campsite source errors but has no ability to do anything about it, in which case if one plugs one of these units into source power, notes an error as indicated by the lights, but then continues to plug the trailer into the unit then obviously what ever error has been detected (an open ground for example) will be passed on to the trailer. [emoticon] An EMS prevents this as any error detected will cause the unit to not pass power to the trailer - which is exactly what happened to the OP.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbpru wrote:

Low voltage to the AC often means higher current which usually is not good. But how much is too low.

Design engineers at TRC have decided that value is 102 vac, those at Progressive have chosen 104 vac as their low voltage trip threshold. Remember, damage doesn't necessarily occur right away but can be cumulative, showing up many months, even years later when suddenly the A/C (or whatever) decides to not work. It's then you know your trailer has been repeatedly exposed to excessively low voltage - using an EMS helps avoid this. And yes, I've BTDT. [emoticon]

rbpru wrote:

As mentioned, the rest of the folks at the park went blissfully on their way, never knowing they had a problem.

And are the same folks who often later can't figure out why their A/C, or microwave oven, or converter, or whatever suddenly died. [emoticon]

rbpru wrote:

Let's face it, on these hot summer days, with maximum loads on the utility companies, how many of us know or worry about how much the voltage drop is in our own homes.

I do, but here in S Ontario I can honestly say that I've never seen source voltage even under heavy load on a hot summer day drop below 112 vac. That in itself is a bit shocking since normal voltage here tends to hover around 123 vac, nonetheless it's not anywhere near the 104 vac or 102 vac EMS manufacturers have selected as their low voltage threshold.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe Dometic service manual specifically calls out 103.5 as minimum voltage. This is the motor rating 115vac less 10%. Although I believe that would be at the motor not pedestal. PI at 104 seems about right.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

RTCastillo wrote:

The OP doesn't have just a surge protector, he has an EMS w/surge protection - BIG difference. The former can check for a number of campsite source errors but has no ability to do anything about it, in which case if one plugs one of these units into source power, notes an error as indicated by the lights, but then continues to plug the trailer into the unit then obviously what ever error has been detected (an open ground for example) will be passed on to the trailer. [emoticon] An EMS prevents this as any error detected will cause the unit to not pass power to the trailer - which is exactly what happened to the OP.

Thanks! That's my point. If a cheap surge protector indicator says voltage or current is bad, why proceed and face the risk of damage to the pricey appliances in your rig.

PApopup

Glen Rock, PA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone! Had never seen this condition before but we knew it was not right. The autoformer sounds interesting, but given that this is the first time we experienced the low voltage, will probably hold off on purchasing.

It was a hot weekend so with all the A/C's going I did not think it would get better at our site. We checked one of the sites below us and it was 115 volts. Guess it was just bad luck. The campground did give us our money back as there were no other open sites, but then charged us $5 for cancelling. I just wanted to leave to get to the other CG.

Bob, Kim, Gabby, & Matt">
2011 Flafstadff V-Lite 30WTBS ">
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LT Crew Cab 4X4 ">

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I believe Dometic service manual specifically calls out 103.5 as minimum voltage. This is the motor rating 115vac less 10%. Although I believe that would be at the motor not pedestal. PI at 104 seems about right.

I remember this being mentioned in another recent discussion and as a result did look through all the documentation I have and online sources for my Dometic Brisk II and wasn't able to find any reference to minimal source voltage. I'd agree though, 103.5 vac sounds about right to me.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RTCastillo wrote:

SoundGuy wrote:

RTCastillo wrote:

Thanks! That's my point. If a cheap surge protector indicator says voltage or current is bad, why proceed and face the risk of damage to the pricey appliances in your rig.

Which is why I would always recommend an EMS w/surge protection, despite the higher cost, over a simple surge protector.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Low Shore Voltage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS