cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OEM and Non-OEM T-Connector both connected?

graym
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

First of all I'm new to this forum, and I've been Googling for hours to get an answer to my question without any luck - please forgive me if this question has already been answered!

I have a 2017 Ford Explorer XLT which came fitted with an OEM hitch and 4-flat T-Connector style wiring harness.

Yesterday I installed my new 7-blade aftermarket (Tekonsha) RV wiring harness I got from Amazon which was just a straight replacement to the old so I could haul my boat trailer which has a 6-round connector, figured it was best to go big so I could easily step down if needed (the boat came with a 7-blade to 6-round adapter). The new connector is working great with no issues.

However I did not rip out the OEM 4-flat so I could easily revert if needed but it did pose the question:

Is there any reason I couldn't have both T-Connectors hooked up at the same time in series? It would be very easy to do so and have them both hooked up ready to go. I figured this would be good also to prevent the now exposed pins of the OEM harness from corrosion, as well as giving me the ability to keep on using both when I'm just renting a uhaul etc.

I'm aware of the voltage load limits if they were both in use at the same time. But if I only ever planned on using one at a time, would this be an okay thing to do?

Thanks so much in advance.
2 REPLIES 2

graym
Explorer
Explorer
Okay this is really good to know then, thank you.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see a problem, as you won't be hooking up to both anytime.
-- Chris Bryant